Daiwa J Braid | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Daiwa J Braid

Discussion in 'Lines' started by {name}, May 28, 2016.

1. Banned

Well lads I said Id post a review of this braid after a few sessions. 2 of my fishing buddies also have this line close to the same length of time as me so I can give their thoughts on it.
    Myself and Pat bought the 26lb bs as thought it would be handy for the boat fishing for the big Pollock and tope later on too.

First off, its thin and smooth. It spools well onto the reel. 300yds fitted perfectly on my stella with a few turns of mono backing.
    I find that it casts well too. Lures flew out even into onshore winds.
    It knots well. I use the reverse Albright knot with no issues. The knot was neat and tight.
    I like that it came on a 300m spool.

So I'm happy with it right????
    Well.....no, not really.
    I'm having difficulty with its strength. I've lost a plug and a few jigheads in the few weeks I've had it. What's wrong with that? Well they gave far far far too easily when trying to pull from a snag. I mean way too easily.
    I've also noticed that when tightening up fluro/braid leader knots that it gives way too. Not at the knot though, a few inches above it.
    I've also noticed that it frays easily when fishing over rocks to the point now that Im checking and chopping a few metres off every so often.
    Pat has had similar problems with it too. He's also lost 2 plugs on snap offs during a cast, where the braid didn't wind knot or get caught in rings/eyes. Pats been at this game for a while now and certainly knows how to cast correctly.
    Pat has also had it out on the boat. Yesterday evening he was telling me that he lost a lot of gear through breakage, where the braid gave very easily on snags.

He's had enough of it and is going to replace it as he fears it wont handle big angry Pollock let alone tope.

I'm not too impressed with it either if I'm honest and I've always that thought of it snapping as I'm playing fish. I don't trust it in other words and am considering alternatives.

In my opinion, and indeed Pats, and based on the spools we bought, we were disappointed with it. Yes it was cheap, €26 delivered, but Im fearing cheap quality too.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Wrasse

I have similar feelings about this braid. Bought some 15lb rated in the US. Same stuff as they advertise as 26lb here.
    First off, seems thick as anything - For equivalent of PE 1.5. Next to my PE2 YGK jig man it's noticeably thicker and a much looser weave.
    Never had wind knots like I've had in this stuff, have had 3 in maybe a dozen sessions, cannot remember the last time I had a wind knot before this.
    Just seems cheaply made, light soft and airy with a loose weave. Definitely get what you pay for. For the cheap price I'd rather use upgrade than this.
    Had my doubts about it before I'd even used it but for £14 for 300m I thought I'd give it a go. Couldn't recommend it even at that discount USA price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Striper

Interesting review.

Ive used the 30lb tournament 8 for a few seasons and havent had any issues with that. Its on all my spare spools now as I use YGK WX8 on my main spools.

The Tournament 8 in 20lb though is another story, snaps like cotton!!!

Im wonering if its the sane braid just in a different colour????

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Perch

ive got the 20ib but like said it snaps qute easy
    and when tying a knot albright/uni if its not bedded down good
    it will cut thro the flouro like a cheese wire

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pollock

Ive used this stuff end of last season and a few blanks this. Held up ok for strength and havent had trouble with 'wind knots'.i landed a few ok fish on the .15 stuff(1.2pe).
    Ill be keeping a close eye on it now.
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  6. Perch

ive had no trouble with wind knots and it casts a treat
    better than me pp on another reel

• Like Like x 1
  7. Throbbing Member

Obviously it's not fit for purpose.

Braid is the biggest subject in lure fishing.

So what now Crevan??

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Banned

I don't know Nigel.
    I'm thinking Sufix 832 again like I was before I bought this.

Its just the US breaking strains that confuse me.

Apparently I should buy 6lb US to be equivalent to 20lb here.

9. Striper

YGK WX 8 from Japan Craven. Half the price that getting it from the UK

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chub

I noticed aload of of hard waxy type residue gathering on the top eye when i spooled it up. Otherwise nothing special using it apart from the price. Not as smooth as powerpro ss8 so back to that for me!

11. Striper

Thanks for that Crevan great little review. Started using J-Braid myself recently - so far so good. Will be interesting to see how it last especially in the light of your experiences.

12. Pollock

Thanks for sharing that Crevan. Trust is everything with your mainline.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

13. Banned

Surly guys the answer is in the title ....J is for jigging braid and when you are jigging you won't be fishing over barnical covered rock etc etc ???? Just my thought so don't shoot me :D

14. Banned

Good point Carl....maybe it is????

However the fishing we normally do on the boat is jigging for Pollock and cod wrasse etc.
    My mate Pat was saying that he lost tackle every time it snagged in rock or kelp. It had no strength at all when he tried to pull it out.
    He hates it now so Id imagine it will soon end up in the bin.

15. Banned

I hear what you are saying craven but proper jigging is not fishing near the bottom and snags ?? Usually off the bottom and upwards !!!! I did try the ygk jig man and had the same problems so that got bind aswell

16. Banned

NUTS :mad:

Thanks for the update Crevan
    The postman dropped off 300m of 26lb this morning, I hung back from buying some till I got some feedback and until your report it's all been good.
    Oh well I've spooled it up now so will see how it goes;)

17. Perch

how does the 26ib knot up shaun

18. Wrasse

Pretty certain the j stands for Japan.
    From the daiwa website blurb -

Pure Japanese 8 braid.
    Planned and developed in Japan
    Material made in Japan
    Coloured and woven in Japan
    Inspected and packed in Japan

I use YGK ultra 2 jigman on a couple of reels and have to say have no problem casting it, best braid I've used but a horrific price. Even direct from japan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  19. Banned

It knots really nicely
    I did my best to pull for a snap with cloth around my hands just to see if it would go above the knot.
    I couldn't break it,
    300m fills a rarium to the brim;)

20. Banned

Im pretty sure we know what "proper" jigging is Carl, we've been using the method for many years. Where we fish Carl the floor isnt always level and has a tendency to rise and fall, quite suddenly at times. There is also long kelp stalks. Both make snagging while jigging quite possible.