The Lure Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening. Reading about all the fun that Jersey lads are having fishing with light rods and small sp's, decided to get light sp rod myself. Was looking at Daiwa Lateo or Major Craft Saltic rods. Did anyone have any experience with any of them? Or maybe you could recommend any other rod in this price range (around 150Euro). Any advice would be very appreciated

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I don't have any experience of either of them but I am also looking for something similar. I had been looking at the Majorcraft Zaltz on PLAT which looks good.
Keith and some of the CI lads have been using their rods for a little while now so I am sure will pass on their thoughts on what they are using.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
well, I would love to tell you we have this nailed down but, I don't believe we have.
I'm alot closer than I was a month ago though.

When I first got a soft plastics rod nearly 12 years ago now, it was awesome but, to be fair, we knew little to F all about it.
I've caught hundreds of fish on sluggo's, curly tailed worms etc but, mostly when fish were having it.

Now of course, I have the Injection (brilliant rod btw) that is great with 5g + slug bait etc but...
go to on the drop fishing with smaller jigheads and finesse stuff and the Injection is out of its depth.

Not a reflection of the rod, more the technique. I now know why those US Bass pro's have over a dozen rods on the boats.
Matching rod, line, bait and jig weight is CRITICAL !

For the lighter stuff I'm using my Cormoran ULX but, I have realised, I need an inbetween rod, maybe 2 to really cover
the weight range, bait range and depth/current ranges we experience from 40ft of water to 18" of faster flowing stuff.

1 rod might do alot but, you'll not notice it's limitations until you play about a bit.

I would honestly suggest anyone looking for a decent SP rod to consider all the above and get a rod rated for a tight weight range
as opposed to a wide one. Wide range rods might cut it for plugging but not, imho, for soft plastics.

8lb braid, 3" slug, 8ft rod, 25ft of water and a 7g head might be perfect on one rod and on another, useless.
I can tell you, getting a rod with FEEL is vital.

Ok, to get feel you can up the jighead weight, use thinner line, etc.

That is fine but...

Most takes are on the drop IME. Not all, but most.

If the fish are intercepting falling baits, they can feel the jig weight and expel it so quick, you get little time to react.
Using soft baits and or scents helps but, ultimately, the fall rate matters. Fish can feel the weight of bait.

So you need a rod that allows contact and control on the jighead range you are most likely to use.

I'm finding 3.5 -7g the most used range. Of course, that is head weight, not overall including the plastic weight.
But, I can and do use 1g heads too. Even the ULX looses contact with a 1.5" grub on a 1g head. However, so far we are
making do but, I can assure you, a 0.5 - 4g rated rod with 4lb braid WOULD show bites the ULX cannot.

So, choose very carefully and match the gear closely. Yes, most rods will of course multitask but, you will start to
compromise take detection either side of the optimum range.

The trick for now, especially in the salt for a myriad of new, unfished for species is to determine what is needed.
I'm finding this discovery magnetic re: It's attraction to hold my interest. SP fishing is at a skill level quite a number
of notches above the chuck it and wind brigade plugger. No disrespect to that style but alot of guys would reap
a ton of confidence learning the basics of real SP fishing.

Sorry for the long post but as people want to get into this stuff it is important not to leap too fast. Do it, oh yea, do it
for sure but it's about feeling the bites. Without that feeling a huge percentage of takes will go un-noticed.

Hope this actually helps and doesn't confuse.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Sorry for the long post but as people want to get into this stuff it is important not to leap too fast. Do it, oh yea, do it
for sure but it's about feeling the bites. Without that feeling a huge percentage of takes will go un-noticed.
Absolutely 100% spot on!!!!!

Out of the two rods mentioned I would personally choose the Major Craft Saltic. The Saltic range is the predecessor to the Salthya range (I own a 9.6 feet Salthya) that offered a very good blank and components, great workmanship and incredible value for money.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keith,Vidar thank you very much for your advice.Keith, considering what you said i might get two cheaper rods,maybe something from cormoran, with "tighter" casting range and keep experimenting,thanks again for very informative post.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Good luck m8. Please let us know what happens and what you get.

I'm still researching lots of rods.

I want Injection quality just lighter but same low end power.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Choosing from range of rods with range of casting weight is ideal where the angler can dictate the casting weight range

Often conditions dicate the casting weight range of the rod.

The estuaries I fish involve changing jighead weight from 25g to 3g and other weights in between these extremes, to match the current during the course of a session. In this scenario a general workhorse rod is the optimum compromise. I dont want to carry more than 1 rod as the walks to these venues are counted in miles!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Good advice, we've done some of your Irish walks thankyou very much...

We did carry 2 rods though. Well, some of us did anyway.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I am getting the "bug" just reading this. I think I will be looking for a lighter (but not necessarily ultralight) rod for fishing SPs to arund 10g. I am on a tight budget so what do the Cormoran rods come in at? I have a little Shimano Exage 2500 reel which will be okay I think. Any other ideas on affordable options?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I am on a tight budget so what do the Cormoran rods come in at?
TR4 less than £70

Quite nice too, played with one today with a m8, SOLD !

Loads of guys starting to get into this and, with good reason.

It puts the F back into fishing.

F = 'Fun'

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
How light do you reckon the TR4 would go Keith? And how heavy even? My step-brother has ordered me to fins him some decent kit for less than £200 total, so the TR4 could be an option.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I think it's rated 4g min

3.5g head + small plastic I don't see a problem.

Lighter than that, maybe not ideal but would work of course.

remember, at those weights you are seriously into the light end of things.

8lb/10lb braid on a TR4 would be quite nice I think.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
LOVED my TR4 and I'm going to get a new one asap. aswell as the 7ft bushy **** has. But TR4 all the way.... Fell in love the second I seen that rod.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts