Crushed barbs/ barbless hooks for wrasse! | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Crushed barbs/ barbless hooks for wrasse!

Discussion in 'Tackle & Tips' started by {name}, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Mackerel

Done a search but never found any info on this, does anyone crush the barbs? will the SP slide off the hook if the barb is crushed? are there barbless/weedless hooks for SP's?
    Been doing quite a bit of SP fishing for wrasse since the turn of the year since there's not much else around and always find it really difficult to remove hooks from those big rubber lips, is there an easy way to do this?
    Removed one hook from a smaller wrasse today and it done quite a bit of damaged to the fish!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Striper

Plenty of people do crush the barbs Stephen when wrasse fishing for the very reason you describe. I'd use your normal weedless hooks, or jigheads and just crush the barbs. There shouldn't be any problems with the sp slipping off

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sea Trout

I always crush barbs for wrasse. Cant think of any i have lost because of it. Sooo much easier on the fish.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mackerel

Cheers guys that's exactly what i was hoping to here, Crushed it is then!

5. Striper

Another vote for crushed! Never lost a SP through crushing barbs and once hooked, they rarely seem to come off.

6. Salmon

I would really really strongly recommend anyone fishing for wrasse to debarb thoroughly. I hate seeing a 1lb wrasse getting it's jaw completely deformed by someone trying to drag a 2/0 barbed hook out of it's head. Their mouths are simply too tough. I'm glad most others feel the same as me, I love wrasse.

7. Perch

Got to agree with everyone else, barbless also has the advantage of quicker return for the fish so less buggering about for you. I don't know if I've lost wrasse through this but when I miss a hit or loose a fish quite often they don't go far as they seem to be pretty territorial, so there's always the possibility of a second or third go!

8. Mullet (foul hooked)

Always crush the barbs, I did with Carp and I will be for Wrasse :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Striper

I had some success with small barbless coarse hooks last year when the wrasse were being a bit shy. Worked a treat and they were all nicely lip hooked. Going to try some barbless carp hooks this year.

10. Salmon

I'll 10th that.....I crush most of my barbs on my singles for wrasse and bass leaving just a little bump on the hook.