The Lure Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not so much a catch report but rather a tale of woe. I took a couple of rods down to a rocky mark last week. I wanted to try out fishing a delta eel behind a float and after a few casts decided (stupidly) to let it drift about whilst I tried out my brand new IMA Sasuke lure on the other rod. I think you can see what's coming here!

I was into my third retrieve of the new lure when I saw the float go under. I quickly put down the rod leaving the lure to float about whilst I retrieved the small pollack that had taken the delta.

As I was unhooking the pollack I heard my other rod lunge across the ledge. I quickly grabbed the rod and my braid instantly parted just above the reel.

I had my back to the sea at this point and have absolutely no idea what had happened. The only two feasible occurances are: a. A good size bass took the lure whilst it was floating in the water or b. One of the several hungry looking seagulls in the area took off with it! Either way the barnacle topped ledge did for my braid in a split second and I'll never know what was on the other end. My money is on a seagull. I'd hate to think there is a big bass out there with a £20 lure in its gob.

Lesson learnt.

Phil (1 rod from now on) Vivian

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Lesson learned eh Phil and nearly a very expensive lesson.....:oops::oops:

I regularly go out beach fishing (bait) with a mate who is also keen on plugging for Bass and we try to plug while our beach casters are sat in the tripods. It just doesn't work though, you can't concentrate on two things at the same time. We have vowed just to take the plugging gear or beach gear in future one or the other not both.........

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Mate of mine new to carp fishing didnt set the bait runner. He then got a good run quickly followed by the rod last seen heading into the lake. Such expensive lessons let alone the worry about fish welfare!!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I too used to use 2 rods all the time, and sometimes 3. I now realise, you can only fish one rod at a time properly. I missed way more bites trying to be clever than I ever would have one at a time.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
A very expensive lesson learned "Phil one rod" :-D

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Hate to say it Phil but it was probably a fish. I have seen two snapped off lures taken by bass as they bobbed about helplessly on the surface. I have had a couple of similar near two rod disasters too. The most bizarre is this one.
Years ago whilst fishing in my little dinghy, we were drifting along a few 100 yards offshore, me & a mate, I had two rods over, he had one, we were fishing with baited feathers after a few codling. The rod that I wasn't holding did a back flip as quick as that out of the boat, with my brand new Abu 8000C on it. Shock then instant realisation that I had a bite on my other rod as did my mate. We both started reeling in & we both had two good sized codling on, as my set of three feathers came up through the water I could see my lost rod coming back up. The handle of the Abu 8000C reel was balanced on the bend of the middle feather hook. My mate grabbed that rod as it came to the surface & that had two codling on as well. All rods are fastened it holders these days on the boat & kayak if not being held.
The second, I was fishing a bait rod in a tripod & fishing with a lure about 50 yards away when I heard the tripod crash down & the bait rod was getting dragged seawards. I caught the rod just as it was getting pulled across the beach into the sea & eventually reeled in a nice bass of around 5lb.
The moral, third time I might not be so lucky. Fish one rod at a time. The only exception I make is if I'm bait fishing then I might have two rods in a tripod.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts