The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do. Not just after fishing, standing up for long periods of time does it. Sometimes my lower back feels like if goes into some kind of spasm/'locks up' (painful) for a few seconds. I 'stretch' it out a bit & it goes away. My back is stiff for 2-3 days after fishing. After this no further problems.

Does anyone wear one of those 'lumbar' supports. I looked at the ones that Simms do. Here's one

http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/backmagic_wading_belt.html#

They also do a cheaper one. I seem to recall that I saw Nathan was wearing the Simms belt above on the Cornish bumble. There's also loads of other back support belts that you can get. Just wondered what experience people had of them?

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Its not just me then! Apart from the hours lurefishing this summer, I still spend many a day fly fishing and it can be a killer on the back at times. I tend to slouch over when fishing which must contribute to the problem. I noticed at the recent Cornwall bumble Jon Bunyard had a back support but he had only recently got it so it was too early ot judge its effectiveness, hopefully he may comment on his experience to date.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mmm...I probably will go & get my back checked out just to make sure that it's not anything serious but just wanted to know if these back support aids were worth the money. They could be my first port of call before taking it further. There's loads out there & would want advice from somewhere re which one was best for me. The alternatives or additional things that may help, I'm guessing, are physio/exercises.....

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yeh, i get a sore back, but i just man-up & take it !!!

Harden-up men !!!!
You're obviously not a 'modern man' Si:-D Quite happy to 'take it' as you say but would rather find out what is causing the 'pain' (check that its nowt serious/going to made worse over the years by fishing) &/or wear something that stops it happening. Means I can go out fishing for longer then:wink:

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
i used to get problems with fly fishing and used a wading belt, i know of one person that used a weight lifting type belt due to existing problem. When my back used to hurt i would stand up straight and push my shoulders back and slightly strain the spine seems to ease it and loosen up and continue fishing. Though aways worth getting it checked mate just in case.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Well, where do I begin. The back support I used in Cornwall was another Simms one, but a little less stiff than the one in the link. It solved any twinges I used to get from my back but the downside is any serious rock climbing becomes more difficult because you lose a degree of flexibility.

Everyone I speak to about these supports swear by them. The other use they have is that they can help seal the top of your waders so that if you do fall in, it limits / slows down the ingress of water into your waders. I suppose the downside to this is your waders become like a big baloon and you could end up floating feet first.

Personally I think the belts are great and I wouldnt fish for more than a couple of hours without one.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm sure a back support will help, but its not going to get to the cause.
I'd been having some problems with my back, went to the docs and got checked out. All ok and she gave me some basic back exercises to do 2-3 times a day. Its really simple. If I do the exercises, back feels good, if I stop, it gives me grief.
I've been trying to improve fitness lately anyway & have lost around 2 stone. Unsurprisingly this has made a huge difference and I'm sure it will make long days fishing next season a lot more enjoyable.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Guys,
Can't say about lure fishing, but from a flyfishing background, a few small changes in technique will 90% stop the back ache. I fish for hours and hours at a time-no back ache. Rather than masking the problem, I would have look at how you cast-I bet it would help, with fly casting generally it is using too much power in the cast and not enough timing. Honest not having a pop-But it has helped ALOT of flyfishers.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers Dave but I experience the same sort of issues when I have not been anywhere near a fishing rod, hence me thinking that its not anything to do specifically with fishing. For me it's the standing up for long periods of time that seems to be the (indirect) cause of the problem

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I need to invest in one of those Simms back things.
I have suffered for years,,,,,,,,,Its mainly when standing on un-even surfaces (rock hopping) that it happens.
Once it developed into sciatica (brings tears to the eyes)..................

·
Registered
263 Posts
Toby,
I'm no doctor but have had back issues in the past when standing. I get a bit of back ache when fishing for a good few hours, but in my case easily fixed.
Be sure you are keeping equal weight on both feet as otherwise it can create an unnatural bend in the spine. I find myself standing awkwardly on rocky marks, so have to watch this myself.

To fix, my wife taught me a basic yoga style back stretching exercise of bending backwards for a few seconds with arms right above head, then right forwards with relaxed arms, shoulders and neck, rinse and repeat a few times - works wonders. There are others, but this one pretty much fixes things there and then and can be done anywhere. Probably worth taking a look at some proper yoga descriptions of the exercise rather than taking my insufficient description though ;)

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Hi Toby.
I suffer from a bad back and visit the chropractor twice a year. He suggested that i use some kind of back support while fishing, so i got a Snowbee back support and it has served me very well. I now dont get any problems with my back even after 2/3 days of fishing most weeks. hope this helps.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Backs are fickle things, I used to suffer a fair bit when lurefishing long sessions or for days on end with a big rod - not casting, but actually working the lure.
Working a large surface lure at range, or even hours of WTD would mean I could feel the pain start to build up in my lower back, even switching to a minnow to vary the load on my back wouldnt get rid of the dull ache, basically once it started, then it was there to stay until I stopped fishing for a couple of days. I always found a few stretching excercises would help a little, but wouldnt stop it.
What I have found that since switching from my 10' Bug Special to a shorter lighter rod, fishing pains have all but disappeared; I think the reason being that quite literally I dont have to put my back into working the lure any more.
I am surprised Dr.Spence hasn't chipped in on this yet..???

·
Registered
769 Posts
Hi all

Sorry not to chip in on this sooner but busy healing the sick :wink:

I am not prepared to comment here on individual cases regarding lumbar pain as there is are many different causes - the vast majority are not due to a sinister pathology, but without a full assessment to rule out these causes at an individual level would be unprofessional (and potentially negligent... even if the advice is offered free etc).

If you get pain numbness and or weakness radiating in to both legs, loss of feeling around your backside/genitalia, loss of bladder function it’s vital you get seen as soon as possible in A & E. If you have high level of pain and /or constant pain and or numbness/ weakness in one leg then see your GP. For intermittent problems that fall outside the above (and if you have no past history of cancer) it’s up to you whether you feel you need to see a GP / musceloskeletal physio etc. Though if it’s long standing and never been examined before I would say get it checked out.

Right caveats done with! If the problem is one only brought on when lure fishing and eases with rest/ stretching its probable it’s a mechanical issue to do with your muscles in your lower back and how they support you. Back supports do help some, but as Jeremy wisely pointed out they do not solve the underlying problem. Far better (after getting the back cleared by a professional) that you build up your own internal support though strengthening your core muscles and back extensors. Pilates (initially taught to you by a suitably qualified practitioner) is the best way I know to do this but yoga and specific home exercises also work pretty well. Just using a gym ball for a seat at your PC is often a great help with switching on and strengthening your core etc.

Posture whilst lure fishing is the key to this. Try not to get over focussed on the fishing and stand in sustained forward flexed postures. Also don’t fish with your backpack on if you can! And if stretching out helps take quick breaks to extend your back between casts, or try sitting down to fish for a while and slow it down (it might even catch you some more fish!)
BTW, I know all this is easy to advice difficult to do when your 100% focused on nothing but fishing! Weight loss invariably helps chronic back pain.

Although getting a problem checked out is wise remember back pain is very common and only extremely rarely a sign of something more sinister. If it’s been checked out, and your back just aches now and then when fishing (and does not tick the red flag warnings above), then I am with Mr Lewis: just man up and don’t get too focused on the problem. I too have had degenerative lumbar and neck disc problems for years and its best to be sensible, do all you can to improave the problem (eg exercises), but not let it control your actions!

Matt

P.S. Despite what Ian states, I am not a Dr but a muskeloskeletal physiotherapist

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I just can't resist this one.................sorry

No Lumbar Supports......
No Physio/Chiropractor......
No Exercises........
No Change of Stance........
No "Man Up and Take it"

Nurofen.........works for me......every time.....whenever the need arises.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Toby, I think we all get a stiff/sore lower back to some extent after a long session lure fishing. I find regular stretching to release any tension (strangely neck & shoulders get tight too) during the session helps. It rarely lasts beyond the evening and after proper lubrication (of the alcoholic type!) I am ready to go again the next day. Strangely I rarely get the same issues when pike fishing - this may be due to less scrambling over rocks though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts