Daiwa J-Braid - An Un-Scientific User Survey | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Daiwa J-Braid - An Un-Scientific User Survey

Discussion in 'Lines' started by {name}, May 31, 2016.

1. Sea Trout Staff Member

Off the back of Crevan's J-Braid review (see here) where he'd had some bad experiences with it's strength and fraying, and my experience of using it heavily for 8 months where it has been excellent except for me having to mysteriously cut back some of the chartreuse sections on my multi-coloured 20lb J-Braid. This got me thinking as it seemed that the chartreuse sections seemed to be ageing and reacting with salt water differently than the other colours (the pink, blue, dark green parts of the line still look brand new).

So, totally unscientific, and just to see if there is any possible pattern to this, please tell me shortly and sweetly the following info regarding your experience of using Daiwa J-Braid:

1. Colour used (chartreuse, dark green or multi-coloured)
    2. Breaking strain used (16lb, 20lb etc)
    3. Any issues with premature ageing, fraying, strength OR whether all was fine.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Sea Trout Staff Member

1. Multi-coloured
    2. 20lb
    3. All very good, strong and thin but had to cut back chartreuse sections as they frayed, aged faster than the other parts of the line.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pollock

Ive bought from the USA labelled 10lb and from Poland 20lb, but both diameters on those labels was 0.16mm.
    Both spools are chartruese and have been ok . No problems to report.
    Cheers

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Banned

1. Chartreuse
    2. 26lb
    3. Dirt

• Like Like x 1
  5. Banned

I should have added Pats
    1. Multicoloured
    2. 26lb
    3. As there are youngsters who read these forums I wont write the language that Pat used to describe it, suffice to say that the local Church bell sounded a good few times :)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Banned

1. Dark Green
    2. 20lb.
    3. Love it.

7. Banned

0.18 (26lb) green from Poland
    Love it so far ;)

8. Blanker

1. Dark green
    2. 18lb bs, 0.13mm thickness
    3. No issues so far, apart from the colour fades/ comes off quite quickly, but this doesn't bother me and has no effect on the braids performance.

Bought mine off eBay from a UK seller, got 300m for £20. Was advertised as carp fishing braid.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sandeel

1. Chart
    2. 26.5lb
    3. Had to cut back the braid regularly as it frayed. So much so that there is not enough left to use after 1/2 a season

1. Chart
    2. 20lb
    3. Had to cut back the braid regularly as it frayed which was slower than the 26.5lb

1. Multi
    2. 18lb
    3. Not used as much but did have cut it back but again not as much as the above, didn't pay attention to the colours that frayed though

• Like Like x 1
  10. Minnow

I have been using the 0.06 on my ultralight freshwater kit for a few months now. I also have 0.06 YGK Upgrade on my LRF gear. I notice the J braid seems to feel a little thicker and not just as smooth, however I have had no problems with it at all. Considering the price difference I am happy with it and consider it great value for money.

1/ Chartreuse
    2/ 9lb
    3/ No issues.

11. Banned

It's faded a tiny bit but still happy with it
    No hassle with wind knots other than a couple in the first couple of sessions, (New braid in a nasty cross wind, I expected a lot worse)

12. Sprat

So, I put 150m of the dark green in 26lb on. First impressions were very good, casts really well, flew through the rings nicely, all good.
    Then whilst waiting for the tide to run in I gave it a tug to check the drag.
    It parted like fine cotton!
    It was particularly a sharp tug either. Not impressed.
    This was after 6hrs use on its first day of use over clean sandy ground. The lure was cast too so the break was at about 30 yards, it'd barely seen water.
    Is this a common problem with JBraid?
    Would I have grounds to complain to the eBay seller - probably not I'm guessing..

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sea Trout Staff Member

I'm still using a spool of 20lb J-Braid that's now 11 months old and has given no problems. If I get snagged it's still tough to break the line. This line has had a thrashing over the season. I've had to cut back the odd bit above the leader (same as all braids I've ever used) but it's still ok. It'll need changing soon though I guess.

14. A

I have used the 26lb JBraid and can honestly say that it was really strong, knots really well...I have suffered a massive amount of wind knots, but put that down to using lures rated less than the casting range of the rod.
    I do think that there is possibly a quality control issue here though....you say you bought your line through EBAY....where did the EBAY buyer get the stock from and is it genuine quality checked Daiwa J braid. Loads of fake power pro out there. Check out Ali Baba.com....a lot of ebay sellers go to the far east direct. EBAY is an expensive place to sell from...A non business seller gets charged around 10%, plus 2.5% for paypal...quite a big dent in the profit margin.
    The stuff I used was bought through a bonafide tackle shop in the UK that has gone through the correct distribution channels...on Ali baba right now you can buy Varivas Avani Seabass 8 strand for 2 dollars for 100 m...thats a approx £1 for a spool of braid that costs around £40 in the UK right now...my thoughts...the box of failed QC braid left by the back door finds its way on to the internet...EBAY may not have the overheads that bricks and mortar does but to the littleman paying out of his own pocket every penny counts.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Pollock

Check all your guides and line roller with q tips . Sounds like you could well have a nick somewhere that's cutting your Braid.

16. Minnow

Used 20lb green found it fantastic no problems at all

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sprat

I've done that. Nothing untoward at all.
    More trouble today.
    3 nice smaller bass all landed fine, no problem, then I hook something a bit better, it stays deep and solid then goes on it's first real run and ping the braid parts somewhere between the reel and the first eye.
    Diafrickingbolical. I can honestly say I've never had that happen before.
    I then, after the hissy fit has died down - 15 mins, start pulling off a couple of feet and giving it a sharpish tug, several times it just randomly parts...
    It can't be the eyes or the roller as the old braid I was using up until saturday was totally fine.
    I think it's dodgy.
    I couldn't break 5lb mono like that.
    I'm going to get in touch with the seller. £20 on a feed shallow lost and worst of all there's a nice Bass out there in the food chain with 9 hooks hanging off it.
    Seriously unimpressed.

18. Sandeel

1. Dark Green
    2.20lb.
    3. Love it no issues fishing over mixed ground

19. Salmon

Reports from various people seem waaaayyyy too sketchy and inconsistent for me to confidently use this stuff now, which is a shame, as it seemed to fill a much needed 'reasonably priced braid' slot well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Striper

doubt you would get a reply....................when i found that 18lb power pro broke at 8lb 4oz every time, i contacted the seller and sent links to other tests that have now been done pointing out it is common knowledge regarding the true breaking strain of that braid, i asked him why he still advertises it as 18lb breaking strain and suggested he is breaking trade description laws............

needless to say i never got a reply..

re j braid i tried it this summer and wasnt impressed..........the 18lb frayed just by looking at it, suffered wind knots from the off,and it snapped very easily when a gentle cast got a wind knot and an sg eel was lost

just a possibility, but with two of my previous shimano reels i had similar "mystery" line failures whilst pulling to check the drag ,on close inspection and after running the line on and off the roller trying to find any sharpness i discovered that occasionally i could get the braid to slip into a tiny gap at the side of the roller and it would slice through with ease...............after changing from pulling with the bale arm closed to only ever pulling with it open it never happened again. I guess you could have damaged the braid in several places if you pull to check it regularly,possibly resulting in it parting again when you tried a few feet further back?........................