The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit late but thought I'd post anyway.
I launched my inflatable last sunday at 4am from a local beach and rowed out into deeper water. Before I even got the engine cranked up, I decided to have a chuck. My Z-claw had just hit the water and bang - fish on! Not a monster at about 1.5lbs but my fastest ever! this was follwed by 3 more in the same area between 1.5 and 2.5lbs and lots of splashes and swirls with no hook ups. I also had a daddy mackeral of at least 2.5lbs on the Z-claw - what a fight! I thought I was into a bass of 4 or 5lbs! My 1st ever mack off the top.

After the mack, I put my lure over a recently submerged boulder and following a huge splash, my bushwhacker bent double and then all of a sudden went slack. I was gutted.
My 15lb fluoro leader had parted and I had left 20 quids worth of lure in what would've been my PB bass's mouth. Hopefully it managed to lose it quickly.
I was angry with myself as a few casts earlier I crossed a patch of kelp and got snagged. I tightened the drag but forgot to reset it. Idiot.

I then popped on a patchinko and, even though there were still a few fish showing, I had no interest at all. Same with the Mag Popper. Obviously they were only interested in the quieter but more fish-like Z-claw...

I moved to another very shallow area further up the coast and again no interest in the popper. I decided to give the Xlayer a go and after a few gentle knocks which I thought were pollack, I hooked into a nice bass of about 3lbs. This was followed by a lovely chunky wrasse - haven't had one of these in years, and then a little pollack of about a pound.

All in all an action packed session, some nice fish and unfortunately a 'one that got away' story. You live and learn. :wink:

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one Mark! Well done on all the fish, and unlucky on the loss :-( Sounds like a proper fun morning!!

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Great report Mark. I did the same thing with my drag last week on the Pike, and lost one in a similar fashion. The guys with me called it 'bad angling' . . . that's sympathy from your mates eh :evil: ?

Anyway, great session you had there !! :clap:

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Well done Mark, enjoyed the report :-D

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Well done on a nice session. Reminds me that I must crush all my barbs before my next trip.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Good session there mark -well done on the mackerel ,had one with a komomo II a couple of weeks ago - only about a pound,suprising what they'll take !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts