Diy Assist Hooks | Page 5 | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Diy Assist Hooks

Discussion in 'DIY & Home Made Lures' started by {name}, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Pike

You are going through the eye of the hook the wrong way Mick, if you come through the otherside you will increase the turning motion of the hook providing better hookups. Look up the knotless knot used for forming hair rigs in carp fishing, the knot is handy as well as the important info on the line exit. A simple test of this will show you what works better. Drag a hook tied bothways across the back of your palm and see which one wants to turn over and dig the point into your hand. Youll find the one with the line coming through the eye towards the gape will turnover every time. A small bend in the shrink tube at the eye also adds to the turning effect/motion of the assist.

Best, Marty

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chub

Mick. I notice that you have the shrink fit continuous from hook shank to rig-ring which I suppose makes the whole thing rigid, or at least, semi-rigid with the only hinge point at the split ring. Do you think this is an advantage or would there be any benefit in having the shrink fit in two sections; one over the hook eye and knot and the other at the rig-ring end with a flexible section of exposed braid/ cord or whatever in the middle? I've made some of each using fly line core and can't decide which would work best

3. Salmon

I've left a section of exposed braid on my ones to allow more flexibility in finding a hook hold. In fact it's getting more and more like my carp days.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wrasse

Just one more q. in this fantastic thread gents, some people feel happier with a spot of 'super glue' on their knots, or, as in my case when finishing a loop using hollow braided leadcore line (and a splicing needle).
    What brand/ type of super glue do you recommend using?, as i am lead to believe that some types of 'super glues' do not work very well when used in a wet environment, or are not recommended for use where water is involved......i'm sure you know what i am trying to say. Thanks, bear with me please, steep learning curve, Robert.

5. Chub

Loctite manufacture a water resistant super glue , have a look in Tescos .

6. Wrasse

Thanks Rob, my favorite store.....!!!...........and local up here too!!
    Finally, are the 'branded' fishing glues are a variation of this type of glue?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  7. CoFounder & Retired Admin VIP Partner

Well I was messing around with leaving some of the braid exposed or having the braid completely covered. I have opted for the completely covered ones on the lures I have made assists for, mainly because I want the hook to be against the side of the lure when retrieving, and I am worried the assist might tangle in the cast or on the drop. I need to play with them on the water and see if they do tangle, and what length of bare braid can we get away with without tangling.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Chub

Good points Mick. I was just trying to work out which would be best in terms of hook-up efficiency, particularly OTD. Guess there's only one way to find out - better get out there

9. Salmon

Mick, when I've been using ready made assists on peeboys, naburas and the tsunami thing, I've not been tangling. The ready made assists are pretty supple dyneema, with only shrink tube on the shank and at the top. I experimented with only singles on the bottom of the metals before using assists, and found the tangling horrendous when using a fairly vigorous sink and draw retrieve.

10. CoFounder & Retired Admin VIP Partner

I reckon there is definitely different hook set-ups for different reasons/situations. Like you say Rob OTD fishing I would imagine the hook needs to be attached to the bottom of the lure, then the hook will be midships on the lure as it drops. I rigged an assist on a P Boy (picture on this thread a few pages back) but I have decided not to use an assist on the P Boy, as I catch just as many fish on the drop as I do on the retrieve, and of course an assist on the front hook will be away from the lure as the lure drops, which is no good at all. So for the P Boy I am sticking with a single on the back end (and maybe a short assist on the front but I dont think it needs it).

Earlier on in this thread I rigged a Nebura Deka, this is actually designed as a vertical lure and a lot of people use them for casting too. This lure (I find) gets hit mainly on the retrieve, so is perfect for assists. So this is where I am at, and until I can get out and try some different patterns and set ups on different styles of lures, I'm really not sure which lures need complete tubed assists and what ones need floppy assists. I have googled the question but dont seem to be able to find anything that makes sense to the question. Does anyone know the answer?

---------- Post added at 14:22 ---------- Previous post was at 14:21 ----------

Just seen your post Mark, so are you saying a single on the back of some lures makes it tangle with the line? Is this more on the lures that flutter and maybe spin on the drop?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chub

Now I'm thinking.......what about an assymetrical-double-assist: 1 short/ 1 long, attached at the front?

[who'd have thought we could have a 9 page thread about a hook on a string?!]

12. Salmon

Mick, Quite possibly. It's been with more bladed type metals than the more compact cylinderical ones that I've suffered with tangles using the single at the bottom, and I think the bladed are probably a lot more 'confused' on the drop than a p-boy for example.

Rob, I have the megabass fluttabait which comes with double assists, one short and one long, and have seen others come with them as well. I'm sticking with one personally as one of the big perks with an assist as opposed to a treble or even a single at the back is the snagless qualities.

13. Chub

Bugger! Thought I had the idea that would make my fortune.................damn those peskey Megabass inventors

14. Banned

Yes I agree Mark ....... I find a short single one best for casting jigs, but I do tend to have two on my vertical jigs used from the boat. Some are equal length, others are not.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wrasse

Sorry to harp on about this point, but , for those techno-minded, is the CyanoAcrylate type of super glue the one to use to 'dab your knots? Thanks, Robert.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Snapper

Can this thread be made a sticky please?

17. Striper

Fantastic thread. Been thinking about messing about with assist hooks on some of my ultra light metals and some of the info on here is great. :)

18. Chub

Forgot about this thread. Here's one with an assist from flyline core
    003 (1024x768) (640x480).jpg

19. TLF Admin Staff Member

Done... :p

• Like Like x 1
  20. Snapper

Ok, so with much swearing and temper tantrums I have tied my first assists. They are not on par with others.

[​IMG]

I couldn't get the dacron through the size 6 hooks and used some 30lb braid for most. I also used three half hitches for the hooks and mostly larks food for the split rings, on two however I used a full blood knot for split ring attachment. I am a tad concerned the braid will cut on the rings, but I shall report back on how I did.

• Like Like x 1