Diy Assist Hooks | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Diy Assist Hooks

Discussion in 'DIY & Home Made Lures' started by {name}, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Chub

Items Required
    • Super Glue
    • Hair Dryer
    • Lighter
    • Heat Shrink (in various sizes)
    • Hooks (Decoy)
    • Rig Rings (Drennan)
    • Split rings (Flashmer)
    • Dyneema Cord

Cost per completed assist hook - £1.03

1st take your Dyneema cord,lure and hook and measure how much cord you will require (dont cut it too short!)

[​IMG]

2nd Remove the core from the Dyneema cord (makes it thinner and easyer to work with).Melt the ends with a lighter to prevent fraying.

[​IMG]

3rd Thread on your Rig ring.

[​IMG]

4th Thread on your hook.

[​IMG]

5th Tie a overhand knot onto the hook shaft but dont over tighten because it needs to be slack so you can adjust length of assist.

[​IMG]

6th Adjust length,tighten knot and apply superglue to knot for added strength.Trim the ends of the cord and tidy with lighter.

[​IMG]

7th Cut heatshrink to desired length.

[​IMG]

8th If using thin shanked hooks you may find the heatshrink doesnt shrink around the hook snug because the knot is relatively larger in diameter so you can heatshrink the hook shank with a smaller piece of heatshrink to reduce the gap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9th Position and heatshrink the knot and the job is complete.

[​IMG]

Fitted to lure.

[​IMG]

This is only my second attempt at this so im sure after a few goes it will look abit neater.

*******UPDATE********

If you find your heatshrink doesnt quiet fit over the knot then you can stretch it using pin nose pliers or tweezers (dont over do it and risk splitting the heatshrink).

[​IMG]

- Stretched vs Unstretched.

[​IMG]

- Stretched over knot.

[​IMG]

- Heat applied for finish.

[​IMG]

(3.2mm heatshrink stretched over roughly the same size knot)

Alternative Materials -

- Kevlar/ Dacron cord
    - Kite String
    - Leadcore
    - Catfish Pro Catlink
    - Riverge Rig Rings
    - Korda Wide Gape X hooks

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
    • Like Like x 27
  2. Wrasse

Brilliantly simple Rob, that's the clever part, and Assist hooks to suit any of your metals. Thankyou.
    ps. When you take the core out of the dyneema, i assume there must be some loss of strength, so what size (lb's) of dyneema would you recommend starting with, in your example.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chub

Thanks Robert. You don't have to remove the core its just easyer to thread through the hook eye. But tho you lose strength the dyneema I bought was 1.5mm thick and rated at 125kg breaking strain so i assume its still pretty strong. If I buy dyneema again ill be buying 1 mm in thickness so i can use smaller eyed hooks. The only downside is the thinner you go the more expensive dyneema becomes.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Salmon

Thanks for that Rob. I actually posted a thread a while back asking about doing your own assists. I wanted small assists for metals from 7g metals upwards. I've bought a fair few different types, but so many are too big. I'd be looking for lighter Kevlar/Dacron. Where did you source yours? Also which solid rings did you use, the ones I ordered seem too weak

• Like Like x 1
  5. Striper

I am also in the process of making some after seeing a similar guide on another UK fishing website.

I went for kite string which seems good and strong and available from the auction place in various diameters.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Chub

Hi Mark

It was your thread that give me the idea for looking into diy assists ;)

I sourced everything from eBay,the rings I'm using are made by Drennan,size medium (4.9mm),they distort to oval at 16lb and break at 40lb apparently.

I did read that Kevlar can be effected by the sun (deterioration after long periods of exposure) but by how much in the way we would use it is unknown.

Hope that helps

7. Striper

I know nothing about assist hooks so I'm going to ask a really daft question............why can't you simply tie on the assist hook with a short length of mono or flouro or even braid?

8. Chub

Hi Toby

I'm no expert in this department but from what I gather is mono/fluro is too stiff and would be very difficult to work with.
    Braid I think would be too thin and you run the risk of the fish will make light work of cutting through it.

Which is why Kevlar or Dyneema is preferred choice due to its anti-abrasive property's .

Hopefully someone in the know can confirm this.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Chub

Nice clear instructions Rob, thanks

I found another source of fine diameter Kevlar/Dyneema cord is Catfish hook link

http://www.catfish-pro.co.uk/documents/Catfishprobrochurejuly06_000.pdf

Also worth looking at the Carp fishing hooks for short shank, wide gape, strong hooks with quite fine wire gauges AND extremely sharp.

And you can get different colours of heatshrink Red, yellow, green etc, if black is not your first choice for lures

While you are tying up your assist hooks you can easily add another attractor and dress the hooks:

http://www.kilwell.co.nz/Images/SCHKDFA8-10_zoom.jpg

Loads of scope to tinker away through the long winter nights.....

• Like Like x 2
  10. Salmon

Exactly. I have a load of metals waiting to be changed over, so this winter will be spent making my own assists. I may even attempt dressing a couple of hooks as well :shock:

---------- Post added at 12:12 ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 ----------

Hi again Rob

What diameter shrink tube proved the most practical for use?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chub

Mark that's a tricky one because it depends on a few factors like :
    - hook eye size
    - hook shank size
    - cord thickness
    - cord with or without core
    - knot size
    So the best solution is to buy a kit with varying sizes and find the sizes you'll use most .

Or get your dyneema cord first,double a piece over and tie a knot,measure the width of knot and order your heatshrink to fit.

I'm currently using 4.8mm which is slightly too big and 3.2mm is too tight to get over the knot. So for 1.5mm dyneema id say around the 4mm or slightly under would be about right .

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chub

Thanks for the link Nick and ideas

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wrasse

I use leadcore for carp fishing which is readily available from most tackle shops and easily spliced if you only want to use a single strand for lighter use. Usually comes in around 45lb breaking strain so easily strong enough. Also have a look at carp hooks. Hooks such as the Korda wide gape X seem to be ideal.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wrasse

Rob, I saw a guy in the USA making his own Assists, and, using small, round circlip pliers, actually stretching his fine shrink-tube, so it fitted over the eye and knot, then heating it and it still shrunk back to smaller than its original size, so that's a trick (tip) you can use, if you have those round smooth pronged pliers. Robert.

PS.I bought a pair of these pliers, from my local model making shop, 4" long, approx £3.50. Very handy when you need 'em, about twice a year! Each round prong of the pliers is about 1mm, tapering back to about 2.5mm, but you only need to stretch the shrinktube enough to make it slip over the knot/eye.

15. Salmon

That big?? The biggest I've seen on the carp websites has been about 1.7mm so far!

Ah yes, I've found some more stuff now.

16. Chub

Excellent tip Robert,ive updated the original post to include this information .

• Like Like x 1
  17. Salmon

I've just spent the afternoon shopping for the bits that I need for this. If you look on ebay, in the sailing section, then the rope bit, they do lots of dyneema cord. I have bought 20m of 1mm with a breaking strain of about 70kg (more than enough!), for a very reasonable price indeed. Added some Riverge rig rings, which come highly recommended as being strong and reliable (and not sharp), a selection of shrink tube from the electrician bit on ebay, from 1mm up to 10mm in different colours for about £3, and finally some wide gape, short shank strong carp hooks, in sizes 2 and 4.

Just need to steal Sarahs hairdryer now.

18. Chub

Nice one mark, 20 meters! .....you could make an assist for everyone on tlf :p

• Like Like x 1
  19. Chub

• Like Like x 3
  20. Chub

Went out today for a afternoon session to test my diy assist hooks and they work very well. All the fish I had were on the Pboy and out of the 32 landed approximately 85-90% were taken on the assist.

• Like Like x 3