The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying this braid for the last 6 weeks or so, both sea and freshwater, so I thought I'd share my experiences so far.

For the sea, I've been using the 30lb version. It's brilliant stuff. I loaded about 150m onto the spool, leaving a good 2mm clear of the lip. It casts a mile! It has such a smooth surface that, with a fish on, there's no roughness as the line goes through the rings. I didn't think there was any roughness with my old braid (Tuf Line XP) but, changing back, it feels really coarse now. I've not had a single wind knot, no breakages even when pulling for a break with a snagged lure, and the knots to my 30lb amnesia leader, using a small rig ring, seem to hold up well. I've done about 6 sessions with it on rocks, chesil and a surf beach, landed about 50 fish, and no issues at all and cant detect any abrasions or furring yet.

For my freshwater luring I've been using the same braid in the 20lb version. What a difference. Although it's only been used for fairly light duty (small rivers and canals for perch and pike) and in freshwater, I've had it break 4 times in 5 sessions. Once when lifting a 2-3lb jack it snapped, letting the fish swim off with my wire leader and lure (I hate it when a fish has to swim around with a lure in it until it rusts away), and twice when pulling for a break it has broken away from any knot. Yesterday I was pulling for a break and it broke where it was wrapped round my arm. I've noticed some furring, particularly where the line rests in the bail roller when casting and have had to cut off a few feet each time I've used it to remove bad parts. And this line has only seen river and canal banks, no rocks or hard surfaces, and always with a wire trace to protect the last foot or so. I really cant recommend it at all.

So now I'll be trying to find a different superbraid in 20lb that'll perform as well as the 30lb Daiwa.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Adrian, are you using the same rod for both? Have you checked the line roller and rings for damage? If might not be the braid at fault if it is happening to the 20lb but not the 30lb.
I have been using the 20lb without any problems. Still early days yet though.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I've been trying this braid for the last 6 weeks or so, both sea and freshwater, so I thought I'd share my experiences so far.

For the sea, I've been using the 30lb version. It's brilliant stuff. I loaded about 150m onto the spool, leaving a good 2mm clear of the lip. It casts a mile! It has such a smooth surface that, with a fish on, there's no roughness as the line goes through the rings. I didn't think there was any roughness with my old braid (Tuf Line XP) but, changing back, it feels really coarse now. I've not had a single wind knot, no breakages even when pulling for a break with a snagged lure, and the knots to my 30lb amnesia leader, using a small rig ring, seem to hold up well. I've done about 6 sessions with it on rocks, chesil and a surf beach, landed about 50 fish, and no issues at all and cant detect any abrasions or furring yet.

For my freshwater luring I've been using the same braid in the 20lb version. What a difference. Although it's only been used for fairly light duty (small rivers and canals for perch and pike) and in freshwater, I've had it break 4 times in 5 sessions. Once when lifting a 2-3lb jack it snapped, letting the fish swim off with my wire leader and lure (I hate it when a fish has to swim around with a lure in it until it rusts away), and twice when pulling for a break it has broken away from any knot. Yesterday I was pulling for a break and it broke where it was wrapped round my arm. I've noticed some furring, particularly where the line rests in the bail roller when casting and have had to cut off a few feet each time I've used it to remove bad parts. And this line has only seen river and canal banks, no rocks or hard surfaces, and always with a wire trace to protect the last foot or so. I really cant recommend it at all.

So now I'll be trying to find a different superbraid in 20lb that'll perform as well as the 30lb Daiwa.
For several months I have been using the YGK PE1.5 braid,I invested in it on the advice and recommendation of others that had been testing and using it for months.
I have found it to be worth every penny that it cost,its brilliant and casts like it was silk and totally NO windknots.
I was going to invest in the Daiwa but am glad that I went for the YGK,I will be investing in the PE0.8 for next year.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I was going to invest in the Daiwa but am glad that I went for the YGK,I will be investing in the PE0.8 for next year.
Its just the cost of the YGK braid that puts me off buying it. The Diawa 8 strand at around £30-35 for 300m seems relatively good value. Adrian's concerns about the 20lb line aside, does the YGK line in an equivalent breaking strain give you that much more? It would be interesting to hear from people that have used both.

Probably going over stuff that's been discussed before but what's the YGK braid like for abrasion resistance?

I've been using the Yamatoyo 4 strand braid - perhaps not as advanced as the YGK braid but it seems to have done the job for me. I need to get some more 20lb braid & am thinking whether to stick with what I know, go for the Diawa Accudepth or take the plunge & go for the pink YGK.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
YGK 8 strand for me is not very good for abrasion resistance. Thats to be expected though with the ludicrously thin diameter in PE 1.5 for example. Its a trade off. The YGK is like casting with silk, you don't hear it coming off the spool, the lure flies like its not attached to anything, it hangs like spiders web in the air, and in the water you get incredibly good contact with the lure with hardly any bowing caused by current etc.

I use mine more for cleanish ground stuff with lighter plugs and SP's. I personally wouldnt use it for HRF for the Wrasse, as you would need to good 9ft or so of leader I think, and I dont like that.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Adrian, are you using the same rod for both? Have you checked the line roller and rings for damage? If might not be the braid at fault if it is happening to the 20lb but not the 30lb.
Good point Mike, I'm pretty sure the rod (and reel) are OK but I will double check tonite. and no, i've been using different rods for the 20lb and 30lb sessions.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
YGK 8 strand for me is not very good for abrasion resistance. Thats to be expected though with the ludicrously thin diameter in PE 1.5 for example. Its a trade off. The YGK is like casting with silk, you don't hear it coming off the spool, the lure flies like its not attached to anything, it hangs like spiders web in the air, and in the water you get incredibly good contact with the lure with hardly any bowing caused by current etc.

I use mine more for cleanish ground stuff with lighter plugs and SP's. I personally wouldnt use it for HRF for the Wrasse, as you would need to good 9ft or so of leader I think, and I dont like that.
That's good to know Mark cos that's what I'm probably going to try next (for pike & perch, with a wire trace). Where's the best/cheapest place to get it from?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For several months I have been using the YGK PE1.5 braid,I invested in it on the advice and recommendation of others that had been testing and using it for months.
I have found it to be worth every penny that it cost,its brilliant and casts like it was silk and totally NO windknots.
That's confirmed then, I'll try it. It is a bit pricey though!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
That's decision made for me then. My casting, although much improved since I started lure fishing back in April or so, is sometimes a bit wayward. I sometimes end up with my braid wrapped over/around barnacle covered rocks or caught up, running through mussel shells lol! The thought of doing that with the YGK 8 strand at £50ish a pop is frightening. I'm also learning to take up any excess slack in my line as quick as possible to save my line getting wrapped around rocks etc by the waves/wind.

I think that I may try the Diawa 8 strand (Accudepth) in 30lb or 20lb even, assuming Ade gets to the bottom of his mystery with the 20lb line that he's had.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'd have to agree with Adrian

I tried out the diawa accudepth 20lb braid, very smooth and cast super distance but Ive had it break 3 or 4 times this year, twice pulling a snag and once with a fish.
I agree with what the guys are saying above about cracked rings bail arm roller as these can cause problems with fraying but I tried two different lines on two different reels using two different rods and problem still persists
I even began to doubt my knots or leaders that hadn't let me down before when using power pro.
I may try the 30lb from it's good report as I do like the line but not the breakages, I reverted back to power pro for they last while and no problems so far with a few fish landed.
T

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Mark the YGK braid is spun by the very finest Japanese spiders.:-D:-D:-D

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You were right Mike (and I'm embarrassed:oops:) the ring next to the tip ring has lost it's liner. That must be causing the problem and hence the indeterminate fraying anywhere right up close to the wire leader. Ah well, I take it all back and hopefully be able to report that the 20lb behaves as well as the 30lb in a few weeks time.

P.S. The rod is on it's way to Dorset Fishing Rods for a new ring.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Mark the YGK braid is spun by the very finest Japanese spiders.:-D:-D:-D
Unlike Mark I did use my YGK for most of the season for wrasse, with a short leader, and it was fine for me.

We are getting down to subjective differences, both braids are superb IMO.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I've used YGK almost exclusively this season for HRF.

Sure, its faded. Yes, i have had a few minor windknots (fishing weightless light soft plastics in the pitch black on very windy nights I might add) and, I've cut back my 1.2 PE twice where the leader just hadn't been long enough.
However, I fish a ton more than most and a faded line means it's being used.

I'm going to reverse what is on my spools for the winter and re-fill early next year with fresh 8 stand. YGK looks favourite.

·
Registered
380 Posts
i have been using the diawa 8 strand in 20 lb green and was so impressed with the cast i told all my mates,they all purchased the line ,how ever as time went by and diffrent locations we noticed if u got snagged,the smallest pull on the line it snapped.even tried with 10 lb leader thinking the leader would go before the braid but it went on the braid,but have landed lots of fish on it up to 9 lb and not a single snap off so not sure what to buy for next year

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I have to admit I have finally gone "PINK" too, and yeap got it from ****.
First impressions are I should have gotten it last spring, cast lovely, behaves very well on the reel and the knot strength seems great so far. I have gone for 1PE (about 15-16lb), so far so very very good.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts