The Lure Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bass are at their biggest, the mackerel and scad are at their most numerous and the wrasse and pollack are still around. AND we still get glorious weekends too!

My weekend started on Thursday. The Mrs had arranged to stay with our daughter in Plymouth for the weekend, leaving me at home with nothing to do :wink:. So Thursday evening found me at a little mark that often has all the usual predatory species except wrasse. I arrived and started about an hour before dusk but no bites until it was really dark, when the scad came on. I had a few until the top of the tide when the bass and pollack started. I had 4 bass and about the same pollack (no monsters, about 1-1/2lb each but all good sport on my ultralite gear) before the tide turned. Then the mackerel turned on. It was virtually a fish a cast for the next hour or so til it was time to call it a night.

The next nite, Friday, was a near repeat of Thursday but fewer fish overall but more and bigger bass. 6 this time, best about 3-1/2lb. Final score for Friday (I kept count) was 9 mackerel, 8 scad (including one that must have been over 2lb, it was huge!), 6 bass and 5 pollack.

This is the biggest bass

I thought I'd have an easy day on Saturday and have a day on the river. Not a good decision. The bright sunshine (not usually a problem on it's own) coupled with low and slow water levels, lots of weed and gin clear waters didn't help. One 6-7lb pike took at the rod tip but disconnected itself after a few seconds, and another completely missed take by a small jack was the disappointing result and after a couple of hours I called it a day. Early nite, ready for Sunday.

Sunday. Alarm set for 5, left the house at 5.30 and arrived near Portland Bill at 6.30. Started fishing just as it got light.

The pollack were really on, had 14 over the next 2 hours on spoons, sub-surface and surface plugs. Good size for Portland too, many were in the 2-3lb range. When the sun got up higher, the action went quiet so I moved further on up the island to see if I could find some bass.

Although I lived on Portland for over 20 years, I decided to fish a mark I've never fished before. Got there around 10am to a stiffish breeze but lovely warm sunshine requiring me to strip down to my waist to fish. Wasn't too hopeful but flicked my lure in between some rocks only about 20ft to my left and this lovely 3lb9oz wrasse really hit it hard.

Another 30 minutes without a take and I was just about to move on but i thought I'd have another flick in the same area and wham! another wrasse, this time 1oz bigger at 3lb10oz. Clearly a different fish, with that lovely marbled effect. I wonder if they were mates, male and female?

I moved along the coast a bit but without any more takes and so packed up and walked back to the car at about midday. No bass today, but I'm not complaining. What a beautiful weekend.

The Mrs has just got home. I wonder, if I make her a cup of tea, will she let me go fishing tonite? :-D

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
What a great weekend! Excellent report Adrian.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You had a great weekend Adrian. I've had a few good catches myself around Portland. There's stacks of pollock at the moment not so much bass.

·
Registered
246 Posts
A great weekend indeed. Good to see such variety.I agree that this is the best time of year for the lure angler.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The Mrs has just got home. I wonder, if I make her a cup of tea, will she let me go fishing tonite?

Love it...

And another great report too.

Nick.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Adrian, pleased to see the fishing is being kind to you - great report. Wish I could say the same....

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
well done adrian i feel a hook up needed before cornish bumble ???

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I dont see why not, got anywhere and when in mind?

I was out again last nite at the same mark as last thursday and friday nights. had 11 pollack (all quite small though), 6 bass to 2-1/2lbish, and a couple of scad. All on the ultralite gear. Got a bit wet and windy towards the end though.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
If you do go out chaps as a dress rehearsal of who's going to staying with kev on the bumble weekend can I come too, please, pretty please :))

1 - 14 of 14 Posts