The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had more fish early morning on topwaters, Whats your experiences.?

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Ive had more fish early morning on topwaters, Whats your experiences.?
Same here,dosn't matter what the state of the tide is, If there is water there and it "first light" then you have a good chance of nailing something.
Dosn't matter what species your after or if its freshwater,first light is 'for me' the time I feel most confident of action.
This seems 'for me' to be like that with surface plugs(I like the tiny chugbug) they seem to always produce more action early on.
I also feel more confident at first light "up on top".

·
Registered
932 Posts
Just before first light and an hour afterwards for me. Having said that, I rarely fish at dusk!!!! But many who know more than me say bigger fish appear at night.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have never tried night lure fishing , but in my experience first light and an hour after, and an hour before dark has been my most successful time for summer surface lure fishing.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Middle of the day for me....sorry. Thats when I fish the most. I dont think it matters really, I have had some great hours spent early morning, afternoon and evening on the top water lures.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Doesn't the tide dictate what mornings or evenings you choose, or would you go out regardless of the state of the tide ?

·
6,295 Posts
Doesn't the tide dictate what mornings or evenings you choose, or would you go out regardless of the state of the tide ?
You are right Ray but sometimes you can go at the totally wrong time and be surprised. Thats fishing eh. My perfect conditions and time to be honest are an hours into the flood on a summer/autaumn evening in an overcast evening with no wind and a medium size tide with the light fading about half tide. That or a milky calm morning just after low at dawn, but being a lazy git I dont see many of those.......

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ah yes, the wind....... does anyone have any thoughts on the effect wind has on fishing ? I am coming around top the thought that too much and it wrecks it. Recently I have gone out at times when I would normally expect at least grabs and drawn a complete blank. That was when there was a fairly strong NW wind whipping the sea up to a choppy state. I tried surface poppers and all sorts of soft plastics.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I prefer the conditions **** states, A muggy cloudy but warm day with light wind has been good for me. For me when surface fishing i love a very calm sea as it just gives you more chance to spot the fish.

·
6,295 Posts
I find that strong winds can be a pain, especially when using lures that need working such as surface lures and softies. Unless you have the wind behind you it is harder to make precise movements to the lure, as so much line can be in an arc and you lose contact. Its not crutial, but I find if I am faced with cross winds I opt for diving lures that need little action on my part. Remember the lure will follow the line, so if there is a big arc then your lure cames back along the same line, you can use this as an advantage if you cast slightly up wind etc.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Here is another question,
I seem to get more takes on surface lures (on windy days) IF I cast into the wind and the lure retrieve is in the same direction as the swell/wind.
Anyone else had similar results??

Oh and flat clam, about 20 minutes after first light with clear water-personal best possible conditions.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I prefer the conditions **** states, A muggy cloudy but warm day with light wind has been good for me. For me when surface fishing i love a very calm sea as it just gives you more chance to spot the fish.
Exactly ! I love it when it's like that. if it is like that I always feel almost certain of a fish every cast........ I know, wishful thinking, but you know you have to be an optimist to be an angler !It was like that one evening about a week ago and I got a lovely 3lb Pollack.

·
6,295 Posts
Here is another question,
I seem to get more takes on surface lures (on windy days) IF I cast into the wind and the lure retrieve is in the same direction as the swell/wind.
Anyone else had similar results?.
I find it hard working a surface lure with the wind behind it Dave, but like you say it can be great, I remember a few trips with Super Spooks a few years ago when it was like that. Hard work though. I was told many years ago that propeller surface baits like the old Big Big and Big Bass by Raglot were designed for casting into the wind and when retrieving the lure hugs the contour of the waves and works at all times. I tried it with no results, but it did indeed work continuesly, although it didnt cast into the wind very well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Windier the better

Fishing in Jersey I used to look forward to a big Westerly or South Westerly blow into the intertidal reef area for the 2 hours either side of low water. I have fished in conditions where it was difficult just to stand up and the waves were knocking me over and caught plenty of good fish. They don't spook easily in rough conditions and they are often around your feet feeding hard in less than 18 inches of water. Best lures would be surface or just sub surface as there are usually stands of weed in these areas.

As for light conditions I think both early morning and dusk have the same benefit of fish being much less wary of being in shallow or clear water. For most people an after work session going into the dark is easier to pull off than an early morning where the temptation to stay for "just a few more minutes" can be hard to resist.

·
6,295 Posts
Fishing in Jersey I used to look forward to a big Westerly or South Westerly blow into the intertidal reef area for the 2 hours either side of low water. I have fished in conditions where it was difficult just to stand up and the waves were knocking me over and caught plenty of good fish.
That is fine when shore angling Chris, not fun in a boat eh. The Terrif comes to mind, I miss your supermarket sweeps of them! Hope life in Cornwall is pleasing you bud.

·
Registered
20 Posts
****, yes I was talking about shore fishing (one mile out shore fishing!) and am certainly no hero about putting to sea in a big wave. Over Force 4 it gets hard to stand up and fish properly anyway. Cornwall is suiting me fine thanks and I have taken the opportunity of doing a few different things like flyfishing for trout, plugging for pike and sight fishing for carp on the surface. Nothing spectacular to shout about but good fun, low double pike and carp and bog standard stocked trout.

Will hit the sea shortly now and no doubt send some of your expensive lures to a happy resting place as I get used to the new marks and their hazards. I haven't found any local tackle shops with your quality of stock or expertise but then again that would be a big ask.

I'm off to the Isle of Wight tomorrow so look out for the gales that normally sring up whenever I try to get out round the Needles!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gather your not into Top water lure fishing Keith. lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts