The Lure Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in upgrading my reel, to be honest I think it will be a Daiwa.
So anyone who has recently got a Daiwa reel, what do you think??
Bradia, Caldia,Certate,Branzino etc tec
Now you have it, what good, whats not ,hows is it holding up and do you think it was good value for money.
Thanks for any info you can pass on.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Dave I've been using a Daiwa Infinity Q 3000 Zaion for most of this season along with a Shimano Rarenium, Daiwa Caldia and Quantum Cabo 40 pts. I've found the Infinity to be excellent with no problems, it's light so balances well on light rods, is very smooth to operate and has an excelent drag (I recently landed an 8pounder with it that made several plunging runs with no problems at all). In comparison to other Daiwa models it sits below the Certate and cost about £260.
The only down side is that it doesn't come with a spare spool - I've just bought one for £60 that turned up without any drag washers in it - Daiwa then sent on the washer set but with not enough fibre washers, the balance of which are due next week.

For less money (around £100) I've also been very pleased with the Caldia X that I've got to use from the boat as it's slightly heavier construction, still made in Japan and comes with a spare spool. If I was limited to one reel for everything the Caldia would be high up the list.

Hope this helps.

·
1,866 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Love my Bradia 3000.
This was quite a jump in terms of both quality & budget for me and I'm not disappointed.
Having not owned anything else in the price range, I couldn't offer any opinions on how it compares against others, but if I had to replace it tomorrow, I'd buy another. Only had it a month or so, so will have to wait to see what it's like in terms of durability. All signs look good so far.
Not sure what you can get it for, but for less than £150, including duty & fees, I think it's excellent value.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Dave - I've been using the Branzino this year. It was a good balance for the RLSD - haven't had any problems with it at all. I picked up some advice from **** re-making sure you get everything re-alligned before putting the spool nut back on - I think he managed to destroy his. I did think of the Diawa Steez - but the exchange rate wasn't helpful - I think Ben Field was using a Steez when I fished with him a few weeks back. I was comparing the Branzino against the Stella 3000.

I was planning a trip down your way over the next few weeks so if you fancy a trip drop me a note and you can have a session with the Branzino.

Cheers Ivan

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
The 2010 Certate is in my personal opinion the best value for money high-end spinning reel available for the moment. Of course, I haven’t had it long enough to comment on its longevity but if it anything like the other like the dozen or so other Daiwa spinning reels I currently own I would be more than happy.

By the way, I like Shimano reels too, and have a great number of both baitcasting and spinning reels to compare with.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Never had a problem with any of those I've owned.

I used to only use Shimano reels when I was coarse fishing, until the past couple of years when I started using a couple of Caldia's. The TD-R was the more popular reel, but there seemed little point with that type of fishing to spend more since the Caldia's were so good. Couldn't failt them.

At the moment I use a Bradia 2500R, a Steez 2500 and 2 x Fuego-A 2000. I haven't had any of them for more than 6 months, but again, all are faultless really. For general plugging the Bradia is well beyond 'good'. I'd change the handle to a solid one if Daiwa actually had ANY(!) of the RCS parts in this country that they advertise, but the standard handle is fine. Its a damn rugged reel.

The Steez is pretty much perfection. I was worried to start with that it may be a bit fragile in the salt, but the truth is I've actually given it a couple of proper bangs and hardly looked after it, but it's as good as new and it gets used twice as any other reel I have. This reel has actually helped me catch more fish this year. When it comes to winding in slack line when feeling for bites on the drop, in the dark, the smoothness of this reel has made fishing much easier.

The Fuego's I only use for my LRF stuff (even as recently as a quick sesh this evening in a muddy estuary - just one schoolie to show). Again, super smooth, really isn't too much to say about them (ad all of these 3) because they're all so good that talking about them actually becomes more difficult.

The only negative is obviously that these are all reels from the US (although I didn't import them myself - apart from the Bradia). I am still going to run through all of the international Daiwa specs and put together a complete chart of how different models compare in each country.

Also consider the Tournament Airity in this country, Dave (http://www.daiwasports.co.uk/products/coarse/reels/625/1/tournament-airity-reels). Like most of the Daiwa reels it's not advertised as a saltwater reel here, but I'm pretty sure it's basically a Fuego-A or Luvias (only the spool materials are different between the two)(!! ;-)) depending on whether you're from the US or Japan - just with a foldable Certate style handle to suit the UK coarse market. It's Real Four as well! They sell for under £200 here and are pretty good value. If only the handle were machined! Minor gripe.

Also consider the TD-R is you like blue and don't want to pay as much. Tried and tested, one of the most popular coarse reels ever in this country. They're basically a Tierra - which as you probably know has an excellent reputation over the rest of the world as a well priced saltwater spinning reel. Daiwa UK obviously don't tell us that though!

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I think once you get to a certain level of reel, it easier picking out things you are not that keen on, rather than what they are good at. A lot of these top end reels, smoothness and good drag, line lay etc seems to come as standard.

I dont like the handle of my Certate. My Exceller had a slight problem with the bail arm roller, though I was sent the part for free and its fine now. My Caldia I cannot fault so far, though as its only a 1500 size, it is less used than my 2500, 3000 and Shimano 4000's. The Daiwas feel a bit more solid than the shimano as well, but its personal whether thats good or bad.

Ben, how about stocking some 'pimp my Daiwa' parts??

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Ben, how about stocking some 'pimp my Daiwa' parts??
I definitely will do if I can. Getting hold of them could be an issue though.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Dave, you are more than welcome to try mine for a session to see how they go. Considering my original (JDM) Certate is now 6 years old and still as good as the day I bought it, that speaks volumes for reliablility. In fact I have it on good authority that my old match reels are still going strong as somebody's plugging reels and they have caught literally tons of carp!
As for features, not much to choose between top end Daiwa and Shimano, just personal choice and how they feel.
When I used to match fish a lot something I noted early on was never take any notice of people who don't buy the kit with their own money, then ask them if they would buy the same reel (or whatever piece of kit) again.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Many thanks guys,
So many options, and so many happy Daiwa owners on this board.
Very tempted by the Bradia, Certate or a Infinity Q Zaion.
For me this will be a dedicated bass reel, so durabilty, has the edge over super high proformance. Speaks volumes that basically everyone thinks their higher standard Diawa reels are great. Must get off my arse and decide.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh and Mike,
Those ex-carp reels are so much happier chasing bass!!
Spent the evening stripping, cleaning, greasing and rebuilding them-given their age and the amount of use you put them to, inside the is hardly any sign of wear.
Pretty impressive.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Hi Dave,
I've just picked up a Daiwa Coastal 3000 from Monster Tackle and have to say its a lot of real for the money. Only been out with it for one session but first impressions are very good, line lay is excellent, casts like a dream and is just so smooth, looking forward to many more sessions with it. Funnily enough I have got it paired up with a Lucky Craft ESG II which you put me onto a couple of Months ago so I guess I should say thanks as its an extraordinary piece of kit and I'm chuffed to bits. I should be heading down to the South Coast (Weymouth) some time in August if you'd like to meet up and try them out.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I am interested in upgrading my reel, to be honest I think it will be a Daiwa.
So anyone who has recently got a Daiwa reel, what do you think??
Bradia, Caldia,Certate,Branzino etc tec
Now you have it, what good, whats not ,hows is it holding up and do you think it was good value for money.
Thanks for any info you can pass on.
I have been using the Branzino:wackit: this year that I got from **** in January and would have to say that I think its totally brilliant although very expensive.
I now have her straddled onto the RLSD and I cant imagine a better set up for UK saltwater lure fishing.
The Branzino:wackit: is simply stunning and has a brilliant clutch and virtually no backlash in the wonderful gearing.
The line lay is good but probably not as good as a top line shimano but who cares.
For me (and it is all about opinions) I totally love the bail arm on these Daiwas and in my opinion you cant get better by a long way.
I really do look after my gear and at the end of a session its a pleasure to clean down the Branzino,she feels like a solid nugget in your hand.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts