The Lure Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been looking at this rod for a while, and recently a friend imported one, and I got a chance to try it.
Fatal, So now I too am a proud owner.
Morethan is Daiwa's second range of seabass rods behind the Morethan Branzino.
It is a 9'4" two piece rod, with a slim black blank, titanium SIC through out, nice short butt. With a orange/green section common to all the demon series. In short it looks good, and at 135g it is LIGHT!!

Right enough discription, how does it handle??
From first picking it up, it feel much shorter than it is. In fact it feels like a 8' rod.
The action is very different to any rod I have come across before, basically a fast light parabolic action, which means it has a light tip, and progressively more power as it loads through the blank.
Casting the Demon Blood is odd too, banging away with loads of welly, definately get the lure out there. But ease off the power, and the lure is still getting out there?? Once you tune into the action, and the style of casting it was designed for (cheers Mr Kennard for lending me those Daiwa DVD's). Then the distance starts to really increase. I am getting about 25-30% more distance than I could with my ESGII (no slouch distance wise), but with much less effort.
Playing bass?? Well I have had half a dozen bass on the rod of about the pound and half mark, While the rod is lightweight, the power it generates isn't. I nearly picked a 1.5lb bass out of the water as I bent into a close in take on a topwater-Opps. But it is good to know there is the power there should you need it to stop/turn a good fish.

The Demon Blood won't appeal to or suit everyone, but no rod does. It isn't a rod to take skishing. But if you want a light fast rod that will feels electric with a bass on the end, it might be time to look at Daiwa.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I like the Morethans too.

Can't justify one really with the rods I'm already using but, I quite fancy sneaking one by the doormat this winter ready for next seasons Pollack, Wrasse and Bass.

Good report m8 and useful as not too many have hands on with these things.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keith,
Hands on is the real problem. I love this rod, but it is VERY different to commonly available in the UK. Anyone interested would be well served to get their hands on one before ordering.
So Keith, YGK G-Soul X8 or Morethan Si in 1PE??? Any thoughts??

Oh and given how light this rod is, imagine what the 8'-8'6" would feel like!!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Hands on is a definite problem regardless of manufacturer. Great to know that these rods are becoming more readily available too. If only I could afford a Branzino Day Breaker Custom.......

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If only Daiwa UK would get behind their Japanese products, they have access to gear that equals some of the best available. But sadly not the vision to import it.
Those dvd's have alot to answer for Mike, and I got to see DayGames3 the other day!!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Dave, thanks for the review it sounds like a lovely bit of kit, 25-30% more distance is quite a leap forward. I've got to say thanks as well for putting me onto the ESG II, only had a couple of sessions with mine so far but to say I'm chuffed to bits is an understatement, so many thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
John,
I have been nothing but impressed with my ESGII, awesome rod at a good mid price before you get to the like of Daiwa/Tenryu. Lot of rod for your money.
Alot of my marks can be very distance specific-getting past the coloured water gets you bass, so every foot can count. But I have caught alot of bass with the ESGII, and it handled everyone beautifully. Glad to hear you like your ESGII.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Day Breaker

Interesting thread - congrats Dave on doing the Branzino thing - there is no looking back now! I've found the parabolic action on my Day Breaker also took awhile to get used to - Sam Roche gave me some casting pointers - correct stance, slightly longer drop, smooth acceleration and focus on the point in the sky (45 degrees) allows exceptionally long and smooth casts. Literally a lifetime spent snap casting short fast action rods (US bass style & great for accuracy) has to be forgotten about with this rod and others like it. When I stop concentrating and drift back to my old style I notice an immediate reduction in distance - I think the 'snap' creates a wobble in the blank which reduces power transfer to the tip section. Also lures seem more prone to tumbling with the 'snap'. I had a pike session on the Shannon last week - pike love the Z-Claw - I was forcibly reminded of the misery of trying to work hard structure edges (reed & weed beds in this case) with the wrong rod (my Daybreaker). Since my US style bass rods have already been shipped to SA I had to make do with the DB. All the attributes that made the DB great for casting small lures a long way work against it in a situation requiring accuracy. As with so much in life it's horses for courses. Mike - resistance is futile, just sell a kidney or something...

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting I have found the Demon Blood responds to a cast similar to an overhead cast with a double-handed fly rod. Basically copied the casting style shown on the Daiwa DayGames DVD's.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
John,
I have been nothing but impressed with my ESGII, awesome rod at a good mid price before you get to the like of Daiwa/Tenryu. Lot of rod for your money.
Alot of my marks can be very distance specific-getting past the coloured water gets you bass, so every foot can count. But I have caught alot of bass with the ESGII, and it handled everyone beautifully. Glad to hear you like your ESGII.
As you may be aware I'm currently testing an ESGII. It is VERY good and works tremendously well HRF. Good price for a high end rod too.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
As you may be aware I'm currently testing an ESGII. It is VERY good and works tremendously well HRF. Good price for a high end rod too.
Yup, I have two of them (7.7 and 8.7 feet in the 3 to 30 grams version) and could not be more pleased.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
For next year I will be investing in the light model ESG 7'7" model,was going to get one this year but never got round to it.
They sound fantastic and everyone that has one seems to love them.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts