The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All

I was looking at this Daiwa 8 Braid Tournament but cannot find out alot about it. Any views both positive & negative would be welcome.

Regards

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Hi Sean

I have used it around 30lb b/s and it is fine, good VFM. Not particularly smooth compared to say YGK but reasonably thin diameter and well behaved. May even bring some to the Weymouth comp on a heavy outfit.

Also see Henry Gilbey's comments on his blog.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Its been very good to me so far. I use the 15lb mostly but also have the 20lb and 35lb on various reels. Not had any problems at all with it so far.

Reactions: Sean Taylor

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Its been very good to me so far. I use the 15lb mostly but also have the 20lb and 35lb on various reels. Not had any problems at all with it so far.
Ben,where did you get the 15lbs spool from ?
I am thinking of this braid but can only find it as low as 20lbs.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I think I got it from that shop in St Malo, but may be wrong. I ordered either the 15 or 35 from Poland, so it was one or the other.

·
Registered
216 Posts
According to their website, Askari UK, based in Kent, have the 135m reels down to 4.9kg (11lb?)

http://www.askari-fishing.co.uk/__W...d-lines-2/daiwa-tournament-8-braid/detail.jsf

and the 300m reels down to 8.9kg (20lb?).

http://www.askari-fishing.co.uk/__W...lines-2/daiwa-tournament-8-braid-1/detail.jsf

The lighter sizes seem a bit pricey. Is that the going rate??

They do have regular 20% discounts on orders over £100, often every other weekend. Current 20% off offer runs out tomorrow (thursday), I think. Get on their mailing list and they tell you about the special offers.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
According to their website, Askari UK, based in Kent, have the 135m reels down to 4.9kg (11lb?)

http://www.askari-fishing.co.uk/__W...d-lines-2/daiwa-tournament-8-braid/detail.jsf

and the 300m reels down to 8.9kg (20lb?).

http://www.askari-fishing.co.uk/__W...lines-2/daiwa-tournament-8-braid-1/detail.jsf

The lighter sizes seem a bit pricey. Is that the going rate??

They do have regular 20% discounts on orders over £100, often every other weekend. Current 20% off offer runs out tomorrow (thursday), I think. Get on their mailing list and they tell you about the special offers.
Blimey, that is all well over-priced (strange for Askari)(unless I just missed something with Daiwa prices?!). The 300m spools should be selling for about £30. Askkari are German though come to think of it so that probably explains the difference. We're actually lucky here in soem respects that Daiwa products often sell for less here than they do in Europe or further afield. The Tournament braid is obviously one of those products.

Saying that, it's not unusual for the finer diameters of braids to be the more expensive. I'm guessing they are just more difficult to make.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Loaded up my spools with the Daiwa 8 Braid Tournament 20lb line ready for this weekend, it sure is very thin.
Have loads of brand new plugs to lose this sunday (Mr Fish ... Start the z-claw making machine up ... I will be contacting you soon)
I can imagine the thin braid cutting into my fingers though after a few hundred casts, specialy if my fingers are wet.

I will let you know if I catch anything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just picked up a 2 spools one of 15lb and one of 20lb in 135m spools From www.tackledirect2u.co.uk Its not on there website yet but give them a ring and they'll help.

As for fishing Haven't tried it yet but it feels very nice and appears to be thinner than the Yamatoyo SW Super PE I have on at the moment!

(update)

Took it out for a few casts last night and seems to be very good. No fish though!! :-(

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
try it with care mate dont throw to many new plugs with it just yet i have heard a lot of bad reports about the 20lb stuff it breaks very easily no where near the 20lb bs its ment to be

·
Registered
455 Posts
ive been using the 20 lb too, and have had no probs what so ever. definatly making it my regular!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
ive been using the 30lb last year without any probs but a few lads on the site said they had probs with the 20lb

1 - 20 of 21 Posts