The Lure Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has experience with the new saltist spining reel in 4500 or 5000 size? I really like the idea they have minimal moving parts and "only have what you need so less to go wrong". Is this statement true?
Only asking as I have beaten down an american seller on ebay from $199 to $149 (£99) with free shipping to uk. He is now waiting for an email back from me to say yay or nay.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I read a really bad report on them somewhere - i think it may have been the Stripers Forum. That put me off, as i thought they looked pretty cool up until then.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I was looking at the saltist recently myself and thinking of picking one up when I was over in the states but like Simon I read a bunch of iffy reports about them on stripersonline and a few other sites which kinda put me off them and I ended up getting the saragosa instead.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I'm now thinking saragossa or rarenium?
They are quite different reels, the Saragosa would be more like the Saltist, a slightly heavier workhorse of a reel where as the Rarenium looks to be a much lighter and refined reel. From what I can remember my 4000 sized Saragosa weighs about 370g whereas I think the same sized Rarenium weighs about 260g, so I guess it depends what you're after really.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Just for info, a 4000 size Daiwa is a much bigger reel than a 4000 Shimano. A 4000 Daiwa is a bit on the large size for general plugging, more like a boat jigging or very heavy plugging reel. A 4000 size Shimano is roughly equivalent to a 3000 size Daiwa and better suited to 'normal' bass lure fishing.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Never seen a Saltist FS in the flesh, but would agree the 4500 is a big boy alright

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've a 4000 Rarenium, very light and refined with good line lay and I'm very pleased with it, have seen a 5000 Saragosa and it's a bit of lump in comparison but well suited to heavy duty work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts