·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
About time!

Have noticed the plain morethan rods around for a while actually. Only the cork handles have put me off. I haven't looked in to it properly but is that more a preference in Germany and Poland (etc.) to duplon? Are the same rods all sold with cork in Japan? I don't think they are, but if anybody has recently looked in to it?...

Like the sound of the Ryokon rods as well. Have had my eye on them for a while and although I haven't held one, I'm yet to really try a Daiwa rod that I didn't think was good. They have an ultralight rod in the range as well :wackit:

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Ben:

I've used corked Sage rods in salt for over a decade.
Not all cork is crap. I really like it.

I can't see the cork quality being bad on a branzino but...

I stand to be corrected.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nah, I'm starting to like the idea of cork on an HRF rod thb. The amount of feel you'll get can actually be very good, as you'll know. I've had my eye on something cork for the past few days!

·
Registered
402 Posts
About time!

Have noticed the plain morethan rods around for a while actually. Only the cork handles have put me off. I haven't looked in to it properly but is that more a preference in Germany and Poland (etc.) to duplon? Are the same rods all sold with cork in Japan? I don't think they are, but if anybody has recently looked in to it?...

Like the sound of the Ryokon rods as well. Have had my eye on them for a while and although I haven't held one, I'm yet to really try a Daiwa rod that I didn't think was good. They have an ultralight rod in the range as well :wackit:
Hi,

A lot of high end rods have cork grips.
Cork is lighter than Duplon en perfect saltwater resistans, at least you feel the fibrations better.

The high segment of Zenaq, UFM, Luxxe etc the all use cork.
An ofcourse all fly rods
Duplon is cheaper, thats why the use it a lot.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Ben:

I've used corked Sage rods in salt for over a decade.
Not all cork is crap. I really like it.

I can't see the cork quality being bad on a branzino but...

I stand to be corrected.
I have two Sage plugging rods and have had them for approx 8 years,they have very short cork handles and the cork is brilliant.
There is 'cork' and their is 'cork'.
You get what you pay for,as with everything.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
There is cork and there is cork ... been looking to replace the handles on my fly rods and rebuild them - even the high end rods costing £800+ use crap cork full of filler :/

Found a guy who does only the best - but expect it to cost!!!

http://www.solwaycustomcomponents.com

I like the look of the Branzino's - the French ones were impressive and these look very very nice too!

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
There is cork and there is cork ... been looking to replace the handles on my fly rods and rebuild them - even the high end rods costing £800+ use crap cork full of filler :/

Found a guy who does only the best - but expect it to cost!!!

http://www.solwaycustomcomponents.com

I like the look of the Branzino's - the French ones were impressive and these look very very nice too!
Considered 'investing' in one of the Branzinos (French) but instead stuck with another Tenryu (RLSD) to replace my RB270.
The Branzinos were for me just a bit to expensive for what they are etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts