The Lure Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI guy's, sorry i am so late with my report, i had 6 small Wrasse at bathing place on the vico rd. It was one houre off befour hight tide, gin clear water casting out about 4 yards leting the light swell wash the sp into the rock face then giveing it a few delicate jig's the wrasse hit it on the drop fish on. although not big fish but great fun. my set up on the day was

ROD Graphitleader Argento 7ft 6in 5-21
REEL Shimano Stradic CI4
Line 10lb Power PRO
SHOCKLEADER 6LB P Line FC
HOOK SIZE 4 Kamasan
1/6oz Bullet weight.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Actually, I find it 'really' interesting that you've gone lighter in the leader...

Very 'freshwater' approach.

I have considered lighter tippets LRF and if kept 'part' of the leader might be beneficial to getting takes.

6lb takes some breaking !

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Nice one Sam, after reading the report I think that I might have been trying to work the lures a little too much when I was there last week. Thats a great little spot in Dalkey, although the clothing optional nature of the place can be a little off putting at times. :shock:

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one Sam! Those rods are spot on for it as well aren't they!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Nice one Sam, after reading the report I think that I might have been trying to work the lures a little too much when I was there last week. Thats a great little spot in Dalkey, although the clothing optional nature of the place can be a little off putting at times. :shock:
I've found that by fishing LRF in the buff I fit right in, they hardly notice me fishing stealthily amongst them ;-) Interesting point about jigging vs drifting the SP - that Sam is a canny devil! Anyway, I got a slightly better one on Monday night in perfect conditions. Tried hard for pollack (SPs and small vibrating blade) but still no pollack - last summer this area was a banker for small ones. I even took a flyfishing mate and I got a good few on a 3wt!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Blimey Rolfe, bet that was helluva fight on the Diaflash!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I've found that by fishing LRF in the buff I fit right in, they hardly notice me fishing stealthily amongst them ;-) Interesting point about jigging vs drifting the SP - that Sam is a canny devil! Anyway, I got a slightly better one on Monday night in perfect conditions. Tried hard for pollack (SPs and small vibrating blade) but still no pollack - last summer this area was a banker for small ones. I even took a flyfishing mate and I got a good few on a 3wt!
Thats a nice fish Rolfe, I'd say he gave you some fight on that light gear. I was a bit surprised by the lack of pollock myself, that area is usually full of small ones. I used to catch loads of them using teasers when spinning so I'm planning on bringing my 3 - 4# trout set-up down for a bit of fun this year.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Blimey Rolfe, bet that was helluva fight on the Diaflash!
Hey Ben - you're right he very nearly did me! Luckily I hooked him about 4ft from me in 3 feet of water so could hold rod above him and pull at the right angle. I reckon it's the closest thing we have to Aussie style bream in Europe - the tackle is the same, they are as strong as bream (I've caught both) and they are both dirty buggers - straight into the bad stuff.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Nice fish Rolfe im definitely missing out on this Lrf fishing what sort of ground are you fishing is it harbours or more rocky Marks?
Hi Ken

Rocky marks - the 40' / Vico swimming area. Trick is to fish close in with small SPs (so far 2" with 1/8-1/11th head on #4 or 6 hooks ) in the dark bits between the rocks. If you consciously work your SP around the dark bits and edges and keep your SP on or near the bottom you should get one. High tide (1hr each side), slow lifts, maybe 2-10" off the bottom and then letting it fall on a semi-slack line have worked for me. Sam has described his technique above. The real experts (Jersey boys) have written a lot on this obviously. Now I'm just starting this wrasse/LRF but I have used the same basic technique for smallmouth bass in California, various species in SA saltwater, for chub on a rivers and perch in lakes - ambush predators (like wrasse) all operate broadly on the same principals. Find an edge of something (where they can hide) and work it systematically. You might try to hook up with Sam - I'm sure he'd be happy to show you the ropes in exchange for a Northside sea trout mark or two!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts