Daiwa J-Braid - An Un-Scientific User Survey | Page 2 | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Daiwa J-Braid - An Un-Scientific User Survey

Discussion in 'Lines' started by {name}, May 31, 2016.

1. Sprat

Cheers Trevor,
    I'll have another look at the roller, must say checking for drag is not something I do a great deal. Its very strange that i've never had this problem with other braids and its started as soon as I've put the J Braid on?
    The braid it replaced was Fireline which although appears to be tow rope has never failed me, especially not in this manner.
    I've got some cheap Decathlon 7lb braid on a super light rod I have and I'd slice my finger off before I can break it with a tug. Yet this J Braid I can wrap it around my hand and tug it and it breaks.
    There has to be something wrong if I can break a braid without slicing my hand open?
    Got in touch with the seller and he said email Daiwa uk. Fair enough I guess? He's only flogging the stuff.
    I'll do that because something ain't right!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Guest

There is one thing that keeps cropping up , it has a large diameter for its given breaking strain . Although I don't think that most manufacturers really do state a true diameter it will have a greater influence the further you try to cast. To me thick means cheap production , perhaps also a lack of QC too .

3. Sprat

Well I've just written to Daiwa to see what they say. Something is very wrong with the braid I have. If I get time/can be arsed I'll post a clip.26lb braid should not part the way it does under any circumstances!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Guest

Dan,
    it will be interesting to see if you get a reply. The Daiwai UK HQ is in Wishaw , having spoke to them on a few occasions I cant fault the replys I have received but it changed sod all ❕❕

• Like Like x 1
  5. Minnow

1 chartreuse
    2 20lb
    3 love it I have lost two lures on snags but it has always been the leader that has snapped (nowhere near the fg knot)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Sprat

Mark it's just the same as any brand of 8 strand braid fella you get 100 replies and your going to get many different answers. I bought 3 spools of this for plugging from the 16lbs to 30 lbs and its gorgeous stuff so I have now put 300m of 40-80lbs on my cod fishing Reels so obviously I rate the stuff. I think the knot issues is because the braid is so round and so very slick so there's only 1 leader knot to use and that's a gt knot and half hitch it to death just so if it thinks of slipping those half hitches will hold it all together I use about 10 to bed the knot on to the flouro leader and its never snapped and never parted on the knot. I do believe that 8 strand will fray quicker that 4 strand stuff like power pro when used on rough ground and kelp the 4 strand is rough to touch and has much thicker strands to make the round profile and it has been documented that 8 strand is brilliant but won't take a big hit going past a rock in comparison to 4 strand stuff so it's worth remembering that if your in really rough territory use the 4 strand either power pro berkley fire line or a few of the suffix lines they are all bomb proof barring the Chinese known K off power pro which breaks at less than half the stated breaking strain. This j braid is great stuff no doubt it's almost the same dna as the daiwa tournament evo 8 strand I believe the only difference is the final coating process which gives it its super smooth feel and suppleness and also you loose more of the charteause colouring with the j braid and don't loose anything with the Evo but is this really worth 25 pounds more per 300 meter spool? Not really as you can turnip over and it's like new anyway. Take any braid whether it's 10 pound a spool or 60 pounds a spool and ask enough people and for sure your going to get many 2 star ratings and many 5 star ratings because of numerous things like broken rings (unknown to the angler) and the ground their fishing is and unfortunately even though we all can tie the best knots in the world we do in fact tie bad knots we all do it and braid even with lots of experience with it is still hard to get a 100% correctly tied knot including lots of the top bass tour Anglers on the TV they get the braid knots wrong all the time so don't pie a good braid off because we say it's terrible because 9/10 times we are at fault not the braid and j braid it good stuff just check your ceramics on your rod guides and after your sessions rinse the braid off with water and cheese k for little scuffs or knicks as this will be the cause of 30 lbs breaking strain snapping at 6lbs 100%.Give it 6 months and you will love whichever braid you choose. Hope you find a make what suites you and I hope it's hassle free.

7. Mullet (foul hooked)

Having read the reports I wonder If I made a good choice.. What really winds me up! Is line stated breaking strains.. So I have Jbraid, bought from good UK seller it states on the spool .16 PE 1.2 9kg/20lb.. In a pretty dark green.

I have been told to buy braid by diameter not BS.. But I know 8 strand is a lower diameter. So my first stupid question is. Have I got 20lb good old English breaking strain or not? I have lost one 15g Dexter already that seemed to part, but at least 20 yards from the leader knot I reckon.. A couple of you guys here have noted similar parting of the ways for no reason.. Any answer for my "What breaking strain have I got" question

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Blanker

Like most other braids it is sold as different breaking strains for the same diameter in Japan/America than Europe. Your information is from the European catalogue, here is the American information:-
    http://www.daiwaweb.com/us/contents/line/j_braid/index.html

Answers for the original question:-
    1. 0.18 and 0.22mm
    2. Chartreuse
    3. Like the 0.22mm, stood up to plenty of abuse, too many wind knots with the 0.18.

9. Blenny

Thanks guys. I've bought the 18 lb bs and I'm frightened to use it. In fairness I already has reservations as a mate, whose opinion I trust, had pointed out that he had major issues with the 18 although he felt the 20 was ok. Although the BS are similar the diameters are significantly different.
    I've been using YGK upgrade for some time now and struggle to fault it. I only bought this becasue it was comparatively inexpensive. Better the devil you know.

10. Mullet (foul hooked)

My first foray into 8 strand.. may go back to my old powerpro till I feel really confident in it.. using it on odd occasions with a wedge. At least they are not to expensive, but equally don't want my lures and braid clogging up the beach and fish/seagulls