The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I had been waiting for the trip for sometime. The wife was off to Cork for a cooking course!!!, the kids were packed away with their Nan and I was accompanying the wife to do an errrr little bit of plugging!

Anyway, got to Garryvoe in East Cork on sunday evening. A chat with a good fishing mate on Sunday morning had yielded up a few potential spots.

At 4am on Monday morning I headed out from the hotel on an 1.5hr car trip to West Cork. I had a list of spots closer to Garryvoe but I had up to date info on this particular position. Anyway got to the general area and couldn't find the exact spot (no signposts, those crafty Corkies ;-) ).I found a likely looking rocky cove with a slipway and a trawler tied up and I proceeded to catch a few pollock. 20 minutes in and the skipper arrived down with a lad. A quick conversation later and the lads had me convinced it wasn't a great spot for bass. Off I went and found a better looking spot (which turned out to be across the bay from my intended position which I couldn't figure out how to get at). The tide was beginning to turn at this point. I put on a K10 and started into it. Working my way around a rocky headland and on into shallower water BANG, fish on. The water was still about 12/15ft deep and the fish stayed down which made me think big fish, after a number of runs where it stayed doggedly deep I finally caught glimpse. A stonker. I worked my way to a better landing position and slowly guided the fish in. Using the waves I banked him and got the boga on him. He was a beauty. A quick weigh using the boga had him a shade over 9 3/4 lbs but not quite the 10lbs mark. I lay my Sakura Shukan alongside the fish for a pic and to capture the scale of him. He was approx 70cm and a fine fish. Pic taken and fish admired I held him in the water for a good 1/2 mins before he got strenght in his tail and slowly swam away. What a start to the trip!!

I fished on into low tide on this mark and had 1 more bass of about 3 lbs on a patchinko. I moved on and on my way back to Garryvoe I stopped off at a couple more spots but although they looked 'right', they didn't throw up any fish for me.

The following 2 days were spent at marks in East Cork. I tried a few different places but got lucky on one particular spot which for me looked devastatingly good. 2 sessions in 2 days on this spot yielded 11 bass on a range of lures including pathinko, z claw, shallow feed, k 10. I lost a fish at my feet, another half way in and had numerous swipes at the surface lures. It was massive fishing (by Dublin standards) and I enjoyed every minute of it. After 3 consecutive 4am starts, I'm like a zombie now but boy was it worth it. I've a few more pics here. The biggest fish in this spot were a couple of 5lbs ers, all fish were bristling and in lovely condition and all were released.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Great work colm :) i see the cork bass were kind to you brilliant fishing mate :) fancy sharing any tips im set for east cork, but for west cork i dont have many marks :(

·
Registered
231 Posts
brilliant fishing colm :) those cork bass are great :) want to share any tips on location?? you should have given me a shout when you were down :)

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Your 9 3/4lb is a stunner, lovely good condition bass, well done mate,
And the others are crackers too.
Well done on some awesome sessions!!

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
What a spanking fish! Excellent stuff Colm!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts