Deadly but discontinued | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Deadly but discontinued

Discussion in 'Lures' started by {name}, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Sandeel

I was going to post on the 'Must have lures ' thread but realized that most of the lures I consider to be indispensable are no longer made. I think we are well served by current models in terms of SPs and WTD top water lures but the tackle industry seems to be telling me that my favourite Poppers, Shallow divers, Flutterers and Metals are obsolete. So here goes my list of 'must haves ' that you can't have !
    Poppers : Yozuri/Duel Mag Popper 105, just a wonderful lure. The Tackle House Ripple Popper is almost as good but I believe this too, is no longer in production in the 110 mm version.
    Shallow divers: Maria Fakebait NL, my 'save the day' lure. I have tried all the usual suspects (Feed Shallow, Komomos etc.) but so far nothing catches like this fellow.
    Metals: Maria Viva Parade--actually a metal with an epoxy coating and deadly for Sea Trout as well as Bass.The American firm Hoggys have come up with a copy such was the outcry when it was taken off the market. It glories in the name 'Standard issue epoxy lure' but is only available from the US--I am waiting for a box to arrive via surface mail ! I am hoping they work as well as the original.
    Futterers : Storm Flutterstick, I only discovered this lure after it had been discontinued and set about buying any I could find. As the name suggests it futters on descent and has a wonderful lazy z action on a straight retrieve. I read somewhere that it was a copy of the Lucky Craft Wander. This latter, however, is 3 times the price and of course no longer in production either, though I am open to correction there. I could also add the Debu Nyoro to this list.
    So if anyboby knows of a secret store of the lovelies or has any suggestions as regards alternatives ,I would be very grateful.
    Richard

• Like Like x 6
  2. Striper

Lets not forget the daiwa shoreline shiner r50+ssr fg!

Crazy to discontinue that lure, but thankfully a well known seller from Japan on ebay got a special run of them made!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pike

Or the Maria Chase BW in Holo Silver

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sandeel

And the same seller is keeping me supplied with Lucky Craft Wanders, bless him !

5. Chub

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sandeel

Richard, I came across a few more of those Maria Chases in my 'can't handle west coast winds box of doom'-- , actually it's a cupboard of doom---let me know if you are interested, I will be back in Ireland in mid-March.

Sean, you are a star ! Those look so much like the real thing(even down to the very specific 18.5 gms weight) that I think they are the real thing, as in same factory ,different paint job. Have they worked for you ?

That Payo site is quite something. There are a lot of familiar faces -lures that is---some masquerading under a new name and others who have not taken on a new identity (Oneten, Sasuke, Slimcode) ! I guess I will never know how good they are until I hit that pay button. I think at those prices I might take the risk

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chub

Had fish on the copys richard well worth a punt

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pollock

PayPal are Korean copies I believe?
    Decent but Definitely not the real thing or same factory build.
    I've caught on the payo sf125 copies in the past so don't see why these wouldn't do a job.

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. Bass

I've heard it said that the new R50 SSR isn't as good as the original but I've got both and can't tell the difference. I've done well on the new Diamond Dust (white) in murky conditions and in darkness.

10. Pollock

I also, was a big fan of the Maria Metal's , caught a lot of fish on them . One of the problems I discovered was sourcing them , until Veals started stocking the lures, but sadly, now gone for good.

The ones I had left, the Epoxy coating got discoloured and ended up being a really odd rust stained opaque colour , so I carefully cut into one side of the lures with a Stanley knife and carefully peeled off the Epoxy and re coated them with Devcon ,worked just as well .

It will be interesting to hear if the “Hoggy” version is as good as the original Maria .

11. Pike

I've got a couple with the same discolouration issue. Did you take a mould to form the correct shape with the epoxy Gary?

12. Sandeel

Please tell me that those Viva Parades became discoloured after use in saltwater and not lying around in their boxes ! I know of a secret supply squirreled away somewhere in the Westport area awaiting a run of specimen Sea Trout.

13. Pollock

No , I did not bother making a mould , I just coated the lures and rotated them every now and then to get an even finish , until the Devcon set. Without having that thick original coating it really did not make much difference in the action of the lure , I still caught fish on them . I think it's more to do with the size, profile and that Holographic Flash strip .

• Like Like x 1
  14. Pollock

Yes , they got discoloured through constant use in sea water lol

• Like Like x 1
  15. Pike

Don't worry Richard. I've still got a couple that haven't had an outing and they don't show any sign of deterioration!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Pollock

While on the subject of "Deadly but discontinued" , there is one lure that comes into mind ,apart from the ones mentioned, and that is a "Daiwa TD Minnow Suspending Jerk Bait " . This is the only lure I have owned that does a full 180 degree turn, when Jerked quickly, and paused . So , what so special about that ? you may think . Ever had fish follow your lure right up to the waters edge and turn away from your lure on the last minuet on a straight retrieve ? Try this lure , give it a quick jerk and pause when you see a fish follow . The fish has a choice of either crashing into the lure or inhaling it .

• Like Like x 4
  17. Guest

Another deadly lure that Maria discontinued many years ago was "The First" 115F, I managed to source a few from Japan a couple of years ago, the 90 also worked well but the 115F with the blue back & pearl white belly was most productive for me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Sandeel

Maria lures seem to be paricularly prone to disappearing from the shelves . I understand that the Japanese domestic market drives a demand for new lures but I am open to correction there.