The Lure Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me any hints or tips regarding perfecting the Double Haul??

I'm struggling as I am a self taught caster & I have only single hauled for the last twenty five years. Having fished small reservoirs & small rivers, I have never needed this technique, but now I do.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I knew that was coming. Thanks Iestyn but I don't know of anyone on the Isle of Man that does them.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
casting lesssons are the best by far though if having issues with it lessen the first back haul and keep a tight line between your wand and the first stripped ring.
Then haul as you accelerate through the forwards cast, also with the hauling hand always keep it the same distance aprt from the rd when loading it before hauling.
Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Posted the other day about my recent casting lessons - will get some more over the winter as i want nice sharp back loops!

Did go and do 40 mins practice last night and happy at hitting 80ft on grass ... Will go again tonight with a stripping basket - jersey is near!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Casting lessons are fine but....

go to someone who understands the differences between fresh and salt fly size, weight and loop control.

I know what I'm saying won't make sense YET but tight loops might be just fine in the day with small flies.

Try throwing a heavy clouser or a wet 6" flatwing at night and tight loops are a PITA and potentially rod destructive and personally dangerous.

This is why I choose mid actioned (not fast) rods and go one, sometimes 2 lines heavy to change the stupidly fast actioned rods we have today to suit Bass flies.

If you were ever in Jersey I could show you the difference.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Posted the other day about my recent casting lessons - will get some more over the winter as i want nice sharp back loops!

Did go and do 40 mins practice last night and happy at hitting 80ft on grass ... Will go again tonight with a stripping basket - jersey is near!
Learn to hold the loose loops in your hand Alex.
Stripping baskets are a hindrance in Jersey mostly.

·
Banned
58 Posts
DH

remember too Alex - its not all about distance - the fish we got yesterday were at 15 metres - in fact 90% of the fish we get are at 15-22 metres - sometimes getting it to 12 or 15 metres is the challenge - wise words from Keith!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
As a certain Lefty Kreh once stated
"no disadvantage in being able to cast far"

Not getting hung up on the distance but being able to fish 20 mtrs in wind and adverse conditions is my aim - basically being able to fly fish efficiently alongside the lure guys when I am searching for fish :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mel Krieger has some pretty good videos on youtube, but i would have to agree that lessons would be the best option

1 - 14 of 14 Posts