The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Between Simon's personal collection and Nathan's offerings, there won't be much else left to see LOL!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sounds good to me, i am looking forward meeting everyone and learning how to use japanese and french lures the right way.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
yeah i got one from ***** check Henrys blog he did an article on em

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
**** doenst have any stock of these in stock at the moment, and mine is now at the bottom of the sea in West Wales :( Anyone know where i can source another, or know of a suitable alternative :?:

·
Registered
25 Posts
What's the price of these? Was going to add a couple to my purchase having seen the HG article. I did find a French supplier on the net but not got to checking P&P charges.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the link but it's either because of where I am or the Mac/safari combo but I have a real game with the site. Every time I click one of the links to rod or reel makes or indeed anywhere other than the home page I get bounced back to the home page. I've tried clearing the cache, resetting Safari but no joy. Plan to mention it to **** when I speak later.

I might try a couple of different browsers like Firefox etc to see if that's better as it's a bit of a pain :cry:

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Thanks for the link but it's either because of where I am or the Mac/safari combo but I have a real game with the site. Every time I click one of the links to rod or reel makes or indeed anywhere other than the home page I get bounced back to the home page. I've tried clearing the cache, resetting Safari but no joy. Plan to mention it to **** when I speak later.

I might try a couple of different browsers like Firefox etc to see if that's better as it's a bit of a pain :cry:
Just type 'Press Bait' into the search tool on his site. That'll take you right to the 2 different colours he has in. I went for the Sandeel colour this time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks Simon. Very odd, I tried the link again and it works? Seems like if I click thinks 2 times it works. e.g. if I select the rods tab and click Tenyru I get taken to the Home Page. If I do it again I get the right link. Same if I then select reels and Shimano, back to the home page. try it again - works :???:

Will likely look at that braid you suggested. Is it OK for first time braid users do you think?

Also, if you have time, could you suggest a a selection of lures etc you think might be good for us for the area and for bass. Thinking of doubling up on most in case we lose the odd one (or several at first no doubt) and it would be nice to have a good range to try. I've seen the "best of 2009" thread but as we are totally new to this and given you fish the same waters some of the time I don't really want to just be going on random selections which we might make and which might be wrong for a) bass, b) the area and c) the rod\reel rig.

Don't know what you'd think, 10-15? To make life easier I might look to order the whole set up from **** in one swoop.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Thanks Simon. Very odd, I tried the link again and it works? Seems like if I click thinks 2 times it works. e.g. if I select the rods tab and click Tenyru I get taken to the Home Page. If I do it again I get the right link. Same if I then select reels and Shimano, back to the home page. try it again - works :???:

Will likely look at that braid you suggested. Is it OK for first time braid users do you think?

Also, if you have time, could you suggest a a selection of lures etc you think might be good for us for the area and for bass. Thinking of doubling up on most in case we lose the odd one (or several at first no doubt) and it would be nice to have a good range to try. Don't know what you'd think, 10-15? To make life easier I might look to order the whole set up from **** in one swoop.

I find the Power Shot excellent. Luke (my 8yr old lad) has been using it as his first venture into braid, and he's been doing fine. All you 'must' do, is manually flip the bail over after every cast (should be doing this with any braid), and just visually have a quick check for any loose loops. It becomes 2nd nature after a short while.

As for lures, it's a minefield. My thoughts are below - everyone will have their own views, but there are some lures that i think we would all agree on . . . . .

Surface lures:

Z-Claw (in Mullet & the Pink Lady)
Patchinko (Black/Silver or Sandeel)

Shallow Divers:

Feed Shallow (in Green Sandeel & Mullet or Sardine). You'll be fishing plenty of shallow reefs where these will be invalulable.
Maria Chase (Holo Silver or Green (ask Tim about the Green version)).

Medium Divers:

Duo Tide Minnow 120 (Chartreuse)
Duo Tide Minnow 145 SLD in D99-Holo (Sandeel)
Duo Tide Minnow 150 H09-TS (Mackerel)
Zonk Gataride Katakushi RB

Slightly Deeper Divers:

Zonk 120 GG Akakin
Zonk 120 HT Sayori Sandeel

Deep Divers:

Duo Hacker D99 (Sandeel)
Live X Revenge ITO Shrimp

Soft Plastics:

Xlayers in Ayu or Wagasaki (with some Jig Heads in the 7 - 15g range)
Gary Yamomoto Swim Senko's
Cormoran Sneaky or Slick Worms (Cheaper option than the Xlayers)

This is not the cheapest selection in the world, but they are all proven performers, and all available from **** (other than the Maria Chase perhaps ?). There are loads of others i could mention, but you wouldnt go far wrong with these for starters. There are cheaper alternatives if you wanted them also.

It's a nightmare really, trying to recommend lures to someone starting off, as the list above is pretty frightening when you tot-it all up. I'm sure that the other guys will comment though on some others that may be worth considering as additions or alternatives.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Just looked at that list again, & i'm having the horrors !! Id be hung-drawn & quartered at dawn in some parts for suggesting that lot. There really are lots of other good lures out there that are cheaper than that lot. But if you are looking at a one-stop-shop with **** to get you up & running, it's a selection worth considering. Also, if you call ****, he'll have some other stuff worth considering in his shop that will give you more of a range of prices of lures. He's got loads in his shop that isnt on his web-page, and i know he's had a large delivery in this week.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks Simon. I'm not TOO bothered about the cost. Start up is always an expensive time. When we first got into fly-fishing we spent what seemed like a Mint :shock:

I've mailed the list to **** and said I'll call in an hour or so.

Help from everyone MUCH appreciated.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts