Daiwa J Braid | Page 3 | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Daiwa J Braid

Discussion in 'Lines' started by {name}, May 28, 2016.

1. Pike

Why did you change? Just the uncertainty with breaking strain? I am looking at doing several new reels and will be trying a few different braids...Sufix 832 is one I am looking at.

I also tried Daiwa J Braid...6lb or 0.6 PE. Chartreuse, which from memory was the only one stocked here. Open up the packaging to see what looked like some fluff near the outer edge. Could have taken it back to store, however I knew whatever it was was only a few metres from the end so didn't bother. Wish I had of taken a pic. Start to spool line and within about 10 meters the 'fluff' exposed itself. It was a knot! With about a cm of tag each end! Cut it off and then spooled the reel. I have no doubt if I had of taken it back to store they would have changed it but I couldn't be bothered so yeah, my bad! Told the guy about it anyway.

First time out with it chasing perch on a very windy day...at times casting into what may have been 50 km/hr plus winds! Was alright for a while then on one cast 2 windknots. Cut off about another 10 metres! Not a very good start for the J braid! But, apart from early hiccups it does seem to cast well! Who knows, perhaps I had my spool overfilled. I definitely have a habit of doing that! I trust it enough to continue and give it another chance. But am looking at alternatives as I have several spools to do.

2. Pollock

Im using the chart also?
    Maybe certain batches gone bad?

3. Sea Trout Staff Member

There's probably nothing in it but I'd like to do a totally un-scientific thread where people answer 2 things:
    1. Colour used
    2. Good or bad (their experience of using it)

I'll even kick it off just for the fun of it. Give me a while to post it up.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Perch

dark green martin
    but understan your query
    could be a supplier
    where did creven isodore get theres from
    its up to them to post on the open forum or by p'm

• Like Like x 1
  5. Banned

Over got dark green but not wet it in the sea yet
    When I do get some use out of it I'll report back

6. Banned

I got mine from Poland through ebay

Jim I changed my mind from 832 due to the uncertainty of the breaking strain.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wrasse

Mine was from the US - Capitol Tackle in NYC.

8. Perch

mine was elsewhere so not a retailer with a dodgy batch

9. Banned

Nonsense Crevan. You just don't know how to fish . :p:p:p

I bought the 20lb and up until yesterday morning I didn't really give it any hardship, it only broke once on me out in the boat and I was impressed with it, but yesterday morning while on a rock mark I threw on a soft plastic and a cheap jig head and gave the j braid hardship. I caught it in rocks, I dragged it across rocks, I buried the jigger in kelp and it was perfect for me. I checked the last 20 meters of it this morning and although there was a tiny bit of damage on it as can be expected it seemed in tip top shape. I even got 2 bits of a broom handle wrapped it around each and pulled at the bit of damage, it did break but after a lot of tension. In my opinion top braid.

Only downside I think is that it's so thin it keeps slipping out of my finger when I'm casting.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Mackerel

hi just put some 20lb chartreuse on, bought locally, hav'nt used it yet but will find out soon, do hope its ok

11. Banned

Slipping out of your finger marc!! you must have sausage fingers :p

I gave my green .18 a good work out today
    One wind knot caused by the Muppet holding the rod :oops: but apart from that I am very happy with it.
    Time will tell.....

12. Banned

It's the tough skin on my hands from working so hard all my life :p:p:p:p

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Blanker

Hi all, I will try and keep this short.
    I'm not one to do a whole lot of posting on sites etc but I have been fishing quite a long time, since I was 4 I think. Over the years I have used all sorts of tackle for rivers, lakes, shore and boat fishing. When I first got this braid I had no problems at all!!! As the lads that I fish with know, I do go fishing quite a lot. Several times a week I'd say. Over the course of the the last 2 months I'd say I have gradually seen a decline in the strength of the Braid.
    Last night was the final straw!! While lifting a small pollock (2 or 3 lbs ish) over the side of the boat the fish gave a little wiggle. Low and behold snap!!! Marc was a witness! although Marc claims his 20 lbs is fine mine simply is not.
    So, this evening I did a little experiment. Just tied a simple granny knot and gave a slow gentle pull. Snap. I the stripped all the Braid off and preformed the same experiment again. This time the Braid did not break and I could not break it.
    So conclusion: In my opinion the Braid possible deteriates with sun light etc, as when the Braid was tested on the unused end it was perfect.
    Final result: I burned it!!
    Again this is only my experience and possibly I have just been unlucky.
    One point to note for the last couple of years I have used whiplash crystal with zero issues. Hence I have just filled the reel this evening with it
    Apologies for the long explanation.

Tight line everyone enjoy the summer.

Pat

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 3
  14. Banned

10lb Suffix 832 en route from US for me.

I'll be making a similar sacrifice to the god of fire later

15. Banned

Sufix line arrived. Have used it from the shore and boat without issue.
    Well happy with it.

Daiwa J braid has been binned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Mackerel

snapped today on a retrieve, only bloody fish as well, reloaded only to break in hand while under tension, took it off and put on sunline super pe 8, which i had bought in tramore as i had thought this might happen, not going to bin it, its going back..
    there has to be a fundamental fault with this product.
    thanks for your input
    ptr

• Like Like x 1
  17. Banned

Hopefully others will read these comments and steer clear.

Be interesting to see how you get on with the return Pete. Keep us posted

18. Mackerel

Bought some for my mate a few months ago, as it seemed like a bargain, and he is way too lame to sort out his own shizz. Spooled up the 20lb a few months ago, so far without issue . Thankfully he's not a member on here if the general vibe is anything to go by :muttley::muttley::muttley::muttley:

19. Mackerel

crevan, dont think i would have got this on the floor if i'd kept the "j" on bud

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Banned

Definitely not Pete!!

Cracking fish!