The Lure Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right guys your thoughts please.........

I`m about to buy myself a new toy :) :) been looking into a kayak for a while now but am also considering a rib/dinghy type vessel. The plan is to use it in both fresh and saltwater for lure fishing.(mainly freshwater or in good conditions from the shore) I have been searching around and am considering one of theese:

http://www.bicboatsdirect.co.uk/Fishing/Bic-245-Explorer-(Green/Beige)/27#allimages

trouble is i cannot decide!!!! budget wise im looking at spending upto £600 (I have seperate monies set aside for accessories!!)

so any thoughts, alternatives, positives and negatives would be appreciated. Thanks gents

Iestyn

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Christ - you'd be a brave man going in the sea with that !!! I'll keep an eye on you from the shore !!!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well it would have to be good conditions and purely inshore but would probably use it more in fresh water with the odd saltwater trip. Saying that, last year I was out on the end of the worm and 2 kayakers were out there fishing!!!! think id rather be in a small boat in good conditions than on a yak there was quite a good wave and tide running!!!

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
well it would have to be good conditions and purely inshore but would probably use it more in fresh water with the odd saltwater trip. Saying that, last year I was out on the end of the worm and 2 kayakers were out there fishing!!!! think id rather be in a small boat in good conditions than on a yak there was quite a good wave and tide running!!!

Yeh, i've seen some nutters out there too. It can be hairy just being on the end of the Worm on land, never mind being in the water !!!

Sorry . . . off-topic . . . i'lll leave now !!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Iestyn, having seen how much success the kayak boys have and how many places I saw both paddlers and anglers on kayaks around Cardigan Bay and South Pembs then I think the kayak angle is better established. Without a motor, you will find rowing that boat as opposed to paddling a kayak much harder. Sure, you will need good conditions but you will cover more ground I would have thought.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fair point Tim although an additional question i have... would be whetther my minn kota electric engine would suffice 54lb thrust 110amp lesiure battery (nice and quiet aswell for sneaking up on some shirleys!!) or i have also got a 4hp short shaft outboard (the noisy option!!) normally use 2 in freshwater one for motoring and one for stealth!!!

theres also room for 1 more on the boat!!!!! (someone to take the pics of all them bass) or i could motor to the shore to where Si is blanking and get him to photo them!!!! lol

·
Registered
326 Posts
No not mine, I think its one of the guys from Johnson Outdoors who import Ocean Kayaks into the U.K.

As for the JY, that's a good question! I was considering a motor for mine, but had not thought about needing a number...

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I'd apply for J number just to see how Fisheries deal with it! They don't own any goldfish.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Right guys your thoughts please.........

I`m about to buy myself a new toy :) :) been looking into a kayak for a while now but am also considering a rib/dinghy type vessel. The plan is to use it in both fresh and saltwater for lure fishing.(mainly freshwater or in good conditions from the shore) I have been searching around and am considering one of theese:

http://www.bicboatsdirect.co.uk/Fishing/Bic-245-Explorer-(Green/Beige)/27#allimages

trouble is i cannot decide!!!! budget wise im looking at spending upto £600 (I have seperate monies set aside for accessories!!)

so any thoughts, alternatives, positives and negatives would be appreciated. Thanks gents

Iestyn

Give Desperate Measures a call & speak to Danny http://www.desperate-measures.co.uk/ & consider this one http://www.islandersitontops.com/strike.htm you will get it for well under the RRP

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the advice and links gents. plenty of options to consider. (but which one lol!!!) still can`t decide :-(

if it was purely for the salt then it would deffo be a yak. and if it were solely for freshwater it would be the 8ft bic!!!!!

im suprised no-one has suggested one of each!!! lol. (think the mrs would chop my balls off if i went for that option!!!)
although if one was stored "elsewhere".................hmmmm

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have already decided to buy inflatable boat for my lure fishing to fish in freshwater mainly having odd trips to the south coast to fish for bass. My friends have Maxx inflatable boat with aluminium deck and it looks really well made and will accomodate 2 anglers with enough tackle for a day of luring.

The boat I am looking to purchase will have a total lenght of 3.3m and I was wondering if anyone coudl suggest size of the engine for fihing not further than a on mile from the shore?

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
My friend has a similar boat to the Bic for his freshwater piking (2 up is possible although can be precarious) - in no way or form would it be any good for the salt ... even in flat calm conditions I would have reservations - even with his 9HP on the back :/

Kayak is the way to go - just think of those muscles you will develop ... catch more fish and the lady will swoon!

·
Registered
30 Posts
My friend has a similar boat to the Bic for his freshwater piking (2 up is possible although can be precarious) - in no way or form would it be any good for the salt ... even in flat calm conditions I would have reservations - even with his 9HP on the back :/

Kayak is the way to go - just think of those muscles you will develop ... catch more fish and the lady will swoon!
Even the one having C category won't be good for waves? The one I am going to use is designed to be used on waves up to 2m, anyway out in the sea I'am getting sick like a pig so only calm sea for me. I might also consider buying a bit bigger than 3.3m
Thanks fo your views.

·
Registered
554 Posts
As it goes I have one of each!!

I have a tabur yak 2 which is an older version of the BIC boat.
I wouldn't put two people in it, not even in a stillwater, there is just not enough room for two people to be able to fish.

I use it for bassing around sussex (yes mad) and the mate i bought it off had been using it for 3 years for the same thing. he now has a different one but it's just as small. Have had it out in a fair bit of chop although it's not fun.

To be honest i'm not gonna recomemnd one for a second to someone else as TBH they aren't safe and could easily be flipped. I've been around boats since before i could walk and i use it when the sea temp is right up and there are a few of us with boats.

Without an engine they are a B*@CH to row.
A minn kota 50 would be perfect though on small stillwaters.

For a boat i would say a small RIB around 10/11ft.
My mate has one and he regularly brings another guy out with us and is very stable in comparison, if the wind picks up he is definitely the one laughing!

I also have a kayak,

Only a small (again!) perception scooter that i use for shallower marks where i need to be sneaky.
TBH i love it for the fishing you can do with it and it is a great tool but i absolutely hate it at the same time.
You will get a wet arse, your back will ache (mine does after a day on the water and i'm only 21!) and your arms will hurt like hell when plugging as you have to keep your arms up at an abnormal height when working hard plugs.

You will also join the ranks of a the kayak angler, generally hated everywhere they go, i absolutely hate kayak anglers, even when out there in my own yak!

IMHO they are the boating equivalent of a toyota prius.
(no offence to any of the kayak anglers out there!):mrgreen:

A very useful tool but i would have a go on someone elses for a long paddling session or three before taking the plunge.

Get a feel for being in a yak and pretend to reach around and get stuff, imagine where you would put your rods etc and how you would deal with landing fish etc. and almost as important where will you go to the toilet? on lovely calm hot days on the water you need a lot of fluids... :shock:

You have to think about every little thing in a yak, if it's not to hand thats the end of it, for example i once got broke at the spool as the line got wrapped and had to paddle to shore to thread the line back through the rings..

I know there are some people that love the experience but unfortunately i'm one of the guys that use it solely as an angling tool, can be great to get onto fish like a hawk but in reality an absolute bar steward to live with.

To be honest it's up to you mate but personally i would take your time in choosing and try and have a go on as many as possible before dishing out, i think there is a lot of scope for cheap small boat angling without all the hassle and expense that a "proper" boat brings.
Just don't jump in and end up living with a couple of dogs (like me!)

One last thing, if there's anyone out there that would like to swap a tshitzu and an overweight pug for a fast well conditioned 15ft open dory with good outboard please let me know!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts