The Lure Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
after fishing for about 4 hours with not a touch i decided to sit relax and have a cofee Started to fish again with far less enthusiasm when all of a sudden a viscous take I shouted to my better half who looked up to see my rod bent over double Line screamed from the spool I know a decent fish when i hook 1 but this was seriously testing my tackle An 11ft Daiwa Whisker has got a bit of backbone but i think this fish had other ideas The drag was set the rod took the strain Unfortunately the lure clip didnt After retrieving the slack line i discovered that the clip had been completely straightened Gutted or what Not sure whether i am mad at losing a Feed Shallow or madder at losing the fish AH well guess i am not the only one!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Sucks Marq,
HATE loosing fish, hate leaving lures in them even more.
But on the up side, you were in the right place, using the right lure. Bodes well for the rest of the season.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Bad luck Marq , what clip were you using ? had a similar thing happen to me two seasons back !! but worse for me i saw the bass a monster 15lb easy **** has a stuffed one in the shop and it was bigger than that one, lost the feed shallow but the fish cut the line ......

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
will put a photo up of offending clip Yes its time to up the ante And yes i hate to leave a fish with a lure in its mouth Luckily this does not happen to often In all fairness i have used these clips for years and they have never let me down before

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Nathan The spot i was at today was East of where i met you The gulley i got hit at is very consistent Often throws up big fish even in the summer It looks stunning at the moment A lot of sand has shifted up the beach More rocks have been exposed giving the fish more cover On a small swell the wave pushes up the gulley and rushes back out along a ridge of rock The fish just seem to wait there expecting to be fed by the current If you fancy it shout Happy fishing

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Marq, so sorry to hear about losing a good one especially at a tough time of year. But, you were in the right place at the right time, so take heart. Show us a photo when you catch up with the fish next time! Similar thing happened to my lad George last year - hooked a screamer but couldn't stop it. Everyone needs a "one that got away" story...

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
I am gutted for you bud, not that it really matters but do you remember the make of the clip? Like you say though you have been using them for years without any probs. What a shame, but encouraging eh.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Gutted Marq! Don't think I've had any quite like that yet, but hopefully one day! Must have been a crazy feeling just hooking it even! Will have to get up that way real soon I reckon.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Marq - gutted for you. I was out for a few hours on Saturday, see here

http://www.henry-gilbey.com/blog/there_were_bass_around.html

Seems there a few fish moving around.

Was on a certain beach yesterday taking my dog for a good long walk, found one of the most awesome looking bass marks I have come across for a while - had a good look around, in my head it would work on bait, plastics and hard lures depending on conditions. A good dog walk turned out rather interesting.......

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi **** not sure of the make of the clip I bought 4 packs of these cos you dont see them in shops around here that often Sorry i cant remember but they all get put into a 35mm film canister

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Henry The area in which you walked is very good in the right conditions The problem i have is choosing exactly which gulley to fish The whole area fishes 2 hours either side of low water As you have discovered the area is big There are 3 consistent gullies and scores more besides An hour either side of high water is easy as the fish move down the coast and sit around a large rock You do however need to know the path down Will show you

1 - 16 of 16 Posts