The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been experimenting lately with the Senkos and Xlayers rigged weightless on a very shallow mark where there is only between 6 inch to 3ft of water with a strong running tide I always fish this particular mark at night as the Bass tend to stay in the deeper water in daylight.

The mark is a headland of large rocks with shallow mixed ground surrounding it which has a strong tide hitting the side of it creating a nice back eddy which spreads out until the headland gets covered by the tide the Bass move into the back eddy at night and hang up in-between the run and the slack and can move from one spot to another depending on the height of the incoming tide.

I have been using drifted SP,s on this mark as this is my preferred method as it is stealthy ,it is very easy to spook the fish by other methods I have tried but I am experiencing problems regarding positive hook ups when casting the SP up tide and drifting back towards the lying fish , the bites can vary from being very subtle to absolutely vicious depending on the position of the lure to where I am standing on the beach ,each time I have tried striking I miss the bite and the only successful method I have found is to wind into the fish but I still miss a load of bites is there another tactic I can use to try and get better hook ups ?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
What hooks are you using ?

And, are you sure the bites are ALL fish ? Check for V notches in soft lures.

This post is why I rig with straight shanked and pegged lures and, I too don't strike on weightless/weedless lures drifted, just tighten up.

Personally....

Offset hooks, 50% hookup rate
Straight hooks 70% plus..

Makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keith

When you say "Straighten Up" .....does that mean wait until the fish is down tide of you and let the power of the tide and movement of the fish hook it,s self ?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
OK, its hard to describe but, you will, when casting upcurrent, generate slackline. This is good as it gives a freefalling lure without drag.
However, you won't feel the takes.

Instead, cast upcurrent but, maintain a just in contact by retrieving but, move you WHOLE body and keep the line off the water as much as possible, even mending it as needed.
As the Senko passes your 12 o'clock, you'll already have a deep bow down current. Keep the rod 90 degree's to the angle of the bow. You'll feel the lure turn and accelerate as the lure drops below your position. Don't retrieve at all now just follow the lure across the flow with the rod tip getting higher the closer it comes to the inside of any flow. Then....

Let it hang. In fact, on the way over the flow, quick drop backs of the rod will turn the senko head down current quickly before giving an inducing lift as the line tightens again.

Never strike under such circumstances, just wind down but, keep an angle with the rod. When all hell breaks loose, you don't want a direct un-cushioned line to fish.

Read my post again, I didn't say straighten up, I said tighten up.

Hope this helps..

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks Keith...

Makes sens now with what your saying....Will have to put it to practice and iron out some bad habits.

Regarding the hooks..... Straight Shank but did not Pegg them.....No V notches in the lures

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Yes, it takes practice but, nothing is 100% I'm afraid. The best thing in your case is you are getting hit up. This alone is excellent.

Use the softest lures in Senko's you have, the GY ones are very soft indeed and it makes a difference. Not all Senko's are super soft.

Ok, contrary to popular belief, I'd suggest you rig the Senko, skin on side. It will give the senko a slight offset wobble as it falls and, you must peg it.

You'll get 4 or 5 re-rigs out of a soft Senko.

Basically,rig the lure as normal but, just nick the hook point into the thinnest side section you can. When this tears out, use the other side.
When that tears out, push the tail of the lure towards the hook eye fractionally and twist the senko putting a very, very slight bump in the mid section.
This will not work in very very fast current unless totally drifting freely btw. Then, side skin it again. Reverse the procedure for the opposite side.

When you've hooked the Senko in this way and you've torn the rig free a few times...
Just shorten the Senko a little bit and start again.

Also, de-barbing aids hookups as does the wire used. Use a medium wire, not heavy.
When setting the hooks, lower the rod into a position where you are using the mid section and lower end of the rods power to set the hook but, in a position where when set, you can quickly throw the rod back into a shock absorption role.

Good luck..

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I agree with all keith says and add that a sensitive rod helps no end. If the rod tip is sensitive enough you still be able to feel the lure bouncing across the bottom or lifting around obstacles. when I can feel that, I know i'm still in contact with the lure but that it's moving naturally with the flow. I also know that a take isn't going to be long in coming!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Any mid wire hook with barb holders (optional but useful)

I like the Decoy ones personally and have never had problems with the wire bending out or the points dulling. Good quality.
The eyes on these hooks lend themselves to pegging too as they are a straight eye.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
yes, very good but.......

steepen the angle which the hook first enters the lure and then....
skin the side so either the hook point is just barely visible or, just under the skin of the lure. It will be delicate and not for super long casting.

Your example would be fine for a clean run through.

You can, with practice, bend the shank of the hook too but that is for another post. This enables you to hook the lure as I've described but lower the keeling effect.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Would giving the shank of the hook from about 15mm from the eye a slight bend inwards towards the point reduce the keeling effect ?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
yes but, having a keel helps stop the lure rolling over after bottom contact in current.
However, it is worth playing with and you can custom bend shanks and open/close gape to suit certain lures.

Just use HIGH quality hooks and make sure you wear safety glasses when first attempting this. Once you find a brand that is ok, you are generally fine to do this at the waterside with your favourite pliers. 1 or 2 bends is fine, don't overdo it or you fatigue the metal.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Found these old mustads in the lower end of one of my tackle boxes.

Does anyone know if they are still available? They allow quick threading on of worms very easily.
Also, the eye is a nice size for a cocktail stick to poke into.

·
Registered
894 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Thanks Paddy. I found myself looking thru the Mustad website earlier.
http://www.mustad.no/Swimbait/index.html
They have some short films on how to mount baits etc. I also saw that they have some really nice circle hooks with spike/screw attachement for your SP. Actually, thats arse about face. I found the circle hooks thru Anglers Corner in Wales - http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ANGLERS-CORNER - just enter circle hooks and you will soon find them.

Going back to the original theme to this thread.....
I was all packed, dressed up and in the process of getting my bike downstairs from my flat this evening. All with the intention of trying this drifiting Sp's for myself. Was all but perfect. High tide tonite about 9pm, winds just dropped away and the place I am thinking of going to has yielded quite a few schoolies and small bass in the past. Then I started to get that feeling I had forgotten something. Something just wasn't right. So, I called my ex wife to make sure I had promised my son anything for this evening and the first words out of her were "Oh, have Asda delivered already??"
BO**OX!!!! Got my weekly shopping being delivered between 7 and 9 this evening. In amongst which is some shopping for my ex wife too. Hence her question. Ho hum, back to the drawing board, :?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Another example on that same site of Hook Bending, just as Keith was saying about in an earlier post....

http://www.mustad.no/slowdeath/index.html

Unfortunate name for a hook, in my mind, but it would seem to be just what the doctor ordered here.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts