Daiwa J Braid | Page 2 | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Daiwa J Braid

Discussion in 'Lines' started by {name}, May 28, 2016.

1. Sea Trout Staff Member

Ah, another dodgy braid thread. I've been using J-Braid for a while now with no issues at all. The 20lb stuff on my Caldia has been on there since last year and has had a pounding. I've had to cut back the odd bit here and there when i notice some abrasion but that's the same for all braids isn't it?. Last week I got caught up with another damn pot rope and it took a hell of a lot to snap the line. This morning I had a dive bombing pollack take me into a reef, I managed to pull it out eventually but again it took a lot of pressure, the line was fine.
    To be honest when the YGK G-Soul Upgrade backlash happened last year I was a bit perplexed, again that line was faultless for me, very strong and very reliable. One minute it was the bee's knees then everyone trashed it. Both seem to be acquiring a bad name for knot strength and reliability but I'd be happy to use both.

Each to their own though but with decent knots and a bit of rinsing now and again I've had no issues.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Striper

just curious why you didnt use some backing and fill two spools ??...........150m of braid on a spool is way more than you need with some backing.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Banned

That's normally what I do but my other spools are all full and if this j braid turns out to be poop it's only one spool to empty into the bin lol

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Striper

That's a real shame, I was hoping the j braid is half decent. I got a spool of the 20lb but haven't tried it yet. Matt hooper was saying nice things about the slightly stronger stuff the other day. Maybe the different strengths perform differently? Like the tournament 8.

5. A

I like it alot, restored my faith in braid tbh...casts really well, silent through the rings..I think knots very tidily. Its early days but £18.99 for 300m for these qualities can not be ignored. I've had a few snags and pleased that the line snapped on the 15lb leader, which would suggest the mainline test is decent.

• Like Like x 3
  6. A

Also I got the 26lb and even though the diameter is thicker than I would normally use in nanofil, I am mor than happy with the casting of this line

• Like Like x 1
  7. Blanker

it looks very similar to the daiwa accudepth . for me the daiwa accudepth is the best braid i have ever used over rough ground for the cod and pollack. really nice to use (for braid) retains its form and good abrasion resistance . if the j braid is anywhere near as good it should be a great buy at that price.

8. Banned

Hi Creven, Henry's in Dublin sell 832 in European sizes. I have used it for a long time now and had no problems with it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Salmon

Thanks for this. Was wondering about it, don't think I'll bother now.

10. Sea Trout Staff Member

Mark, this is the problem I was pointing out with braid threads, if you look at the replies on this thread 7 people say it's fine and 3 people say it's not in their experience. I'm not trying to champion the stuff at all but it would be a shame to label it as terrible when in reality most people get on perfectly fine with it.

I was thinking about this yesterday, from memory, I seem to remember that the bits I had to cut back on mine were predominantly the chartreuse bits (I have the muti-coloured stuff), the chartreuse seems to wear / age differently than the other colours. What i'm left fishing with now is mainly blues, dark blues, pink and dark green and the line still looks new.

I'm just wondering if the guys (Crevan, Isidore, GaryA) who had negative experiences with it used the chartreuse colour? There may be nothing in this but that's my observation.

11. Banned

I wanted the chartreuse but they were out of stock so I've got green.
    You may have a point Martin, the colours may react differently to the braid in sunlight/salt water???
    Could we do a sticky to monitor people's experiences over the season???

• Like Like x 1
  12. Pollock Supporting Member

Crevan? Creven? Craven? (never thought of you as craven Crevan!) Time to bring back the bad spelling rating!

13. Sea Trout Staff Member

Are you feeling alright Michael?

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Pollock Supporting Member

Have you read the thread? Its only 6 letters I expect Crevan would quite like us to put them in the right order.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Perch

hi martin
    mine is green

16. Sea Trout Staff Member

Is that light or dark green Gary?

17. Banned

I think they do three colours
    Dark green
    Chartreuse
    Multicolour

18. Striper

I tnihk yuo'er rhgit Licmahe, tna'c eb taht fifuctlid.

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Pollock

Humor me and try the Berkley Black Velvet. I'd be interested to hear what you (and Pat) have to say about it. If there's a line out there suited to chasing big Pollock and Tope, as well as being versatile enough for some 'normal' plugging, this is it.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Striper

I'm using Chartreuse Martin ...

• Like Like x 1