The Lure Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else speak to any divers reference their local spots, sometimes the local divers can be extremely helpful and others not. But generally they are good sources of info regarding local fish movement on certain marks.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Spoken to a few spearfishermen, that I have bumped into whilest out and about. Normally a few polite words will normally see them telling you if they have seen any bass/fish and roughly where.
Aways worth a couple of minutes, One diver filed me in on the bottom structure at a mark I used to fish often, what he told me changed how I fished that mark.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Yeh, i've spoken to Spearfishermen & got good info. I am also a qualified Diver myself, and have some decent knowledge of marks from when i used to Dive them a couple of years back.

I must get back out diving at some stage. Prob need to get my kit servcied first though now.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
A barman at our local goes out snorkling quite a bit and has given me the odd bit of good info about roughly where fish are hanging out. Coarse, it can and does change totally between the flat calm days that he's out and the rough/choppy ones when I'm there. It is interesting to hear about though. 'm going to start getting in the water and having a proper look myself from now on. Just need to sort myself a VS or a Zeebaas first! :)

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Many of my A:1 marks have been dived to gain insight and knowledge otherwise impossible to gain.

I would miss the dive / fish link now that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I was fishing last week when a speargunner turned up. We had a good chat and he gave me some usable information.

Snorkelling the marks yourself is a much better way of gaining knowledge though. On one mark I've l explored I can visualise the area as I fish it - didn't stop me losing a plug there a few days ago though!

Another mark I visit regularly is very popular so I can combine knowledge gathering with a bit of tackle collecting.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I love snorkelling the areas I fish. Its almost always Wrasse I see, some big girls as well. If at all possible, I'd recommend it to anyone that can swim.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Used to do a fair bit of snorkelling when we took the kids to Ireland on holiday. Snorkelling the marks before fishing them certainly helps when you are always fishing new marks...

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I'm good freinds with several local spear fishermen and we share a lot of knowledge. However, good marks for spearing are not always good for angling and vice versa. most spear hunting here is done in thick weed cover or deeper offshore races onto sandbanks well outside of casting range.

I haven't been in the water for ages (on purpose that is). I must but every time it's nice enough I am drawn to the rods.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts