The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its about the right time now for the black bream to start showing up at a mark that usually produces, want to try drop shotin this year has apposed to bait, was thinking about a 2" reins vibro to a size 8 or 10 carp hook tied polomar, not sure about distance between hook and lead tho, was thinking about 10"-18" does this set up sound ok, any tips app' thanks

·
Registered
519 Posts
who knows mate, non of us have tried yet as far as i know for the bream on sp's so only time and experimentation will show the way of the samurai on LRF/HRF gear.

kev

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Vary the distance between weight and hook Carl.

Wrasse can respond to 6" or 2ft 6" on the day or depending upon type of ground.

I've had Pollack 5 and 6ft up from the weight.

I'll show you how I do it (adjust the length) when I see you.
We are moving into unknown territory now...

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
On our recent boat trip we caught most of the fish (on bait) on the bottom hook of baited feathers. Different places and different states of the tide will create different behaviour on the bream so keep and open mind and experiment. One thing I learnt fishing for them in OZ is don't be afraid to use bait to prove they are there before you write off what you are doing.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
good idea mike, iv caught them on baited feathers b4 also when baited just a couple of feathers have hooked on the unbaited ones, usually baited with mackeral could be the scent so going to try s.p's dipped in mack oil has well

·
Registered
297 Posts
its about the right time now for the black bream to start showing up at a mark that usually produces, want to try drop shotin this year has apposed to bait, was thinking about a 2" reins vibro to a size 8 or 10 carp hook tied polomar, not sure about distance between hook and lead tho, was thinking about 10"-18" does this set up sound ok, any tips app' thanks
Depends on the bottom structure where you are fishing
mud? sand? weed? boulders? reef? dropoffs?

Keith notes he has a system for adjusting drop shot lengths
(Post it Keith!)
One way I do it:
- attach a clip to the line where the sinker/weight would normally be
then you can add a longer/shorter length for your weight to adjust for conditions/structure
(see pic)

Nick

Attachments

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
proper drop shot weights are crazy money for rockfish and potentially, Bream due to the loss rate.

I've started using el cheapo bomb weights in 1/4 1/2 3/4 and 1 ounce in ground swell.

I modify packs of diamond eye swivels. Mid sized ones.

I cut one side. Just use snips to snip one one swivel loop and as you cut, open it up a bit.
The loop the other side...Squeeze the diamond towards the tip.

Take 1 el cheapo bomb with a loop eye.
pass the cut end of the swivel over the eye and fold it closed (like a cut hook)

Pass line through the other side, get length and simply pull the line and trap it in the squeezed diamond eye.

To adjust...

Unlock just like a drop shot weight proper and re-lock.

Works out way...way, cheaper.

And works for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts