The Lure Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone actually carry one of these all the time in their bag?

I have one here and I've worked out that I can get it down to about 15 feet on 12lb braid. It's just that I don't think I'll ever need to use it, even at high tide.

So, does anyone religously carry an extra deep diver like this and am I being a bit naive by not making space for it in my bag? After all, I promised my self I'd take less plugs this year...

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I carry one. Cant remember the name, i'll try and dig it out in a minute. Sometimes need it when there's a big swell, and everything else is getting popped-up.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Just been through my lures. The lure i was talking about is a Megabass Live-X Revenge in Ayu. It digs in deep, and wiggles it's arse like a belly-dancer !!

Gotta have lures like that in your box, offers something different,

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Si you are right, I carry a Live-X Revenge or two with me too on every trip. even when I used to only shore fish back in the day I would carry lures like the Rapala Tail Dancer and the Lucky Craft Staysee 90, banging these lures off structure can and has been really effective.

These two fell to Rapala Tail Dancers in April 2000

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Ok, I'll stick mine in. But if I don't catch on it I'm blaming you Mr Lewis.
Feel free !! You'll be perched on a rock infront of a lively sea one day, white-horses everywhere, and the taste of salt in your mouth, with your rod bent-over like a question-mark & your drag screaming, thinking about this thread !!!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I carry a couple of old Rapala Risto Raps, you can bounce them along the rocks on the bottom and amazingly they very rarely snag........ You need to have something that gets you down....just in case...Yep! my rucksack weighs about 90lbs with just in case gear onboard.....but I dare say I'm not the only one.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How do you work these guys?

Splash down, pause, slow-quick crank for 10 or so turns to get the desired depth, leave to float back up to the surface, pause and start again?

Crank back on a medium - semi fast retrieve all the back?

Do you bother, ahem, jerking yours?

·
Registered
519 Posts
don't try and retrieve to fast with a deep diver to get it down to depth, in fact do a nice steady retrieve, if you go to fast, you'll create turbulance in front of the lure and lose the pressure on the bib to drive it downward's because of the excessive forward momentum, thus not allowing it to get to it's maximum depth.

kev

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Si you are right, I carry a Live-X Revenge or two with me too on every trip. even when I used to only shore fish back in the day I would carry lures like the Rapala Tail Dancer and the Lucky Craft Staysee 90, banging these lures off structure can and has been really effective.
****, how deep does the LC Staysee dive? Just got one (90SP Suspending) and dont want to lose it first chuck...

I also carry X-Rap which can go down to 5ft or so, Zonks, sinkers like the Tide Minnow and sometimes the Sliver

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
****, how deep does the LC Staysee dive? Just got one (90SP Suspending) and dont want to lose it first chuck...
I would say the 90 staysee dives to about 9 or 10 feet Mark, great lure, saved the day on more than one occasion, works well worked slowly, like so many lures really.

mark, the 120/130 ? does about 10ft, but all depends on other variables, like lenght of cast, speed of retrieve, rod angle, line dia, blah, blah

kev
Really Kev? I would say it went about 10-12ft maybe more in certain situations, but you diid say "other variables".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts