Daiwa J Braid | Page 4 | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Daiwa J Braid

Discussion in 'Lines' started by {name}, May 28, 2016.

1. Striper

My 30lb j braid has been faultless so far after a month of solid abuse. I like it but may go back to 4 strand...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Sea Trout Staff Member

My J-Braid has been faultless too after 8-9 months use. However, I too hear good old 4-strand Duel Hardcore calling me again for the meaty part of the season!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Striper

after finding a £20 amazon gift voucher ive had for years but had forgotten about and with my 500 yds of 18lb(0.13) power pro i got in 2014 coming to an end i just ordered some j braid x8 in 18lb from amazon.....300yds for £19.99 delivered..(that will do 3 spools for me) ....it cant be any worse than the 18lb power pro ive been on for 2 years.By worse i mean the pp's actual breaking strain, after doing my own tests i was shocked to find it snapped at 8lb dead weight every time.Having said that,i liked it in terms of its diameter and casting distance,very rarely did i have any knots and as long as you are aware it is only 8lb and you use it accordingly it was ok and landed quite a few fish between 7 and 9lb. So i will give this stuff a go and will add any coments on its performance to this thread either positive or negative

4. Striper

went ahead and got some last week.......18lb 0.13..............all seemed fine spooling it up, nice and thin,smooth etc and having taken my exage 4000 apart for a clean/oil/regrease as well i headed out on Saturday into what i knew was going to be a very wet one but it would at least tell me if my reel service had been worth while. Effortless long casts was a great first impression, but then on the 4th cast i hear the sound of a small knot shooting through the rings.

Wind it back in and theres a small single loop knot which as usual is easy to pull and pop it out.

This was possibly due to putting a little more on the spool than i normally would,but still several mm before the bevell on the spool........6 casts later and "crack" my ecogear shad body and savage gear jighead fly to the horizon............feck !!:evil: i dont like losing lures ...even cheap ones !..

I cut the mega knot off and continue with no further issues for an hour.

The good news is that the exage feels like new again after the home service even in the downpour :).

Now, once into the season proper i like to have my gear in the car and ready for instant action meaning i leave my rod/reel/line ready to go, so at the end of a session all i do is break the rod down to two ,take the lure off and wind the line/leader until the clip is at the top eye.......then walk back to the car and place them in the boot............which is what i did, once back at the car i put the rod in the boot but just happened to notice what looked like some tiny bits of fine seaweed on the braid in the area of the butt section ring......i went to clean it off and was shocked to find it was actually strands of the braid which were seriously frayed, on getting hold of the line each side of the affected area and pulling it snapped with ease WTF ?? couldnt believe it.........so got hold of the next bit of un affected braid and simulated a bit of movement around and through the big ring.......it frayed with ease:eek::eek:............this has never happened before with all the braides i have used and now fear that this stuff is very very fragile.

I will stick with it for a few more sessions and not carry my rod in two parts with the line running through all the rings and feel i will have to keep a very close eye on it for damage....

God help me if a fish takes this stuff over even a nice rounded smooth boulder...i fear the worst :(

heres the damage after just a little rubbing through the ring........and no, the ring isnt damaged.....

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Snapper

Trev you normally seem a most sensible chap when it comes to your purchases. So what possessed you to even risk this stuff in the first place?!

Just curious.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Pollock

Some seem to love it and some dont. Some rate it strong and some cotton weak. Strange indeed.

7. Wrasse

Thinking of chancing it. Maybe get some for my lrf outfit first and see how that goes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. A

I do the same as you Trevor, but not had any issues with line frays or snapping easily, had it for long enough and a few half decent fish to be confident with, I am using the 26lb, bought from amazon

9. Striper

Any 8 strand braid I've used around 16-20lb have all snapped like cotton... Frayed like piss and lost me lots of fish. If I want to use something thin in 12-16lb I'll go 4 strand. I'm using 29lb j braid and it's smooth and but there's no casting advantage to using 8 strand imo. It just feels smoother... Mines frayed a bit here n there but won't snap. Well not yet anyway it had a solid amount of abuse in Ireland for ten days straight over some really testing ground. I'll still cut it off its frayed though as I know what 8 strands are like...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  10. Striper

Walter, i liked how thin it is (for casting distance) and hoped that the 18lb breaking strain was going to be better than my 18lb power pro which i had tested and found it broke at just 8lb........but wasnt expecting the lack of abrasion resistance which it seems to have.....

Matt, maybe the 26lb is better but i was mostly after a thin line for max distance......

i have used sufix 832 but found it a bit thick and that it went from green to almost white after a few sessions

if i decide to ditch this stuff i will go back to rovex airstrike which is the best braid ive used to date but getting hard to find and a fair bit more expensive but this j braid was worth a punt at £19 for 3 spools........................we live and learn....constantly:)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Pollock

BS means nowt when it comes to j braid.(or any others in my book)
    I got 20 lb when it hit the shelves from the states and 10lb from poland. The same line and Both labelled the same diameter. Buying by diameter is the only way youll know how strong your braid is.BS on spools stands for bullsh!t in my book.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Perch

Got to agree with Lee. Breaking strains are a load of [email protected] IMO. I buy by PE rating where possible. I've been ising the 0.06mm j-braid on my lrf outfit for a couple of weeks now, still not made my mind up about it.

13. Striper

thats it !!!......thats the end of the "line".... (sorry)................had a spare hour this morning so went local, water clarity was border "line" (sorry again)....bur nice and calm and overcast........on with my one and only frosty........casting down breeze and down tide...fourth cast which was a pretty gentle one given the conditions and the spot i was aiming for and...."crack" and my frosty was off to the horizon, a small knot had stuck in the tip ring....:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:...........i'm really really well pissed off now..............this stuff is not fit for purpose....the worst line ive ever used by a mile.......
    just trying to think of a suitable end for it..........fire, knife, acid bath:eek::eek:......or keep it for sewing any rips in my wading jacket or chest bag cos its about as strong as cotton for sure, how anyone can use this 18lb and say its great beats me.......

ive got 3 X 100m lengths going cheap......£5 for any of you lrf or trout fishery guys

back to 4 strand next......probably airstrike.......

an experiment gone very wrong !!!....wont be doing that again in a hurry:(

14. Striper

Trev, I'll take it off your hands if you give ME a fiver!:eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. Striper

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Tarpon

This braid sounds great. Anyone recommend a good stockist ?

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Striper

yeah....feckin Arthur friggin Daley ...............

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Striper

I remain convinced that YGK WX8 is the best option

19. Perch

My mind is now made up. This stuff is so fragile its unreal. Have snapped off twice on the cast (casting under 7g), once on a snag and once on a fish in the last two sessions. I've had to remove at least 20-30m due to badly frayed sections of line. Just not good enough.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1