The Lure Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I've seen a few videos of drop shot fishing on You Tube and I was impressed by the action of the lures, but I have a few questions:

Where can I use the technique from the shore? From the beach or harbour walls?

What sort of rod and line do I need? I have a 7' Bushwhacker, an 8' Quantum Energy Bass, an 8' 1-3oz Savage Gear multi-purpose rod (irresistable ebay bargain) and a cheap 1-3oz Ron Thompson 9' peir rod.

How much weight do I need to hold bottom?

Do the lures need to be unweighted?

Any advice or links would be much appreciated,

Tony.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Hi Guys,

I've seen a few videos of drop shot fishing on You Tube and I was impressed by the action of the lures, but I have a few questions:

Where can I use the technique from the shore? From the beach or harbour walls?
Everywhere.

What sort of rod and line do I need? I have a 7' Bushwhacker, an 8' Quantum Energy Bass, an 8' 1-3oz Savage Gear multi-purpose rod (irresistable ebay bargain) and a cheap 1-3oz Ron Thompson 9' peir rod.
Special rods exist for the technique but, you can use the Bushwhacker as long as you don't overshake the lure.

How much weight do I need to hold bottom?
Varies. I find 1/4 through to 1oz the most useful. It's easier to learn with at least 1/2oz.

Do the lures need to be unweighted?
Start that way yes.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your advice Keith, as always.

Do I need special drop shot weights or are Arsley Bombs OK?

Which line? Braid or mono? Braid with leader? Is 15lb too much?

Which lures? Drop shot minnows or are worms OK?

Conditions? Should I leave it until the weather is calm or does the technique still work in rougher seas?

Any links to show how to rig the lures and what knots to use? Paloma knot sounds familiar.

Thanks again,
Tony.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Thanks for your advice Keith, as always.

Do I need special drop shot weights or are Arsley Bombs OK?

Which line? Braid or mono? Braid with leader? Is 15lb too much?

Which lures? Drop shot minnows or are worms OK?

Conditions? Should I leave it until the weather is calm or does the technique still work in rougher seas?

Any links to show how to rig the lures and what knots to use? Paloma knot sounds familiar.

Thanks again,
Tony.
Arsley bombs can be used but the dedicated dropshot weights are in my opinion a bit better.

Monos have too much stretch and are no good, so braid or a high-quality fluorocarbon mainline is the way to go.

Both minnows and worms can be used with excellent results

Because you best attach the dropshot weight in the mainline tag end the palomar is the only way to go.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've been playing around with this method for wrasse, great for keeping a lure in the 'hotspot'.

I've been using the palomar knot, but just ordered some of these from AGM.

http://www.agmdiscountfishing.co.uk/dropshot-grip-swivel-10pcs-p-1892.html

I've also been messing around tying the weight on via an elastic band to enable you to jiggle without moving the weight much.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice guys.

You've given me the confidence to give it a try. Now I just need to order a few bits and find a suitable mark. I'm thinking that deeper water at my feet might be preferable to the beach, but i might give that a try too.

All the best,
Tony.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts