The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes thats doDgy !!.......before any of you reprobates miss read it lol. After seeing lots of photos of people standing in pretty scary looking spots whist plugging, i was wondering whether many of you will climb up onto an elevated position because its the only place to stand to get at a really fishy looking spot, or maybe theres some pretty big waves crashing in ,and wether you will sometimes decide once in position not to cast if it is quite apparent that if you get lucky and connect with a lunker theres no way of landing it safely ,that is safe for you and the fish.Or does the excitement of finding a great spot mean you just cant resist having a cast and then worry about getting it in if you do strike gold?

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I've certainly had a cast from spots where i have had no idea how i would land a decent fish. Very irresponsible really i guess. Sometimes though, it's just too tempting to drop a lure into a seething cauldron !!

Most hilarious dodgy position i've ever seen anglers get into, were the Frenchmen below whilst on my hols last year just outside St Malo . . . .

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
After bad experiences in the past, losing double figure Barbel from bridges and stupid things like that, the one thing I do is picture exactly how I would land a fish before I start fishing. I have a route planned out, or mark one nice flat rock as a landing point before casting. I am happy to fish higher up, if I had means to get to the water of required. Its often easiest sliding down on your arse as long as you have a decent landing area.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Trevor,
You're right of course, not only landing the fish safely but surviving the landing yourself especially in heavy seas. If I'm rock fishing I always try to make sure there are 2 of us and that I carry an extending landing net one of the light fibre glass ones. I don't bother if it's too rough. 2 lads were washed away up at Balcary a number of years ago while we were up there, not fishing on that particular day I might add as it was too dangerous, you don't forget things like that quickly. Unfortunately over the last 3 months 3 others have been lost in Northumberland washed in off the rocks. So personal safety is also paramount.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Tactics for elevated positions

As mentioned personal safety is number one on the agenda, but also remember to use deeper diving lures than you would normally in order to compensate for the angle of your line due to you being elevated.
I have fished fairly shallow rough ground marks using deep divers in order to be able to fish just under the surface due to being elevated with success.
If I were to fish shallow divers in an elevated position they would come straight out the water and not work.
Soft plastics or spoons are another easy way to overcome the problems of fishing mentioned above.
I hope this helps a newby if reading this section. To some of you I hope this isn't stating the obvious.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Good thread - I personally in the past have fished some pretty dangerous ledges to the point of looking back at where I used to fish when I was younger and thinking what the hell was I doing???

With the new vests becoming popular I am going to invest in a fishing PFD with pockets, not take any risks and play it safe ... maybe I am just getting old! (Had an incident with a big fish on a kayak without a PFD on in Sey last June that made me think long and hard ...).Dave Irving has a natty little inflatable waist belt I know he uses on the rocky marks which is another way to go, along with the slimline boat inflatable life jackets ...

It simply isn't worth the risk ...

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Good thread - I personally in the past have fished some pretty dangerous ledges to the point of looking back at where I used to fish when I was younger and thinking what the hell was I doing???

With the new vests becoming popular I am going to invest in a fishing PFD with pockets, not take any risks and play it safe ... maybe I am just getting old! (Had an incident with a big fish on a kayak without a PFD on in Sey last June that made me think long and hard ...).Dave Irving has a natty little inflatable waist belt I know he uses on the rocky marks which is another way to go, along with the slimline boat inflatable life jackets ...

It simply isn't worth the risk ...
Exactly. Got my Mazume but also a slimmer Mustad one as well now Alex for when I'm not carrying lure boxes. Lifejacket type things may not be popular yet, but they will/should be.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Ive got to be sure Iam 100% safe before I go any where. OK some times I may louse out on the odd fish but don't see the point in risking my life and possibly that of others that may have to come and rescue me!

·
Registered
540 Posts
I`ll admit to have been totally blind-sighted and with no compromise to my own safety in the past!!! Its not an option theese days though as Im not only responsible for myself but also customers I guide. Even on occasions where i would deem safe I always ask the question to them if they are happy and feel safe to follow me, if not its not risked. You should go with the guides in Russia!! If you have`nt got a pair of brown pants by the end of the day then you must have stayed in the lodge!!!! lol.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Brilliant read this thread guys and nice to see nobody advocating taking risks just to catch a fish, I fish with my Son in tow, as do others I fish with so their safety is paramount on all the marks we fish, nothing beats fishing marks you know, being aware of the conditions around you, loads of info available on the net and from locals if you are in an area you have never fished before. Fish safe today and you can Fish again tomorrow !

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Can strongly recommend these for anybody who wants a bit of extra safety and storage. Mine was about £80? I think. being Mustad, you probably just have to ask fo them in your local shop - hardly an exclusive manufacturer.

http://www.mustad.no/catalog/emea/product.php?id=2613

Reactions: Rob F

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
went for a drive around this afternoon looking at low water marks ,took this photo an hour ago a very nice looking spot but think i will give it a miss at the moment,.......................broken toe nail you see !!! isnt it .....

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Obviously really happy with my Mazume for plugging, but I got one of these for my LRF stuff when I don't need so much storage. Have filled the pockets with little boxes and packets of nice stuff. Should be perfect! Plus a potential life saver. I'll bring it with me at the weekend.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can strongly recommend these for anybody who wants a bit of extra safety and storage. Mine was about £80? I think. being Mustad, you probably just have to ask fo them in your local shop - hardly an exclusive manufacturer.

http://www.mustad.no/catalog/emea/product.php?id=2613
also like the look of that,at 50 N rating would have been ideal when i was a whippersnapper but probably not enough boeyancy for a ...............emmmmmm middle aged profile should we say....especially for any kind of longer duration in the drink.......but something like that is a million times better than nowt at all

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
also like the look of that,at 50 N rating would have been ideal when i was a whippersnapper but probably not enough boeyancy for a ...............emmmmmm middle aged profile should we say....especially for any kind of longer duration in the drink.......but something like that is a million times better than nowt at all
Sometimes I'm really glad to be skinny as a rake. :p

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sometimes I'm really glad to be skinny as a rake. :p
oh yeah................but did you know that you will get hypothermia long before i do..............thats the only reason i work so hard to keep my current profile ,theres alot involved you know........burgers,sausages..........more burgers oh and more sausages lol

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sobering moment

Just to add a personal experience to the thread which might serve to help anyone.

Went to a remote rocky coast on my own last year, calm sunny dry day, really looking forward to it.

Stood on top of a large rock in my usual trainers, made my first cast and then don`t really remember much else until regaining conciousness face down in the water gasping for breath.

Totally shocked and bewildered managed to scramble ashore. No one else around, no mobile phone signal. Somehow managed to get myself up the cliff and back to the car.

Bottom line - lost camera, lost glasses, broken rod tip, broken wrist and concussion. Somehow managed to drive to the hospital with one arm! Shouldn`t have even driven but didn`t think straight at the time.

Morale of this story- never underestimate your vulnerability out there on your own.

Now I always wear studded wading boots and an automatic life jacket- don`t care if people think it`s over the top, might not get a second chance again.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Lucky Dave, just goes to show accidents can happen when you least expect them to !

·
Registered
687 Posts
i fish by myself most of the time,into darkness either on rocks o`r wading out.it does cross your mind "what if".having read other horror stories i think i`ll be investing in a vest :shock:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts