The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A group of us hit a South coast mark this morning. We, well, some of us, met at 3:30am. Others, the 'one', couldn't get out of bed. After a song and dance routine, he finally joined us but that's another story for another day.

Myself, Mark Sleep, Callum, Ritchie and Paul B worked the clear water and current and had a half dozen Wrasse and Mark had a few Pollack too earlier on the plug. Callum lost a Bass. Loads of bites but there were periods of inactivity. I dropped off a few fish and Callum bumped off a few that I saw. One of those was whilst he was taking a photo and his line started off the wrong way in the current. He went to wind in to find that bottom was moving.

The guys will hopefully add the photo's they have to this thread later when they are free.
Another good session really with more lessons learned.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Early doors men 3.30 am is a fine time to be heading off to a mark my other half thinks were mad going at 4.30 but thats fishing for ya, got to be in it to win it

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
How do you find the xlayer on this set up Keith have a ready to go with this style of hook just waiting for a few fish to show up on the Wexford coast to take a few lures,

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I prefer xlayers on straight shank hooks Texas rigged, on Carolina or, plainly on a jig head.
Very versatile.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Barry. That is a hitchhiker hook carrying 7g around the shank. To be honest it was a bit OTT on a normal xlayer, but I wanted to be able to rig one weedless and bump it over boulders, and it worked. It overpowers the natural fluidity of the body I think. But those weighted hooks with the spring to curl the SP onto are really useful.

Keith, flight cancelled! Result, Thank you Iceland, no London for me. Let me know what your plans are for tmo if you head out?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Well I wasn't able to make it for 3.30am but fair play to the others for trying. Sorry to hear Richie got lost on the way down, it is scary mark for anyone wearing a red tracksuit top. LOL.

I have three early starts in a row so up at 5am was enough for me. I found eventually found a couple of fish in a gulley that seems to hold some fish for a while on the rising tide. First fish was a scrappy one and the second was a little bit better but to be honest the Injection was easily up to the job. That's a 5.8" Jackall worm in the photos - compare that to the paddle tail on the second fish. On the right gear these are great adversaries on lures.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The update from the weekend so far and other stuff in the latest blog article.

http://www.jerseybassguides.com/bas...8/tick-tock-one-secret-for-hrf-wrasse-fishing

Enjoy.

Still pics missing so will add as I receive them. Just so much going on it's crazy. Might take up golf, it'd be easier...LOL

I have a revealing and quite disturbing image showing why you should never try to get to a cliff mark in the dark, ALONE. Evidence of the fear was revealed to Callum and I and the camera was there to record it in all it's horror. Should I post it though. It's a dilemma.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one Keith. Just off now for some of the same with any luck. I've never had a wrasse from the mark I'm gonna fish but I'm sure there must be odd ones there. Will report back later.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kev makes em from coiled telephone flex I think. He'd be the best guy to answer this. The coiled lanyard is awesome. On our pliers too.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
he will be if he ever recovers mentally ha ha im sure keith will reveal

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Barry. That is a hitchhiker hook carrying 7g around the shank. To be honest it was a bit OTT on a normal xlayer, but I wanted to be able to rig one weedless and bump it over boulders, and it worked. It overpowers the natural fluidity of the body I think. But those weighted hooks with the spring to curl the SP onto are really useful.

Have a few with a similar idea in mind good to know it dose the buisness have the giant xlayers for these babys..the spring is a great little extra

1 - 20 of 22 Posts