The Lure Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out at LW today to try to find some sandy patches and bump a shiny SP or diving plug along the bottom, in the hope of catching something different.

I ended up at a spot where I have seen and caught lots of different species in the past, and second cast I had a strong take at full range on the Injection.

After a quick headshake the fight became quite dogged, with the fish taking line off the drag but no runs to speak of. I thought I had got lucky and a couple of tourists walking the beach stopped to watch me playing the fish. I admit I was being very gentle just in case it wasn't a bass - it didn't feel like one.

After a minute or two however, in came a bass of around 2lb+ neatly hooked with the tail treble under it's bottom jaw and and the front treble just ahead of it's pectoral. Coming in sideways. [email protected]!

My audience were quite excited but looked a little puzzled when I slipped it back into the surf. After that I stuck with SPs but didn't have another take. Maybe it was due to a lot of cold fresh water coming down the beach?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I hate foul hooking Bass, but had some of my best scraps from fish hooked outside the mouth etc. They don't half go sometimes.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Paul,
Still a fish mate, Always funny how the bass show up the moment you aren't looking for them. But when you want them - they disappear!

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Over in Ireland this year, I arse-hooked a big Mackerel when i was out on the boat with Pat. It went like stink, and had me thinking 'Big Bass' there for a minute ;).

·
Registered
229 Posts
That's exactly the reason I love the SP's, just one hook.

But I don't need to tell you that mate!

The second fish I had on my beloved red rod was a 7lb+ mullet hooked in the tail!

Thank God I got it in or I'd have beaten myself up about what the F it was for weeks!

·
Registered
129 Posts
That fish was interested in your lure, and you enticed him to have a closer look, well done, I would have been happy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts