The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a quick wizz of a handle on one of these in Nantes. It may not have been as smooth as the £300 reels sitting near it, but was pretty nice and stats wise is pretty much perfect for our fishing! And nicely priced. Has anybody actually tried one, or owned one?

Being an American reel, they're stats kick out similar priced Daiwa's to the floor.

Got my eyes on a few other Daiwa deals, but if they fall through I may be back after the Coastal.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Never heard of this one, Ben. Be honest - how much tackle does one (Cornish) man need!?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol. When you buy new rods Timothy, you need new reels! ;-)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Fair point, extremely well presented sir!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Spec looks about right and price is fair for the features, Ben. Might be worth a punt...

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
To add my tuppence worth, I would go for 2 Shimano Exages for (almost)the same price. My 4000 has been flawless for the past year. Can't comment on the 2500 yet.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Spec looks about right and price is fair for the features, Ben. Might be worth a punt...
Id agree that the specs look good, but for the price it's amazing value. Way above anything else Daiwa do for the same money - from a Saltwater point of view. CRBB bearings throughout and the waterproof drag. You'd have to pay £300+ to get that on any of their UK reels. In fact, only the Branzino has all CRBB.

Seems as though the majority of the US reels are made for saltwater, whereas here, pretty much none of them really are - not solely. I thought until today that the likes of the Tierra and Advantage-A were exactly the same reels as the TD-R and Caldia X over here. They're not. The previous 2 are cheaper in the US than we'd pay for our 2 here, but specs wise they're well above. Not a rant as such, but another example of Daiwa UK not selling what is already available (that they already produce), and what we need. Gets more obvious when you look in to it that their market in the UK is freshwater based. As an ex-freshwater angler, its sad to know that the vast, vast majority of freshwater anglers are happy paying over the odds for what they're being offered. There's probably a reason the reels are expensive here for what you get (compared to the US), but its still sad that it's happening.

The Coastal (and Certate - rated well above other UK Daiwa's!) is pretty much the only US reel that seems to be available here, and as a result, it knocks spots off our UK models, especially when you compare stats and price.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
To add my tuppence worth, I would go for 2 Shimano Exages for (almost)the same price. My 4000 has been flawless for the past year. Can't comment on the 2500 yet.
I used Exage's for quite a while Tim so know what you mean. 4000's and 2500's. Good reels. Sadly I'm gone to the dogs of tartyness. A sad story with a poor (literally) ending....

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Is this to go on the Tournament?
You can't put a 'cheap' reel on a rod like that if it is!!!! ;-)
Sell some of your lure collection and get a Branzino or Certate.... you KNOW you want one!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is this to go on the Tournament?
You can't put a 'cheap' reel on a rod like that if it is!!!! ;-)
Sell some of your lure collection and get a Branzino or Certate.... you KNOW you want one!
Stop it Michael!

I know you're right, I just don't want to admit it. It is for the Tournament. Just trying to be sensible, for once! Although I dont think silver and blue goes with black and gold ;-)

Just keeping my options open. If I didn't have to wait weeks for a new Certate to arrive, I'd have one. I'm a bit desperate at the momemnt though as I dented the spool of my main Abu so braid catches on the cast. Having to use my current second choice so want to sort something out quickly.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL. This is my last day of decision making, so just wondering if anyody has actually used one, before taking the plunge on either this or something else. Stats are good obviously, but stats don't tell you if it's gonna fall apart or not. :p

·
Registered
96 Posts
At roughly the same price you can get a Daiwa Team Daiwa Advantage in the US... and that seems a better deal to me (real four)... the Coastal is just a ´pimped´ Exceller and those Excellers sell for around $ 70-75 in the US.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Willem.

Hard to work out isn't it. Being just a pimped Exceller doesn't sound that great, but with all the parts being more corrosion resistant than reels costing a lot more, is high quality and smoothness so necessary if the reel is going to cope with the conditions, and getting wet?! I dunno... I probably won't get one, but wouldn't mind giving one a go just so I can see what they're like.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Thanks Willem.

Hard to work out isn't it. Being just a pimped Exceller doesn't sound that great, but with all the parts being more corrosion resistant than reels costing a lot more, is high quality and smoothness so necessary if the reel is going to cope with the conditions, and getting wet?! I dunno... I probably won't get one, but wouldn't mind giving one a go just so I can see what they're like.
go on, go on, go on, you told me that I'm in spending mode, aren't you too???

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Ben, some sizes of the new Certates are being released in Japan...... A 2500R or 3000 would be an ideal size.....

AND what is with the 'Michael'?!?!?! You sound like my mum!!!! LOL

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lol @ both.

Yep, spotted them 'Mike'. Think the 2500R is basically a 2500 reel with the power of the 3000. Useful if you're using a short powerful rod that needs a 2500 size to balance it properly.

I pretty much know what I'm going to do now.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ben I was looking at one of these to use from the kayak but ended up getting an Infinity Q 3000 Zaion from Andy Thomas at the Tackle Box in Falmouth - lower spec than the Certate but very smooth and lightweight with good line lay and WP drag. I'm very pleased with it.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They do look stunning actually Ben. Will have to take a look if we ever cross paths!! Should do at some point.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts