The Lure Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I must admit since joining the site I've been fascinated by the idea of targeting species on artificials that I would normally only fish for with bait. Wrasse was top of my list and so I headed off to a mark where I was sure they would be on Friday but unfortunately is wasn't to be, although I did catch a little red cod which kind of made up for the lack of wrasse.

Undeterred I headed off again on Sunday to explore the surrounding area a little more at low tide and try to find a couple of new spots to try and with a few new spots identified I headed back yesterday to fish them over high tide. It didn't get off to a great start I must admit, probably because I'm still trying to get the hang of this kind of fishing. I started off with larger slickworms and slugos before rummaging through the box looking for something a little smaller. I eventually found a single curl tailed grub and rigged it up on a small darter jig head. It wasn't long before I saw a wrasse follow it in only to turn away, this happened several times but at least now I knew I was getting the interest of a few fish. I flicked it out again but this time he took it, I was delighted. Although I've caught much bigger wrasse before but this was the first time I'd ever targeted and caught one on lure. I've still have a lot more learning to do but hopefully it will be the first of many.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Very good work Dave! Satisfying when it works isn't it! And a cod!!!!!!!! This time last year we couldn't have imagined cathing either fish with any regularity on lures! :p

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Brilliant stuff Dave, great report and stunning fish !

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Great stuff. As you better get to know Wrasse on lures they become easier to target.
You guys could be sitting on some really big fish too.

·
Banned
1,934 Posts
Well in Dave...nice to wet a line and get a fish too!!!

I'll bell you over the weekend for a mid week outing next week if it suits.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nice one Dave....miss dublin verry much....theres load of good pollack and wrasse spot there that i used to explore using softies....but i bet now its gonna be more interesting targetting them using small HRF softies compare to ordinary size softies like i used to do.cheerrsss...

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks lads, just a bunch more small sp's today and I can't wait to start experimenting and sussing out this type of fishing. I'll be heading down to Kerry for a little over a week later i the summer and I hoping to get a few proper wrasse then.

Thanks lads, just ordered a bunch more small sp's today and I can't wait to start experimenting and sussing out this type of fishing. I'll be heading down to Kerry for a little over a week later in the summer and I hoping to have got the hang out this type of fishing by the and to get a few proper wrasse when I'm down there.

I'll bell you over the weekend for a mid week outing next week if it suits.....
Absolutely Crevan, I'd be up for that.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Well I had an appointment in the same area today so I made a little impromptu stop off and just eh... happened to have my gear in the car. Anyway it was about an hour before high tide when I got there and the conditions looked good for the wrasse. I rigged up with the same little curl tailed grub that I caught the last wrasse on and within a few casts I was in again. Not quite as big as the last one but a welcome sight none the less but I am looking forward to trying this technique on some propper wrasse marks later in the summer. I was trying to work the lure much more slowly and subtly this time and it seemed to work, still very much learning though but I think every fish teaches you something new. I stayed for about an hour or so after that and tried a couple of promising looking areas but I didn't have any more luck. Still though, its not a bad way to spend your lunch time. I'm just looking forward to my assortment of small sp's to arrive from AGM now so I can do a bit more experimenting and hopefully catching.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well done that man, Dave i am going to get some wrasse fishing done this weekend let you know where i will be.
Good stuff Sam, I'm thinking of heading out again on Sunday if you're about.

Nice Fish Dave Have a few little softies coming to me for some of this HRF fishing.
I have to admit Ken that fishing these little sp's is beginning to get quite addictive, certainly a lot more challenging and fun than just fishing for wrasse with rag and I'm already starting to think about what other species I could target with them.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Yes Dave, but it will be sunday night i think i will go to wicklow i would like to get some work in on the wrasse in darkness.
Do you guys get wrasse in the darkness? When ever I have been fishing for wrasse, as soon as it gets DARK DARK it all goes quiet! Would be great to hear of some catches during the night!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts