The Lure Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the time i hear about Easterly winds... "no point in going fishing"..
"Easterly's put the fish down":???:
Is this a myth?
What are people's opinions on it?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I tend to think it is a myth, I can't see the bass no feeding (under water) because there is easterly wind blowing (above the water).
However it can and does effect fishing, changes the speed and strength of rips, changes the areas where the bait will hold. So fishing the "normal" marks might not be as productive as normal.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
The yanks on the NE coast of the USA love Easterlies to blow.

Why ?

Here are 2 of probably many reasons..

Bait is pushed inshore to thier generally East facing coastline.
Air is being warmed as it passes over the gulf stream.

Apply similar logic to your own marks and forget traditional nonsense.
Jeez, they used to say the moon was made of cheese and the earth was flat...

Move on.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Yeah & what about the Clangers & the soup dragon & the music tree all b00ll0cks I suppose Keith?????????????

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
East is OK, just need to go to different marks, your good SW and W marks may not fish at all in Easterlies due to the effect they have on the water, fish may just be in the next bay which faces a different direction. it likely comes from parts of the country where all the marks face the same way maybe??

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
It definately means you have to try different tactics. I have felt defeated before on easterlies and gone anyway and on one particular dreadful day me and an old mate (god rest his soul) bagged 16 bass in about an hour. I also had one of my PB's on the shore on an easterly, 6lb 8oz I think it was and it wasnt the only bass that trip, and I was out thewest of the island to get the wind behind me. So it shows the fish are there, just maybe harder than normal to catch.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
In all honesty an easterly wind does not deter me going fishing. Possibly an easterly to the old commercial fishermen was a cold wind & maybe catch rates were lower & that's were the saying comes from.
On the east coast of Yorkshire they like a good easterly to get the cod feeding close inshore. I like an easterly because it gives the west coast of the IoM time to settle & not be plagued with weed.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The yanks on the NE coast of the USA love Easterlies to blow.

Why ?

Here are 2 of probably many reasons..

Bait is pushed inshore to thier generally East facing coastline.
Air is being warmed as it passes over the gulf stream.

Apply similar logic to your own marks and forget traditional nonsense.
Jeez, they used to say the moon was made of cheese and the earth was flat...

Move on.
The Earth IS flat where i fish.....that makes it easy to move on...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts