The Lure Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mrs W had arranged a church ladies social evening at chez Walmsley last night. Faced with a house full of Women, many of whom could have been the real Doris , I chose to escape for a couple of hours tranquility.

It was a bit of damp night ( p1ssing down really) but it was what I needed after a few heavy days at work and with the prospect of 2 weeks travel coming up from next Monday.

I can't say there was a great deal of action. A few small calig, poor cod and a couple of rock gobies at least avoided the blank. Good old isome and Berkeley gulp came to the rescue again.

Fishing aside, it was an interesting evening out. All our petrol comes to the island by sea , and the dreaded tanker unload was underway last night which prevent me accessing some of the better parts of the harbour.

I also watched an unusual vessel docking. According to marine tracker , she is recorded as a trawler, but appears to have had a refit and looked more like some sort of research ship.

The building below overlooks the harbour. It is now an office , but has an interesting history, being the former residence of Sir William Hillary.

He was the founder of the RNLI , and was instrumental in building one of the Isle of Mans iconic landmarks, the Tower of Refuge in Douglas Bay, in 1832. He was driven to do this by the frequent loss of life when sailers were stranded and unable to be rescued on the small reef outside the harbour entrance.

Today, our lifeboat station still stands proud and remains very active and I know many of us on here are huge supporters of all the RNLI do.

His grave is literally just outside my office window, and I thought it was quite appropriate to walk past today whilst Doris was raging and be thankful for all he did and all the many other sacrifices made by brave RNLI crews around our coasts. He was personally very active in a number of rescues, and in similar conditions nearly 200 years ago, who knows what may have been happening . The wind was certainly strong enough to have blown over the flagpole which stands within the memorial plot.

Stay safe chaps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
858 Posts
Well done for getting out and catching a few.

Did wonder what that little detached property was when we passed it on the CAT last year.

Not much of a garden for a house that size.

Did the old Doris cause much damage

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How big is that castle type thing? The photo somehow makes it look really small, like a model...
It is hard to find a picture to give it some perspective Mark. It is a decent structure though and has stood the conditions in the bay remarkably well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well done for getting out and catching a few.

Did wonder what that little detached property was when we passed it on the CAT last year.

Not much of a garden for a house that size.

Did the old Doris cause much damage
Quite a few trees down across the Island Steve. Flights and sailings were cancelled, but thankfully I haven't heard of anything too major.

Sounds like we have another blast due tomorrow though !

·
Registered
858 Posts
Much the same round here but there are not many sailings out of Hertfordshire, train's were chaos though.

Hope it's not too blowey tomorrow as I am planning a bit on the fresh

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Agree with Shaun, an educational & top notch report, thanks Kevin.

Like Mark says, the Tower of Refuge does look kinda like a model.

I've just looked on the IoM webcam to get an idea of size, this gives an idea of scale but I think this report has blown your mark :eek:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Agree with Shaun, an educational & top notch report, thanks Kevin.

Like Mark says, the Tower of Refuge does look kinda like a model.

I've just looked on the IoM webcam to get an idea of size, this gives an idea of scale but I think this report has blown your mark :eek:

I have never actually tried fishing from the rock Bill and not sure i have ever seen anyone trying. Maybe i will give a go one day.

Your picture is of the annual tower pilgramige. For some reason most of the population seem unable to read a tide table and only choose to venture out to the rock on the one "official" ' date each year. It is accessible on most decent sets of tides - but the local coastguard likes to make it sound a bit more complicated.

I guess it is them and the lifeboat who invariably have to effect the rescues though so maybe understandable.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That looks like the fishing comps I used to enter as a kid around the North East! They always used to say Geordie anglers like to fish in groups!
I know one or two who go our there for crabs Paul. Maybe they are on a hunt for that north East angling delicacy - crab cart.

Far better ways to catch crabs in Douglas in my view .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts