The Lure Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trailored my boat to the slip yesterday. I always rig my boat ready to fish at home . Rods in the racks an rod holders ready for action. When I arrived at the slip I noticed that my 6 foot spinning rod was missing the popper and braid. I must have clipped a tree with the lure , emptied the spool somewhere on route. Its a miracle my $ 60 Shimano rod did not snap .

So that was the spinning option out of the question . I still had 4 fly rods in the rack rigged to fish.

Time to launch the boat.
I am quite proud of my launching and landing technique on lookers say ' wow' as I reverse down the slip jam the breaks and the boat pops off the trailor. Likewise while mere mortals stand waist deep in the water winching boats onto trailors I approach my trailor at ramming speed land square and true , hop out of the boat with all my pinkies bone dry then drive away leaving the other guys winching away .

This day was not quite so slick. Still wondering where in Cornwall my Popper was. I reversed the boat . (IN THE DARK) I hit the breaks as normal . Looked in the wing mirror and saw my boat drifting away . I had forgotten to teather the rope to the slip prior to entry. I had a split second to react I jumped out of the passenger door and soaked my feet . I had reversed too far back. Which explains why my boat was now drifting away. I managed to scamble to the boat just before she was out of reach and grab the rope. What a great start to the day.

The fishing was poor . Loads of small Pollack and 2 Bass for 8 hours fishing. The torrential rain the previous night had turned the sea into pea soup. Glad Im not fishing for a few days.

As I approached my house later that day I could se Yellow Braid running 100 feet down the garden attatched to the fence at on end and the tree at the other. The rest of the line was hung upout of the way of passing traffic (Thank God )

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great story Austen :clap:

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Good story Austen. Thanks for sharing it. Glad that you got your lure back lol!

Just wondering if you always use a swivel at the end of your braid & if that (the additional weight of the swivel) affects the action of your lures at all. Couldn't see any leader either....................just curious that's all.

Where in Cornwall are you from?

Cheers

Toby

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im based in Porthleven

I sometimes use a swivel. and link Thats a rubish one left over, Ive run out of good ones ! I dont bother using a shock leader if Im using surface lures. I have left a few fish wearing expensive jewlery compliments of leaders over the years. I fish heavy and simple . No messing around !

When I fly fish I use 20 Lb seaguar tippets or 15 lb at a push. If im feeling '' Sporty ''

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi mate, I was out yesterday aswell, the colour of the water was as you said like "pea soup" 8 hrs two anglers and one Bass ( a good one though) deffo thought the water was "off" due to the colour............

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
So its not just me that has days like that!! Great story Austen!!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
What do you do for an encore Austen..............:-D:-D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts