The Lure Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to do a bit of drop shotting this season so set about learning how to rig it. I found what I was after and set about practising the rig using the Palomar Knot.

There was a little frustration though because I found that sometimes the hook would present itself with the point uppermost so that it was up and away from the mainline. At other times I found it would present itself with the hook pointing down towards the bottom of the rig and into the mainline.

After a bit of tinkering I learnt that it was all in the way I presented the line through the eye of the hook.

I hold the hook in my left hand with the point facing up. I found that when I made the loop to pass through the eye, if the tag end which I wanted to attach the weight to was on the left of the mainline, the hook would present 'point up'. If the tag end was to the right of the mainline, the hook would present 'point down'. (I experimented doing 10 x alternate left/right of mainline and the hook presentation was as described each time)

After all that....................I do have a question! For those who use this rig already, which if any, is the preferred hook presentation, up or down??

Thanks, Andy.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Andy,
I have never bothered with the palomar know when drop shotting. I use a standard half blood knot leaving enough line to attach the shot/weight on the tag end. When I have tied the hook on to the line pass the tag end of the line back through the hook eye. If you want the hook point upwards pass the line through the hook point side, if you wanting pointing down put it through the other side. It works everytime.

Personally I have the hook point upwards everytime, the idea being it is more 'snag resistant'.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
After all that....................I do have a question! For those who use this rig already, which if any, is the preferred hook presentation, up or down??

Thanks, Andy.
I've been dabbling with the drop shot rig for a while now and watched a load of the vids on youtube. They all seem to present the hook upwards.

Andy,
I have never bothered with the palomar know when drop shotting. I use a standard half blood knot leaving enough line to attach the shot/weight on the tag end. When I have tied the hook on to the line pass the tag end of the line back through the hook eye. If you want the hook point upwards pass the line through the hook point side, if you wanting pointing down put it through the other side. It works everytime.

Personally I have the hook point upwards everytime, the idea being it is more 'snag resistant'.
I'll try the blood knot method, I find the Palomar a pain, I don't geddit, it's a dead simple knot but I can't seem to nail it for a drop shot. I cheated and got some of these. :wink:

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I drop shot quite a bit.

I use a palomar and like it but....

recently have started using purpose built 'cheat' drop shot hooks and they are great.

often times, the weight of a soft lure keels the palomar rigged hook and lure downwards and it ain't natural.

Not so with the 'cheat' hooks.

I love em.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.

Just a couple of things though.................Nursi your link doesn't work so I don't know what I'm looking for :)

Are those cheat hooks you're on about Keith the ones with a kink in it near the eye?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those are the ones I'd seen too Mark, I'm getting some!

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
I haven't been using the dropshot rig for a long time so hows about some pics and tips for this technique?

I'm still not sure about drop shotting at range ( to cover more area) and whether the lure will sit horizontal with the current when it gets in the water.

How to use it off a drifting boat...

What weight to use...

Etc...

:?:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Keith (and Dai for the original post).

·
Registered
357 Posts
I drop shot quite a bit.

I use a palomar and like it but....

recently have started using purpose built 'cheat' drop shot hooks and they are great.

often times, the weight of a soft lure keels the palomar rigged hook and lure downwards and it ain't natural.

Not so with the 'cheat' hooks.

I love em.
I would confirm what Keith has said as I have purchassed some of the same hooks (mine are in red though) -- they are the dogs dodars as when you are drop shotting with the hooks that we normally use and using a Palomar knot with the mono run back through the eye you are always wondering about the presentation angle of your SP is -- this does not happen using the said hooks, and I don't think they are a cheat.

I think that the use of Floating SPs and proper drop shot hooks can only lead to a better hook up ratio IMHO.

Drop shot hooks and floating SPs can be obtained from AGM they are very well priced and delivery is also very quick (I must be on commission Allan).

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Squid.

Just purchased a load of plastic from AGM but no hooks (D'Oh). I suppose that means I'll have to buy some more plastic and put some hooks in too :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts