The Lure Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I've got some back pay coming soon,and was thinking about upgrading my FS reel (Shimano Technicum FB 4000) I know most of you rave about the Certate,
I just wondered what you thought about the Luvias (Veal's are selling for about £300),or should I wait until Certate is available in this country?
Another thought what about the Branzino ?

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I can thoroughly endorse the Branzino:wackit:,a totally stunning piece of engineering.
A spare spool would have been nice though.................

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Steve,
I would go for either certate, or the branzino over the Luvias-If you compare the prices in japan, then £300 for the Luvias isn't a very good deal. When you can get a certate (either type) for £250(ish) or a Branzino for £400(ish)

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Where does the Luvias sit in the Daiwa reel hierarchy? It'd be good to see a full breakdown of the Daiwa models, as there seems to be quite a few good reels floating around recently.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Think it's not far off the Certate but has different characteristics while sharing certain features - like the drag. Different body material means it's much lighter but more prone to probelms in saltwater should it get banged up. Luvias has a mega reputation Worldwide, as a light alternative really to the Certate. Certate is bulletproof though.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I own a Luvias 2500 and thought is a great reel I would not choose it over the 2010 Certate.

As Ben points out the Luvias reels are a lightweight alternative due to the Zaion body material and for lighter rods and/or finesse fishing they are a great alternative. However, for pure solidity, smoothness and overall performance I would take the Certate.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I have a 2004 JDM Certate 2500, faultless so far; a 2010 JDM Certate2500, little use at the moment but lighter and smoother retrieve than the old one, the drag is also excellent (proven on 3.5lb black bream) and a Branzino 3000.
The Branzino is effectively a super tuned blinged up pre 2010 Certate. Stunning reel to use. The 2010 JDM Certate is lighter and smoother than the previous version and realistically on a par with, or very close to the Branzino. The 2010 Certate open spool rotor design is very interesting but may cause problems depending on how and where you fish (wind blown sand?).
All should last for years if looked after.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of replys,I can't justify spending £400 on a reel! so the Branzino is out the equation,so is the Luvias,so looks like the Certate 3000 is favourite.
I'll have start shopping around on the internet,cheapest I've seen it so far is £271.

Thanks again,

Steve

·
Registered
239 Posts
Another vote for the Certate over the Luvias. I have a Luvias 2004 and it's great for finesse but a 3000 size reel should also double as something with some balls for more rugged fishing and a Certate would definately fit this. The Zaion construction would make me nervous fishing around rocks. It's worth adding a bit of weight for more ruggedness.

I also heard some guys had issues with the spindle bending on the Luvias. They weren't using it for it's designed purpose but something to be wary of if you're fishing PE1.5+ and pulling lures out of snags.

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
I own a Luvias 2500 and thought is a great reel I would not choose it over the 2010 Certate.

As Ben points out the Luvias reels are a lightweight alternative due to the Zaion body material and for lighter rods and/or finesse fishing they are a great alternative. However, for pure solidity, smoothness and overall performance I would take the Certate.
I can totally agree on the Certate 3000 2010 model as I own one. got mine from here: http://digitaka.com/ it also included free P&P. Customs fee was approx £50 so your total outlay would be around £300.

Regards

1 - 13 of 13 Posts