The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have just sent my branzino in for servicing after being submerged for a few minutes (the reel had also taken quite a lot of salt abuse from beach wading in South Africa). The report is that the pinion gear has been corroded and thus the pinion gear and the drive gear need replacing as they come as a set. This would be covered on warranty as it is meant to be able to corrode. However, I stripped the reel down and as a result Daiwa customer service have informed me the warranty is void. This reel is my prized possession so I am willing to pay (after they get prices from Japan). However, the warranty and all other info that I received with the reel was in Japanese. So would it be possible to blag a free repair??

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Good question that has no simply answer I would think. Personally, I would try and negotiate with them and see where that takes you.

If Daiwa were totally unwilling to cover it under warranty I would contact Plat on [email protected] and ask them to obtain a price on the required spare parts. I suspect you can save a bundle by getting the parts from Japan and then assemble the reel yourselves.

Reactions: Ben Pratt

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Vidar. Some sound advice. Don't really have time to go through plat as I need the reel asap. Just have to negotiate hard come monday.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Cheers Vidar. Some sound advice. Don't really have time to go through plat as I need the reel asap. Just have to negotiate hard come monday.
If Daiwa doesn’t have the spare parts in the UK my experience is that it could actually be quicker to obtain them from Japan yourselves rather than wait for Daiwa to do it for you.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They have the parts just not the prices. Apparently this is the first branzino to be serviced in the UK.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
If they refuse to help, it might (as a last resort) be worth mentioning that you are a member of various angling forums and have been an avid supporter of Daiwa products. However, this works both ways and you may now revert to making the angling community aware of Diawa's inflexibility and willingness to hide behind red tape when it comes to after sales service. I had to resort to this dastardly tactic on two occasions in my battle against two different evil corporations, it worked once and failed miserably the second! Just an option.

Yours etc.,

Michael Moore

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
......it was looking very expensive for a moment but Daiwa are sending back my reel with a new pinion set, a CRBB bearing that I damaged (it was jammed), a full service and 24 hr delivery......all for free.

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Well top marks to Daiwa UK!

They have always been great to me over the years, even rebuilding 3 amorphous boat rods for free!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts