The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the change in the clocks has meant a return of light before I have to head to work, so of course that means a "on the way to work session".
Dropped in on a mark in the Shoreham area that I have looked at a couple of times, but haven't really fished this year. But given the wind and tide this morning, it appeared to be the right choice.
Bearing in mind that Sussex suddenly seems to be somewhat short of bass, I was pleasently surprised when this bass decided that the OSP Rudra that I was working jerkbait style looked tempting. A really good scrap in a pretty heavy flow, and nearly falling in while landing it resulted in a nice 3lb bass.

Dropped another a couple of casts later, I think I was getting a bit carried away with the jerks!!, On for a couple of headshakes then gone. But bass before work, means I am smiling today. Will return to the mark with a few other lures, as I think it will result in some bass.
Have to say that the OSP Rudra is becoming a favourate mid water lure, it has been out fishing my one and only Zonk.
So still a few fish around, having to think more carefully about where to look for them, but season isn't over quite yet.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one mate! Lucky man! Good call on the Rudra too. I only really started using them this summer but couldn't be more impressed with the number of fish they catch!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ben, not often impressed by anything other than my normal super shallow stuff-mainly as I don't get to fish them often. But I have to agree with You and ****, the Rudra is a bit special. It seems to be one of those lures that while I might not get to fish much, will be the one that saves me from the dreaded blank.
I like versitile lures, and the Rudra works well on a simple straight retrieve, and cuts and darts beautifully when used as a true jerkbait.
Same goes for the OSP Asura-cracking little lure.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Agreed. I was well in to the Asura long before I tried a Rudra. Generally used it just like you too as a proper jerkbait. Although it'll obviously do it all really. The depth they dive too is quite often an advantage around here.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ben,
Funny thing about the Rudra, retrieving with the rod tip high has a pretty dramatic effect on the depth the lure runs at. Have managed to "get away" with fishing it on a couple of shallow marks. Have to agree that the Rudra is one of those "all round" useful lures, along with the likes of the Duo SLD-F, Patchinko, and for many the Zonk.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Great work Dave. All before work eh, no wonder you're smiling. Also in agreement, the Rudra has a lovely action and like Ben says, there are often times when the depth is an advantage. Were you fishing an Estuary Dave?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Matt,
Bottom of a local tidal river, but man made banks. So not really an estuary as such. Plenty of structure (rocks/walls/poles) to break up the flow. Interesting (read challanging) place to fish properly. Might try heavy 30g drift pencils to get the right combination of depth/action/distance.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Sounds cool Dave. Fishing in the flow is great, such a scrap from the fish. I like fishing from rocks etc, but the Estuary type stuff is top banana for me.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Nice one Dave, you did better than me! I checked out a beach yesterday afternoon and it didnt seem too bad. I arrived at 5.00 this morning at a nearby mark to find the swell rolling in from forever and the water like soup! First cast into the wind and I must have made 15 yards!

Still, at least I got time for a good breakfast before work!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Andrew,
I did say it was sneaky-found somewhere to get get the wind (almost) behind me. But if your going to fish into wind, worth checking out ZipBait Monsoon Breakers-29g of wind beating missile, just fishing them with a wtd subsurface retrieve!! Becareful if you get the wind behind you though-they really really fly!!
http://www.zipbaits.com/catalog/2010_cataloge/zbl_monsoon/zbl_monsoon_breaker.htm
Perfect for those days when the bass are there, but so is the wind. Slide Swim Minnow 85 on it's way from the land of shiny plastic at the moment-hope they get here before the bass disappear. Basically a smaller version of the Breaker!!!

Reactions: Andrew Walker

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Cheers Dave. Being dense, I hadnt quite realised how much the wind had got up, I was sheltered until I got to the beach and so having made the effort to get there, I was committed really plus there was no where else to go locally that was likley to be any better.

I will track those lures down and its always useful to have a couple of heavy duty lures to cope with those conditions.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Nice fishing Dave. I will openly admit I lack the drive to do much before work, so kudos for manning up and getting out there, even more so for the fish.

I've never used a Rudra, or any from that maker, so I'll be investigating the OSP range over winter.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Funny how it sucks getting up early to go to work, I leave home about 6.30am. But getting up even earlier to squeeze in some fishing is easy-The power of motivation I guess.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Ben,
Funny thing about the Rudra, retrieving with the rod tip high has a pretty dramatic effect on the depth the lure runs at. Have managed to "get away" with fishing it on a couple of shallow marks. Have to agree that the Rudra is one of those "all round" useful lures, along with the likes of the Duo SLD-F, Patchinko, and for many the Zonk.
Well done Dave, nice bonus before work eh. And as for the statement above, perfect, exactly what I was thinking of writing as I was reading the thread. Hold the tip up high and the Rudra doesnt lose its action, it just swims shallower with a lovely roll. I think its the spoon shaped bib, great for slow speed retrieve too.

·
Banned
1,282 Posts
Nice fishing Dave, I've lost 3 jobs ( a very long time ago ) because I was fishing and dare not fish before work because I Know what would happen if the fishing was good.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts