The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(but you can stop now if you don’t want to read a massively long post)

Well, my plugging life is in it’s infancy but this weekend has been the best ever!!

I went down to a local beach on Saturday afternoon with my wife & kids. Couldn’t spend long as we had friends around for the evening & going with the family (wife, 3 ½ year old + 6mth old) I really was not expecting to get much fishing done:cry:. When we got to the beach I did kind of feel guilty that my priority was getting a plug out instead of doing the Dad thing but then again thought that I was still being quite a good family man by not wandering off miles on the rocks & staying in close proximity to my sprogs:???:.

Anyway, surveying the scene in front of me. I was not feeling that hopeful. Quite a calm day, the sun was dropping but still quite bright, 18” swell but no real water movement anywhere. The tide had just turned & being quite shallow I did have a thought of the odd bass cruising around in between the rocks & large boulders in front of me. I really was not expecting anything but thought that I would just end up enjoying what was a beautiful afternoon

Being relatively calm I though that the Z Claw deserved an outing & a bit of practice on WTD. First cast flew out in a nice arc, 20 yards beyond where the waves were breaking. Not having done much WTD I was a bit unhappy about being right down at water level & not being able to see hw I was moving the plug. I heard off someone in Weymouth that moving it in a slinky S shaped zig zag, rather than an abrupt, sharp zig zag, was a bit of a killer.

Anyway my plug was just on the crest of one of the small waves coming in with the sun shining through the back of the wave. I saw a dark shape silhouetted in the face of the wave. “Was that a …..” FISH ON!!:-o. There was literally nano seconds between seeing the shape, thinking was that a fish & my rod tip arc-ing over.

Shouts went back to my wife, who at the time seemed distinctly unimpressed (I was well annoyed with her:evil:. However I was ‘told’ later that at the time she was actually moving our little girl, who was in her baby seat, out of the way of the advancing tide. I then forgave her for not bounding over towards me to see me bring the fish in in a truly heroic fashion). Give my little boy credit, who came over asking “What are you doing Daddy, have you got a fishy?”. “Yes” I replied. Then came that classic question “Why?”. He’ll learn sometime:-D.

I brought in a bass, estimated 2lbs. in weight. Result! :jump:2 firsts - first time that I’d seen a bass before catching it & my first ever on my Z Claw.

A serious fishing session then followed early Sunday morning. Caught the 5.45am Torpoint ferry & headed across to what is fast becoming my favourite place to fish where I met Marq. With the northerly wind it was the first time I’d actually been cold whilst out plugging. Marq didn’t help here a****g around tying his clip on in the semi darkness. At least he was honest though blaming his inability to tie his clip on his advancing years & deteriorating eye sight:-D.

Getting down to our fist mark we both put on Z Claws. The sea generally was calm but amazingly 2 to 3’ swell was coming out of no where from 20 to 30 yards out. Powerful too, a ground swell rather than wind generated.

3 to 4 casts in Marq shouted “FISH ON!”:grin:. Get on I thought & as I was only about 15 yards out I started to reel in to go over & see what his fish was like. I did not get very far. Something to do with a big splash right in between the rocks about 10 yards in front of me…..we both had fish on at the same time:shock:. It did not take long to bring mine in with it being so close.

My bass measured 49cm so around 3lb in weight (3lb 1oz actually). The sad thing was though she’d taken the plug so far down her throat, almost impossible to take out humanely, & she was also bleeding quite heavily so I made the decision to dispatch her. It did put a downer on catching the fish but I was consoled by the fact that weight it was made it an ideal eating size & it would just fit in my oven. The other bonus was that my fish was bigger than Marq’s, much bigger in fact. Score on the doors, Toby 1 – Marq 1:laserswords:

Moving around within 150 yards of where we made our first catches, not a lot seemed to be happening. The sun had risen by this point & I thought that our day was up, catching wise. However I did catch another fish, probably just under a pound, on a Saltiga Minnow. On the retrieve I thought the fish was a lot bigger than it actually turned out. However this was because it had foul hooked itself on the gill plate. Score on the doors, Toby 2 – Marq 1:laserswords:

The sun continued to rise & get brighter . “Can you catch bass in light this bright?” I asked myself but my pass out lasted until midday. The sky may have been bright blue but I was not going anywhere.

We tried a number of spots. Marq had lots of follows from gar & a couple of bass. Now apart from the day before I’d never had a follow. However when I saw what I thought was a grey fish like shape very close to my plug did my heart start beating fast or what? I did not see it long enough to properly see. Still not sure if it was a bass or even a fish, or was I just dreaming:-???

The sea generally was calm but big ground swell still somehow coming out of no where. We both put on OSP Bent Minnows as where we were was up above the water, giving us a chance to see how what were new lures for us were working. Marq had a BM 106 (10g) , I had the BM 86 (6g).

With nothing happening I asked Marq, the man with the years of local experience, if we could get onto a set of rocks to our left. It just looked really fishy, water breaking over some low lying rocks, backwash & a decent amount of whitewater abounding. We could…….

Walking onto these rocks Marq said that he reckoned that there were fish around here. I replied that I was really excited about being on these particular rocks. I could feel it in my bones…….

Casting out about 20 yards into a gully & really trying hard to work it like I’d seen in a You Tube vid that Ben posted recently. It looks like a little bait fish darting about sub surface. You stop retrieving & it floats on the surface. That was what I ended up doing with it anyway. I was a bit concerned that my little TM would get swamped in the white water that was in front of me but what followed was the most amazing 20mins fishing of my life. Did my little plug fail. Did it ****.

What can been no more than 8 casts, 3 fish:jump::clap::wackit2::horsesword::horsesword::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::horsesword::horsesword:. The biggest was 49cm so around the 3lb mark. We didn’t measure the others but I reckoned that they were around the 1 ½ lb mark. Marq was getting an absolute trouncing, the score on the door kept on rolling around & around, 3-1, 4-1, 5-1:badlol::badlol::badlol:………….me fist pumping, congratulating myself every time I saw the fish flick their tails after being released to swim off & fight another day. All of the fish took the lure within 10-15 yards of where I was stood.

Every time I went to release my fish Marq would try & muscle in & stand on my little golden patch of rock to try & catch, without luck:bangin:. I was totally immersed in what I was doing, I’d never experienced this sort of thing before.
I was paticularly chuffed with catching these fish, not just because I got them in such a short space of time but becuase I'd picked the mark out as somewhere that looked very fishy, I'd targeted it.

I totally lost track of time before realising that I had 45 mines before I was due home so my wife could go out shopping. The only issue here is that it takes me about an hour + quarter to get home:oops::eek:. No worries, modern technology & all that, a quick, very excited call home (she was actually very pleased for me) & everything was sorted.

That brought the end to a magical morning’s fishing. Saying goodbye to Marq I think that I floated back up the cliff to my car. Still could not believe what happened. Sticking on a CD that my wife had snuck into the car, that track by Queen, ‘Don’t Stop me Now’ came on. Well that was it, up went the volume, down went the windows & there was me jigging around like a loon in me car all the way to Torpoint & the ferry……

’Don’t stop me now, I’m having a great time, I’m having a ball’ I think are some of the lyrics. I thought that words like these quite aptly summed up me morning. Marq also said to me a couple of months ago, before I’d caught any bass on a plug that once I started catching I would not stop. He’s not wrong. Both of these things lead me to give the thread the title that I have. The last few weeks I’ve not done badly at all. Marq’s given me a lot of help (cheers mate) & after my day out with Ben F & the weekend in Weymouth I’m now got a lot more confidence in what I’m doing.

Long may this continue. Thanks very much Marq for your company today.

Is anyone or thing going to stop me doing this? What do you reckon ??

Cheers

Toby

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Brilliant mate! One of the best reports we've had, and the fish couldn't be more deserved. Great to see the Bent Minnow getting a workout as well. I'll be taking one down to the estuary this week for sure. Well done!!!!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brilliant mate! One of the best reports we've had, and the fish couldn't be more deserved. Great to see the Bent Minnow getting a workout as well. I'll be taking one down to the estuary this week for sure. Well done!!!!
Cheers Ben. Somehow I've got to get some sleep tonight. Still on a high:shock::-D

·
Registered
260 Posts
Great report :clap: It's a wonderful feeling when everything you are doing comes together at the same time. Hopefully it will happen to me sometime soon :-D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Surely the most smileys and emoticons used in a report EVER!! haha each one perfectly place though...crackin report Toby!! Love those days when it clicks!! Well done!

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Great report Toby ... nice one! Looking forward to trying the bent minnow myself!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Fantastic report. That's a problem with some of the lures with three trebles or even two.

It's coming to the time of year when time of day is not so important or rather light or dark. Some of my best fishing is in October, flat calm on one of those still overcast days. A good swell with no wind. Perfect.
Nick

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Great session and great report, Toby. Pleaseed to hear it's coming together for you. Keep it going!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Spot on report there Toby!! I've hardly been out for the last couple weeks, starting to go stir-crazy!! Got a few days off next week, so gona have to hit it hard! Starting to forget what a fish feels like. Keep up the good work :)

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
What a great report Toby! I can feel your enthusiasm in every line I read. Excellent fishing - well done!!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Nice one Toby,
The Bent Minnow in both sizes has been a bit of a sleeper lure this year. I have a feeling that we are going to see ALOT more catch reports featuring this lure in the next months/years.
Well done on a cracking session.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
well done AGAIN toby , you better show me adrian and nige how its done at the cornish bumble lol

·
Registered
741 Posts
Really enjoyed reading that report, well done Toby! .. Bent Minnow eh? looks like my wallet is about to receive another hammering!

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Feeling totally out fished and out manouvered Well done Toby fantastic morning great company and some lovely fish you had Keep it up mate

1 - 20 of 27 Posts