The Lure Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I eventually took the plunge and got myself some lighter gear namely a Cormoran ULX (1-9g) and a TR4 (6-28g) which I've teamed up with a Rarenium 2500 and some Daiwa Tournament 8x braid.

I took them out with me today to try them out and see if I could catch a fish or two on them. I just headed down to Dalkey to a mark I figured should have lots of small pollock, its also a clothing optional bathing spot but that's another story.

Anyway I decided to try the TR4 first and rigged up with 3g jighead and a 3.5cm curltailed grub. I couldn't believe it first cast and I was in, my first little pollock of propper light gear. I was worried the I might have some initial teething issues whilst I got used to the shorter rod and finer braid but I have to say I was very impressed with the set up and it was an absolute joy to use. I was catching a fish nearly every cast and having so much fun that I had forgotten that I still had the ULX to try so after a few fish, tbh I can't remember how many I switched over to the ULX and again within a couple of cast I was in to another little pollock but I hadn't realised just how light the ULX was and before I knew it the fish had got in under the reef in front of me and I couldn't get him out, I let the line go slack for a second and out he came long enough for me to turn him and bring him in. I couldn't believe it, I actually got a fight out a little pollock. I can't wait to try and catch flounder on it next, never mind mackerel just imagine how much fun that'll be. Anyway I caught one or two more on the ULX but decided to switch back to the slightly heavier TR4, I couldn't believe it just as I was rigging up again a shoal of launce moved through but were gone again by the time I cast out. I was hoping some mackerel might follow but maybe next time. I stayed for a little while longer and I think I caught something like 10 or 15 pollock in the end but it was great fun even if they were only small.

P7121002.jpg P7121006.jpg P7121003.jpg P7121008.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Nice one Dave, I have the cormorron TR4 matched with the rarenium and as you say its a joy. I love the lighter stuff That I'm even going to sell RB270. Oh and makeral are brilliant fun on the lighter gear, wait till you get a snappy little school bass on it. Enjoy.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Nice fishing Dave!! never mind the small bass wait till u hook a wrasse bigger than a pound.. like hooking a ****ed off seal!!!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks lads definitely hooked on the light stuff now actually I was hoping that I might get a wrasse or two today, I've caught them down there before on sp's with my bass set up and they even put up a fight on that so I can't wait to get one on the light stuff.

Well done Dave, that's a top spot for the small stuff, i am going to try to get down tomorow afternoon if the weather hold's up. I have to give my new LRF-MRF a try, did you have a go at the wresse?
It certainly is a great spot for the small stuff alright and I did indeed try for the Wrasse but I just couldn't seem to get trough the pollock, I even tried some of my little crayfish sort of crab like sp's to see if that would tempt a wrasse but didn't have any luck with them either. Let me know how you get on tomorrow and how you find the new rods.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yeah Dave!
Light gear rules!

the bass really go on it too
proper fishing that - not skull dragging

nick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts