The Lure Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well pleased to get my first wrasse (also a rockling & a tiny pollack) 5 minutes from my Killiney home last night on my first LRF trip this year - 1 hour session 9-10pm, high was 11.40ish. Despite being small the Wrasse went very well on the 7' Diaflash. 1/8oz no. 6 jighead, Cultiva 2" pink grub. Apologies about the picture quality - not sure what went wrong. Hope it's not the last!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
well done good to hear of a few wrass up in the capital...

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Awesome, welcome to the club m8. Great isn't it.
Keep em coming but...

Be careful. the diaflash is a great rod but...a big zoo creature rod it's not.

Which model do you have ?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keith I reckon there isn't much risk of pukka zoo creatures in my area - the mark is usually dependable for small pollack but not much else - I was more shocked than the wrasse! I've got the 7'3" (to 4gr). Was out again this evening but typical Irish weather the sea was on its head in a strong Southerly. I've got to change my line - I'm running green Daiwa 8braid (PE 0.8) which is good but I can't see it properly - a real handicap as I'm a compulsive line-watcher. I'm looking at PE 0.6 - any thoughts on visibility between Varivas or Sunline (light blue) v YGK or Silver Thread (yellow) or a cool pink egging braid?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Pink is great. I don't actually have any but...
Paul B uses it and it is easy to watch in most light conditions and, looses itself nicely in the dark.

Become a 'feeler' and you can hit takes by day or night though and line colour becomes a moot point.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one Rolfe!!! The wrasse definitely go on the light rods don't they!!! :p

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well done Rolfe, seeing LRF reports starting to appear in my neck of the woods is starting to make me very tempted to take the plunge and give it a go. Its great to see the wrasse starting to appear, keep the reports coming.
Well Dave I've got one LRF spot only so far but happy to show it to you - good opportunity to play with some gear. I guess Howth or one of the piers is worth a look - apparently Dun Laioghaire harbour is haunted by a large pack of killer seals so no good...these sort of stories always make me suspicious! Sam (Plugman) and I are planning to get out to Dalkey island this summer - looks really good from the mainland

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pink is great. I don't actually have any but...
Paul B uses it and it is easy to watch in most light conditions and, looses itself nicely in the dark.

Become a 'feeler' and you can hit takes by day or night though and line colour becomes a moot point.
Mmmmm 'feelers' and 'watchers' - its starting to sound like a Fantasy novel or something worse! I'll probably give the pink a go then...

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Well Dave I've got one LRF spot only so far but happy to show it to you - good opportunity to play with some gear. I guess Howth or one of the piers is worth a look - apparently Dun Laioghaire harbour is haunted by a large pack of killer seals so no good...these sort of stories always make me suspicious! Sam (Plugman) and I are planning to get out to Dalkey island this summer - looks really good from the mainland
I've still got to sort myself out with a lighter lure setup but I reckon I'll be doing that pretty soon and I'd certainly be up for a session or two. I've actually never been out to Dalkey island but I definitely be on for a trip and you are right, it certainly does look good from the mainland.

As for other marks to try this LRF stuff, I reckon Wicklow harbour is well worth a go. I did a fair bit of bait fishing there last year and although at times it isn't quite idyllic its stuffed with fish and does tend to throw up some unusual species from time to time. I reckon that there are a few more marks worth trying on your doorstep though.;-)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sam Roche was out my way this week for a quick session and he got 6 small wrasse on SPs and homemade jigs - fair play for a first LRF session! I reckon the Whiterock / 40 Foot area is paved with the little blighters...(Sam sorry to steal your thunder). Definitely want to look at Wicklow harbour and estuary now its warmed up - probably some bass about too...

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Sam Roche was out my way this week for a quick session and he got 6 small wrasse on SPs and homemade jigs - fair play for a first LRF session! I reckon the Whiterock / 40 Foot area is paved with the little blighters...(Sam sorry to steal your thunder). Definitely want to look at Wicklow harbour and estuary now its warmed up - probably some bass about too...
I seem to remember you thinking the first was a one off, maybe an accident.

6 wrasse, no matter the size is superb going.

I'd love the details regards the jigs and lures. We've gone this way with some stuff too.
Mostly gear that isn't commercially available or on hand quickly should the pattern change.

I'm loving these reports..

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
There are a few spots between Whiterock and the 40 foot that are full of small wrasse and pollock alright, I also think that there are a couple of accessible spots on Bray head that might hold some better fish but I've never tried them myself. As for Wicklow harbour, apart from the wrasse (both corkwing and ballan), there's a good chance of tompot blenny and scorpion fish and of course pollock and possibly flounder. I've caught them all on bait and seen ling, gurnard and some other unexpected species being caught at close range there too but I haven't fished it with lures yet.

I was talking to Sam yesterday and he was telling me about the wrasse so I took a trip down there myself but I think might have been a little over gunned with my 8' 6" Rookie, so not quite LRF.:wink: I didn't manage to get any wrasse in the end but I did winkle out a little red cod on a 3" berkley power minnow, which made up for the lack of wrasse.

I think I'll be taking another trip or two down there soon but I think that I might need to invest in some lighter gear, I'm just not sure how light to go.:???: I was thinking maybe something along the lines of a Teklon Concept Spin 702L (7' - 7 - 25gm) paired with Shimano Rarenium Ci4 2500FA but I still not sure.:???:

Anyway I'll probably see you around there soon Rolfe.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts