The Lure Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out mid afternoon yesterday to mark at low tide. Got chatting to young lad who was after edible crabs and decided to hunt around for myself while I waited for the tide to turn. Mega crabs everywhere, found a nice one tangled in some fishing line! See pic. Anyway an hour into the flood and the water is beginning to cover all this vegetation so I try a surface lure, it’s a Sebile Bonga Minnow 95. The sun’s out, the wind’s picking up a bit form the NW and there’s a very strong current building between me and the big rock opposite. Gulls are investigating something further out and I suddenly get a few knocks but no takers, then the gulls come closer and one youngster dives straight for the lure and is hooked through the top of its beak. Must be 60 or 70 yards out so I have to reel the silly bugger all the way back in whilst it tries repeatedly to take off. Wierd thing trying to control something fighting the rod that’s above water. Got the hook out, gave it biscuit and sent it on it’s way unharmed. Decided to change the lure just in case and tried a few shallow divers against the ever increasing flow, but all is quiet. The rock where I’m standing gives perfect access to the large gulley that I’m targeting but the tide encircles it and cuts it off entirely from the beach so there’s a limited time here, and it was soon reaching that time, without me having caught a single fish when I thought it showed such promise. However, I clipped on a Sasuke 75 Shad Magma Candy that I’ve just got from Basslures. I thought it looked a bit small to be honest and wouldn’t have much of an action to it and was really surprised at how well it casts and wobbles for its size. It’s a sinker and I hoped it might hold well in the current. Third cast in and up comes a good size Pollack. Quickly back in and immediately another, and another. Once landed, both fish shake off the lure without me having to un hook them. Didn’t think much of it. Every cast now was getting hit and soon I had a schoolie followed by another Pollack that broke free at the last minute. I’m looking over my shoulder regularly now to see if my time’s up and have do the wade back, but not quite yet. In again and bang, loads of fight in this one and up comes a respectable fish of 46cm. Quick shot and back in again, heart’s pumping and immediately get another Pollack. One more for the road I thought and the rod bent right down, thought I had PB here but after a minute or two of really struggling with it I felt it break free from the hooks and was gutted to see the tiny lure only beneath me. Tried two more casts in the hope of a rematch but had to get going. Waded back across to the beach in water above my waist. Felt a bit disappointed but also such excitement at what had been a brilliant 15 or 20 minutes. I’m going to change the hooks on the lure and put some slightly bigger ones on.

bass100.jpg mark100.jpg crab100.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Funny thing is because the crab had been tied up for probably days or weeks even by the fishing line, i cut it free and let it go because i felt sorry for it. Then of course, rather ironically, i had second thoughts but resisted!

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I've got to admit, I have caught a few Lobsters when baitfishing and have always put them back. Its that look in their tiny little beady eyes...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts