The Lure Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

Disaster struck just before noon today when I stumbled on a cliff face and allowed my rod and reel to slip....30ft onto the rocks below. Both my Shimano Speedmaster and Technium 4000 have now passed on to fishing heaven. Both had only been bought last September so mileage was very low indeed. Almost as low as my spirits now.

Now I have to replace both and I want to ask for advice here before finding a suitable replacement.

I was very happy with the Technium so I dont think I will change that unless upgrading slightly.

Now to the rod. More importantly.

I had a 9ft Shimano Speedmaster Heavy. I liked the rod and caught numerous fish with it but it was just missing something...and was a bit much for soft plastics but I still could use it for them.

I fish mainly from rocks into rocky ground and occasionally from beaches and estuaries with top and diving lures with soft plastics thrown in too. I want to keep the rod at 8-9ft.

Budget for rod is going to be about €200-250.

Has anyone got any ideas to help cheer me up?

C

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Ooooooooh dear!! Incredibly unlucky! Gutted for you!

200-250 Euro is a funny ground. I don't know of too many rods around that price. Most seem to be £100 more or £100 less. If you're using soft baits a lot then I'd be tempted to just go for one of the 8' Grauvell Teklon Spin at about £125. Its a lot of rod for the money and I don't think you'll find much better with similar specs until you get up to the Tenryu's. It'd be a totally different rod to your Shimano but makes a very nice allrounder. I reckon there will be other siilar rods popping up in the next few months, but I don't think you culd fail to be impressed by the Grauvell - even with it being less than you're willing to pay.

·
Banned
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

It is proper pain being felt!!

Is the Teklon classed as "an all rounder"? to use sp and hard lures? I would tend to use hard lures slightly more often than soft ones but do use them often nonetheless.

Would the 4000 Technium suit it? Or should I start looking for reels too?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Yep, Technium would be ideal on it.

The Teklon has a pretty soft tip which you'll notice will be quite different to the Shimano, but enough power still to cast hard baits properly (probably up to about 30g?). It really is an allrounder. I have a couple of Sakura Shukans and when I had a go with the Teklon the tip softness was quite different.

·
Banned
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed Chris.

One of those dreaded slow motion ones...

Its sad when a grown man wants to cry looking down upon the rocks at some broken pieces of metal!!!

·
Banned
792 Posts
for that price, have a look into the sell used parts section of the board. Arent there some red alrounders offered here?
Or stay with the shimano and try to get one as spare for the lost one.
Cheers and happily enough you did not follow your tackle...
TOm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts